Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:10 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 892 • Replies: 7
No top replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:14 am
Failure to plan is planning to fail. Look for a hungrier team in 2008 with something to prove.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 07:28 am
This plus Lakers losing (individual talent off the charts, team talent abysmal) might actually shake things up. Problem is, money-wise, the NBA wants their superstars. They want people to buy purple jerseys with "Shaq" on 'em, and posters, and... Meanwhile the product placement people want superstars to hawk their wares.

I think Michael Jordan is where it shifted, he truly played with in the team (-sigh- triangle -sigh-) while also being a superstar. (OK, I have a hard time imagining him sitting there for a quarter, but still.) Then people after him wanted to be like Mike but went for the superstar aspects and not the teamwork aspects.

Anyway, Allen's comments are cool. I doubt anything will change, but the idea is nice.

Maybe it'll benefit the WNBA -- there was a great quote from Lisa Leslie about the men's team watching and seeing how it's done.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 07:38 am
you're spot on Soz...the WNBA plays much more team BB. The NBA is an entertainment conglomerate.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm
maybe they should let the NBA champ represent, instead of picking a last-minute all-star team that has zero chemistry?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:46 pm
Hhhhhmmmm...So you think Detroit would have won Gold? You might have something there.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:49 pm
Sozobe is so right about the way the NBA has evolved under the Stern Regime.

And that's why I prefer college hoops. It's still a team game, most of the time, and with the biggest stars opting for the NBA early in their careers, the teams that win tend to be those that stick together for the duration...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:50 pm
Yeah...the dance is a great tournament...I agree.
0 Replies