8
   

Existence of God.

 
 
InfraBlue
 
  2  
Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 10:52 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Could you expand on what you mean by GOD?

For some the stomach is god.

Sure, the stomach god is the god of this world, along with the sports god, the patriotism god, the dollar god, the prestige god, Zeus, Mars and the Devil himself. You have a multitude of world ruling gods.
dalehileman
 
  2  
Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 11:20 am
@jeremiahscheidt,
Quote:
What?
What what
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  2  
Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 06:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
It appears your understanding is at least as good as that of the OP.

But would you consider expanding your concept of the god of this world? It seems so erudite,
rosborne979
 
  2  
Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 07:39 pm
@jeremiahscheidt,
jeremiahscheidt wrote:
could you expand on this belief

Could you expand on which God you are asking about and on why you think this question is meaningful.
0 Replies
 
SolidAir
 
  2  
Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 09:16 pm
Religion stopped people stealing/hurting others and meant they were scared to do wrong hence control and hence civilization.
Law has helped in modern times since we have learned more.
InfraBlue
 
  2  
Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 04:45 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

It appears your understanding is at least as good as that of the OP.

But would you consider expanding your concept of the god of this world? It seems so erudite,

I'm merely going by your word salad.
InfraBlue
 
  2  
Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 04:47 pm
@SolidAir,
SolidAir wrote:

Religion stopped people stealing/hurting others and meant they were scared to do wrong hence control and hence civilization.
Law has helped in modern times since we have learned more.

Religion and law have stopped people stealing and hurting each other?

Who knew?!
0 Replies
 
coluber2001
 
  2  
Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 06:53 pm
@jwagner,
Quote:
Evolution eliminates any need for a "God"


Yeah. Galileo gave the Christian god a mortal blow and in 1632 was tried by the church and found guilty. In 1992 the catholic church admitted they were wrong. Not exactly an apology, but it took 360 years to get even that.

Then Darwin and Wallace gave the Christian god a coup de grace. though he's still running around with his head cut off, and he still has followers who deny evolution. As jwagner said, with evolution there is no need for the supernatural.

I think if you want to experience the divine, you have to end any concepts of gods.
coluber2001
 
  2  
Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:05 pm
@jeremiahscheidt,
jeremiahscheidt said,
"Have you considered that evolution does not exist?"

Well, maybe gravity doesn't exist, but I'm pretty sure it does. Neil deGrasse Tyson says that "the theory of evolution is a fact."
neologist
 
  2  
Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
It appears your understanding is at least as good as that of the OP.

But would you consider expanding your concept of the god of this world? It seems so erudite,
InfraBlue wrote:
I'm merely going by your word salad.
Somehow you failed to notice the singular identity assigned to the one called "god of this world". Inasmuch as anything that is worshiped can be termed "god"; and considering that at Isaiah 9:6, Jesus is referred to as "Mighty God", we do well to identify the one from whom Jesus distanced himself as the "ruler (or prince, god) of this world" at John 14:30.
neologist
 
  2  
Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:23 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:
. . . Galileo gave the Christian god a mortal blow and in 1632 was tried by the church and found guilty. . . .
Galileo was a believer. His contention was with the Church.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  2  
Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:27 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:
. . . Neil deGrasse Tyson says that "the theory of evolution is a fact."
I know . . . Ain't that a kick . . . A smart guy like that who would gloss over the definitions of hypothesis, theory, and law. Oy.
cicerone imposter
 
  2  
Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 07:36 pm
@SolidAir,
Religion also was responsible for many wars that killed.

Quote:
Lowest estimate Highest estimate Event
3,000,000 11,500,000 Thirty Years' War
2,000,000 4,000,000 French Wars of Religion
1,000,000 2,000,000 Second Sudanese Civil War
1,000,000 3,000,000 Crusades
1 more row, 5 more columns
Religious war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_warWikipedia
0 Replies
 
Lilkanyon
 
  2  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 12:18 am
I know a faithful Muslim that believes all gays should be executed. Its her belief. Trying to convince her thats terrible is the same thing as trying to convince a believer in God there is none...a big waste of time. People believe what they want to believe, because mostly they have been brainwashed into it. I was raised believing in God, most were. Only when I became an adult, I realized how silly it was, but I still struggle to let go. I do believe God is a brainwash, and it can take decades to dissolve. That does not mean some of the teachings in the bible are warrantless. I just treat them like Aesops fables instead of a supernatural force.
InfraBlue
 
  2  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 12:39 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

neologist wrote:
It appears your understanding is at least as good as that of the OP.

