Not enough RAM

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:55 am
So I'm trying to install my new HP photosmart 7700 printer, and it said while it meets the minium requirements, a few of the components will not work because I lack the RAM.

I removed my DVD player, microsoft, money, MSN messenger, and several music files I just used to "get in the mood" anyway ...but does creating more disk space help the RAM (memory) at all?

Is there anything I can do to help in any way?

We are getting a new computer next year (prob. around christmas 05), so I don't mean purchasing help by purchasing more RAM or anything but I'd like to be able to organize my wedding pictures and post them on my homepage w/o it crashing when May (the date) comes around. I'll do my best to not add more stuff to my computer (that I purchased in 1999).

I do things like run Adaware, scan disk, and frag. regularly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,159 • Replies: 12
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
256 RAM strip costs $50. Maybe you could add one...I did.My HP is 5 years old.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:28 am
Are they hard to install?

Why is this a good purchase? Meaning, how does it help me?

Obviously a 101 question for someone who doesn't know computers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:40 am
Additional RAM is one of the cheapest ways to make your computer run better.

This site will let you know how much RAM your computer can take, and what size. You can buy from Crucial, but you don't have to. Many of the electronics places have sales on RAM. Check out your Sunday ads.

http://www.crucial.com/

It is not difficult, but if you have never done this before, I would suggest that you get a grounding strap, which you can get for a few bucks in Radio Shack.

I know, you don't really need one, but it IS a safety precaution for the novice!

Crucial even gives you a step by step installation guide.

http://www.crucial.com/support/install.asp

Here is the explanation about a grounding strap:

Quote:
Ground yourself.

Static electricity can damage your module and other computer parts. You need to ground yourself to avoid "shocking" your computer. If you have wrist straps designed for this purpose, you should wear them. If you don't have wrist straps, here is the easiest way to ground yourself:

Turn off the computer, monitor, and all accessories (printer, speakers, etc.)
Leave the computer power cord plugged in. (It's OK to unplug your accessories if you like.)
Briefly touch an unpainted metal part of your computer case.
Plant your feet and don't walk around. If you do need to walk around, ground yourself again before touching any of the internal parts of your computer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:41 am
I added ram in my prior computer with no difficulty other than unplugging and replugging every little wire. It kind of depends on how accessable the manufacturer made the box. Instructions should be with the computer handbook, including how to ground the computer.

Unless you have something running that competes for ram, cleaning up the disk isn't going to make much, if any difference.

Are you sure, by the way, that the message indicated a lack of computer memory? I would hate to see you upgrade, only to find out that the printer needed more ram.

You just wait, Joahaeyo. Monger, or somebody else with a lot of smarts will tell you all about it.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:20 am
Quote:
removed my DVD player, microsoft, money, MSN messenger, and several music files I just used to "get in the mood" anyway ...but does creating more disk space help the RAM (memory) at all?

No it will not help.
Perhaps increasing the virtual memory might help a little bit but the problem will not be fixed.

Quote:
Are they hard to install?

No just be sure to plug them. If they were not installed in the right way, your computer won't boot and you'll hear a permanent voice like this: tout tout tout tout...

how much of RAM do you have right now?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:55 pm
this is great input! thanks.

Current Ram: 64 - something?

Yes, I'm sure that is what the warning said when I uploaded my printer. It however runs fine (to my knowledge). I just will be adding an entire album of wedding pics and doing a lot of homepage work in the coming months.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:43 pm
If u wanna use your printer with the 64 MB, you should restart your PC to free RAM and then you shouldn't open any application while using the printer. It may works just fine.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
joajeayo

yep, 64 mb is pretty low nowadays...512 is probably average

ram is the memory that your computer uses to run things, the hard drive is the memory that it uses to store things...so it doesn't really matter how much is on your hard drive as long as your hard drive isn't filled to the BRIM
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
If you have xp you can make virtual memory (make a part of your hard drive work as RAM) I don't know if you can do that with other operating systems.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:45 am
JoeFX wrote:
If you have xp you can make virtual memory (make a part of your hard drive work as RAM) I don't know if you can do that with other operating systems.

This is the defualt in OS X and Linux.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:20 am
Virtual memory is also enabled by default with every version of Windows, & just about every other operating system out there.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:33 am
I don't have XP.

Quote:
yep, 64 mb is pretty low nowadays...512 is probably average

ram is the memory that your computer uses to run things, the hard drive is the memory that it uses to store things...so it doesn't really matter how much is on your hard drive as long as your hard drive isn't filled to the BRIM

Wow. I didn't know that. I remember when I got my computer, 64mb was considered excellent.

Guess I should tell my parents that it's time to get rid of their TANDY computer.
0 Replies