What's so special about Feb. 2?

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
Seal -- I agree with you. 'Bah humbug' is the only appropriate response to the mass insanity which invades our lives at the time of the Winter Solstice each year.

Edgar -- conversely, I also agree with you that this is no reason to inflict my personal cynicism on the kiddies. I remember being one and Christmas was, indeed, a magical season. But, somewhere along the line, when they start to get a little older, the bag-humbug aspect should be gently pointed out to them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 07:17 pm
Winter without the tinsel and excitement would be long and dreary indeed. No humbugs for me, thanks.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 07:31 pm
Well tomorrow is the big day everyone. It was 70f here in Fort Worth today and the forecast for 75f on Sunday so I guess it is spring in Texas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 09:37 pm
Yeah; it's spring until next weekend. After that, who knows. In Houston we sweat one day and wear a jacket the next.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 09:54 pm
Same here and now we have this thunderstorm heading our way so we will have heat and humidity, my favorite.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 10:04 pm
I saw a prediction on television that Feb is expected to be colder than normal. But, how cold does that have to be?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 12:37 am
Happy Birthday, James Joyce (120)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 02:54 am
James Joyce a favorite of mine. The most intelligent writer almost ever in the whole wide world. My favorite fact about Joyce is that he learned Norwegin so he could read Ibesen without a translation.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:37 am
All the talk of Joyce on another thread has almost inspired me to give those minor works of his a try.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 07:09 am
Happy birthday, son!

Larry: awesome quote.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 07:52 am
Thanks - just remembering that the movie The Right Stuff sure made Grissom look bad.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 07:54 am
I've read and love most of Joyce with the exception of Finnegan's Wake. At this stage of my life I doubt that I ever will get to it.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 07:57 am
Edgar:

If not now, when? Start reading right now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 08:16 am
I'm pretty sure I will not get to it. I did watch a film of it that at least gave me a broad hint of what it is about. It is the only English language film I have seen with English subtitles, although the subtitles often played on the words the way Joyce did.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 08:05 pm
Did James Joyce see his shadow today???

Ar n-Athair, ata ar neamh: go naofar d'ainm. Go dtaga do Riocht. Go ndeantar do thoil ar an talamh, mar dheantar ar neamh. Ar n-aran laethiul tabhkair duinn. Maith sinn ar ar bhfiacha, mar mhaithimid dar bhfeichiunaithe fein. Agus na' lig sinn i gcathu, ach saor sinn o olc. Oir is leatsa an Riocht agus an Chumhacht agus an Ghloir, tre shaol na saol.

amen
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 08:12 pm
Is he a groundhog?
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 08:31 pm
It is the groundhog thread isn't it?

Are you a real Texan?

Go mbeannai Dia duit
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 10:11 pm
Some folks think I'm a Texan. Unless my mother lied to me I was born in west Texas. My daughter (one of them) was born in Houston on groundhog day.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 11:32 pm
Where in West Texas Edgar? I'm from West Texas, Stamford.

My husband and I plan to drive from Boston and be there in July for the Cowboy Reunion. My son and his wife and grandson are flying in from Colorado. There is an old flying school airstrip outside of Stamford called Arledge Field, and he can park his Cessna there.

Oil Field Trash and Proud of it!!!!!!!
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 11:33 pm
Happy Birthday to your daughter.
0 Replies