a sudden drop in vistors?

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:21 pm
webmedic came out with a mod that uses the rewrite rules to take the name of a forum or topic and use that as a url. I tried doing that and it worked okay. But now I noticed that my hits have dropped from 1600 a day to about 600 and dropping still. Most, about 95%, of my traffic comes from google, could it be negatively accepting the changes that I made? Somehow thinking that the names of the pages didn't change but are altogether new, or perhaps google thinks I'm falsely duplicating information in some way and penalizing me for it? Other than that I don't know what could have caused this. I just switched back to what I had originally, so I guess I'll see what happens, but any input would be appreciated. webmedics mod, was very interesting in that the topics and forums names and titles where used in the url. *sigh* oh well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,449 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:30 pm
Can you pm me a link to the mod?
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:12 pm
pm sent. do you think the change in rewrite could have affected anything?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:52 pm
It could be, but it could be one of the other mods you have installed. Many of them are detrimental to seo.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:53 am
recently I started using integramod pre modded phpbb. I tried to cut things out, I'll try harder to take out the unnecessary content.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:58 pm
Arg, you need to choose. Do you want a forum with all the bells and whistles that can be crammed into convoluted code or do you want a functional one?

The integramod is a SEO nightmare, it's for script-kiddies who want to add any and every mod.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 03:08 pm
well, I used your mod with it. It does have a lot of usefull features and they work well together. But you're right. a933ti and I have been talking and we want to make it more seo nice. From my understanding, all I have to do is strip away everything but the actual content, right? I guess I'll be using the switches a lot.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 03:09 pm
but do you honestly believe that's why I've been doing poorly so far? is it integramod or the change in rewrite codes?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:51 pm
I can only guess at what it actually is, I haven't been following your development and server logs.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:40 am
okay, you're absolutely right. What steps then could I take to determine what the problem or reason for the drop is?

When I asked about changing the rewrite code to use yours, you said that the pages that google indexed would still be there so long as the code in htaccess remained there.

But, if I change rewrite codes then doesn't that look as if it's a new page to a a spyder? Hence a spyder like google would have to re-rank all the pages even if the content is the same because it believes it to be a new page because of the different title. Is that logic sound or faulty?

If the above is true, then it would make sense that eventually my page rank for each of the topics would be restored when google finishes analyzing them all again and then the number of visitors should go back to normal.
0 Replies