But would you consider expanding your concept of the god of this world? It seems so erudite,
InfraBlue wrote:
I'm merely going by your word salad.
Somehow you failed to notice the singular identity assigned to the one called "god of this world". Inasmuch as anything that is worshiped can be termed "god"; and considering that at Isaiah 9:6, Jesus is referred to as "Mighty God", we do well to identify the one from whom Jesus distanced himself as the "ruler (or prince, god) of this world" at John 14:30.

Sure, and add to that your conflation of the idea of worshiping one's stomach, patriotism, etc. and you get word salad. Erudition indeed.
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 01:03 am
When Newologist comes here and babbles about "the god of this world," he means "Satan," because his main mission in life is to peddle that Watchtower bullsh*t. When he speaks about evolution, he babbles from profound ignorance. After having told us for years that he majored in psych at university, he has suddenly revealed that he had formerly been a Chem major, and that he objects to a theory of evolution on the basis of the scientific method. He objects, he says, because of speciation and macroevolution. He then proceeds to display his ignorance about speciation. I recently replied by pointed out that species are also defined by sexual isolation and genetic drift, and provided the example of polar bears and brown bears (grizzlies). His response was to call that a straw man, displaying his ignorance both of evolutionary biology and of logical fallacies. He then trotted out that holy roller favorite, to the effect that his dog is still a dog. But dogs are not wolves, or dholes, or jackals, even though they can all successfully breed interspecifically. That's because he really doesn't understand speciation or macroevolution. Really, in the long string of god botherers we've had here who babble about evolution, he is one of the least informed.

There is no difference between Newy and the creep that pounds on your door early on Saturday morning, trying to foist a copy of the Watchtower magazine off on you.
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 10:19 am
@Lilkanyon,
Lilkanyon wrote:
. . . People believe what they want to believe . . .
See. That wasn't hard, was it?

The question then becomes 'will some people be willing to question their beloved bias?'
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 10:20 am
@InfraBlue,
All I provided was the words. You are the salad chef.
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 10:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
When Newologist comes here and babbles about "the god of this world," he means "Satan," because his main mission in life is to peddle that Watchtower bullsh*t. When he speaks about evolution, he babbles from profound ignorance. After having told us for years that he majored in psych at university, he has suddenly revealed that he had formerly been a Chem major, and that he objects to a theory of evolution on the basis of the scientific method. He objects, he says, because of speciation and macroevolution. He then proceeds to display his ignorance about speciation. I recently replied by pointed out that species are also defined by sexual isolation and genetic drift, and provided the example of polar bears and brown bears (grizzlies). His response was to call that a straw man, displaying his ignorance both of evolutionary biology and of logical fallacies. He then trotted out that holy roller favorite, to the effect that his dog is still a dog. But dogs are not wolves, or dholes, or jackals, even though they can all successfully breed interspecifically. That's because he really doesn't understand speciation or macroevolution. Really, in the long string of god botherers we've had here who babble about evolution, he is one of the least informed.

There is no difference between Newy and the creep that pounds on your door early on Saturday morning, trying to foist a copy of the Watchtower magazine off on you.
Those who wish to revisit the exchanges Setanta refers to are welcome to read the discussion which started about here, more or less. Nothing more needs to be said.
0 Replies
 
coluber2001
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 11:05 am
Any religion has to adapt and evolve with the science and knowledge of the times, otherwise it comes in conflict with itself and becomes nothing more than a defense mechanism, and it eventually becomes extinct, it dies. The beautiful, living poetry of religion becomes an ugly, prosaic, extinct beast. So what are the young, potential followers to do?

This has been the fate of all past religions. The poetry is in the metaphorical and not in the literal interpretation. Religion must remain subjective and not try to become objective; that's the realm of science.
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Existence of God.
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/15/2019 at 08:29:04