The evil stealing wind farms....!?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:30 am
carrie wrote:
I didn't realise they produced that little energy.

Quote:

Seems to me, they want to use the most modern (and 'powerful') turbines.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:39 am
It is very efficient, I understand, so powerful turbines would save energy I presume. There must be a justification, otherwise why would the proposals be there. Previous use of them has, I understand generated many benefits in countries where it is utilised efficiently. It seems to me that the benefits are blurred by people's nostalgia for their environments, which happens in many many situations.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:46 am
The 'regional conservators' are up in arms against them here as well.

This site shows the energy dates of a local windparc here (part of the biggest in inshore Europe). (Although in German, it should be understandble: 9 Enercon E 40 mit 500 kW Nabenhöhe 65 m = 9 engines of ...made/typ ... 500 kW with engine in 65 m height.
First 4 are by co-operatives, the last ones by single privare owners.)
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:18 am
Thanks for the link
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:37 pm
There is some impact, but it is typically less than other energy sources. With honest accounting, it is less costly than other energy sources with the possible exception of coal. Favorable locations are rather rare, so those impacted by the noise and dead birds, need to make the sacrifice for future humanity as a whole IMHO = in my humble opinion. A thousand times increase in wind power KWH will not effect the world climate significantly, and local effects of importance will be rare IMHO. A 1000 times increase is likely the upper limit of practicality in this century. Likely we will find something better by the end of this century, but we should not wait.
The 60 hertz electromagnetic waves (EM) from the windmills and their powerlines will have a bad health impact on very few people IMHO. Other impacts are less significant IMHO. Neil
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:33 pm
"Boosting U.S. wind energy installations to approximately eight times today's levels could create 150,000 manufacturing jobs nationwide, with most jobs being added in the 20 states that have lost the most over the past three years, according to a report released today by the Renewable Energy Policy Project (REPP)."

Press release

Wind Turbine Development: Location of Manufacturing Activity(PDF; 1.65 MB)
0 Replies