writing ( 16 )

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:10 am
When Heather was a little girl ,she lived in the booneis of Vermont with her crunchy mother and dad.They had a rooster, a bunch of chickens,a dog and a pony.Heather'job was to feed the animals early morning.She would sprinkle food to the chickens,gather the eggs and feed the other animals .

One day , Heather had put some strong vitamine ( pheromone ) in the food which the rooster didn't like.She knew what the consequences would be, so she started to take up a stick with her whenever she walked into the chickens' coop.She would swing with the stick back and forth using one hand while she sprinkled food with the other.So,anything would come anywhere near the stick would get one big healthy smack.

For times,this arrangement worked merrily, but one day the rooster managed to get past the stick and attacked Heather in the forehead with his evil talons.

Her dad decided to chop the rooster head off and that what he did.From the porch,Heather watched the rooster runing around with his head up until he was caught.She couldn't do anything and believed that he deserved that.

Few years later, when Heather was 11,the crunchy family decided to move out to a city in Clifornia.They stayed with her uncle and aunt's house who they themselves lived there only two or three years ago.

Her aunt was a Jewish doctor from Massa. and she was a citified woman.She would get up early morning , walked around the house to smell the fresh morning air.Heather remembered this as a good habit.

As being a custom , her family brought the usual things; a bunch of chickens,the dog and a new rooster ofcourse.Her aunt's family weren't familiar with animals being a city raised people.

The question was, who was going to feed the animals?Yes,that's right,it was Heather.

As a girl with a previous experience,Heather took with her a baseball bat this time whenever she went into the coop.She was very careful and she used the same old technique;feeding the chickens with one hand and defending herself with the other.But the rooster was smarter than her next time that somehow gouged her face with his claws.

As the man of the house , her uncle decided that he must kill the rooster.And as a country girl who used to pluck chickens, he asked Heather to be his accomplish in this.

After along chase after the rooster, her uncle managed to catch it.Heather held the rooster down a stump,though she looked in another direction while her uncle was doing the job.

As she closing her eyes,she heard a rather strange sound that she couldn't describe.But when she looked down,she found her uncle using a serrated bread knife.She screamed,"what are you doing?"and let go off the rooster.Her uncle was confused and the rooster was runing around with a half head off.Heather ran after him yelling,"catch that rooster".When she managed to cathch it , the rooster was already dead.Did I mention that her uncle was a doctor?.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 516 • Replies: 5
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:25 am
Quote:
When Heather was a little girl ,she lived in the booneis of Vermont with her crunchy mother and dad.

it would be better to say, "Heather grew up in the boonies of Vermont"

also, "mother" goes with "father", and "mom" goes with "dad", it's best not to switch them up

but in this case, you could just say "parents"

"crunchy" might not be the right word, it usually refers to people with holistic views or grown-up-hippies, not too the rural farmer type. most of the Vermont farmers are not former hippies, and are very dissimilar...

by the way, I live in Vermont

Quote:
They had a rooster, a bunch of chickens,a dog and a pony.Heather'job was to feed the animals early morning.

...early every morning...

Quote:
One day , Heather had put some strong vitamine ( pheromone ) in the food which the rooster didn't like.

I don't know much about chicken-feed, but pheromones are not vitamins

Quote:
She knew what the consequences would be, so she started to take up a stick with her whenever she walked into the chickens' coop.She would swing with the stick back and forth using one hand while she sprinkled food with the other.So,anything would come anywhere near the stick would get one big healthy smack.

well...chickens don't have much of a memory. I must admit this scenario sounds pretty unrealistic.

but grammatically:

Anything that came near the stick would get one big, healthy, smack.

we put commas around healthy because it is a parenthetical element

Quote:
For times,this arrangement worked merrily, but one day the rooster managed to get past the stick and attacked Heather in the forehead with his evil talons.

This arrangement seemed to work fine for some time, but one day the rooster managed to get past the stick and attack Heather with it's sharp talons.

* you must say "for some time" rather than "for times"

* merrily is not the right word, it is too jovial, it's associated more with Christmass and happy times

* you are talking in present tense, then switch to past tense when you say "attacked"...you need to stick with your tense

* talon's aren't really evil...this description is not entirely invalid but I think you should be careful about the use of the word evil, as it is a very strong word

Quote:
Her dad decided to chop the rooster head off and that what he did.From the porch,Heather watched the rooster runing around with his head up until he was caught.She couldn't do anything and believed that he deserved that.

* ...to chop the rooster's head off

need this to be possessive

* ...off, and that's just what he did.

"that what he did" makes no sense

* ..Heather watched the chicken running around with it's head off

the chicken is best referred to as an "it", and "up" doesn't make any sense here

Quote:
She couldn't do anything and believed that he deserved that

I don't understand what you mean by this

Quote:
Few years later, when Heather was 11,the crunchy family decided to move out to a city in Clifornia.

* A few years later...

* don't repeat crunchy, you should never repeat the adjectives more than once

Quote:
They stayed with her uncle and aunt's house who they themselves lived there only two or three years ago.

* just a little nitpick, we usually say "aunt and uncle" rather than "uncle and aunt"

* very confusing wording, try this

They stayed with her aunt and uncle's, who had just moved into their new house in the last few years.

Quote:
Her aunt was a Jewish doctor from Massa. and she was a citified woman.She would get up early morning , walked around the house to smell the fresh morning air.Heather remembered this as a good habit.

* you should use Heather rather than a pronoun here, because technically "her" refers back to aunt, which would make you be talking about Heather's aunt's aunt

* citified = nooo... perhaps "urban"? or better yet, just say she was from the city.

Quote:
As being a custom , her family brought the usual things; a bunch of chickens,the dog and a new rooster ofcourse.Her aunt's family weren't familiar with animals being a city raised people.

* as was custom,

* use a colon not a semicolon to separate a list

* use a comma before "of course"

* ...were not familiar with animals, having been raised in the city.

Quote:
As a girl with a previous experience,Heather took with her a baseball bat this time whenever she went into the coop.She was very careful and she used the same old technique;feeding the chickens with one hand and defending herself with the other.But the rooster was smarter than her next time that somehow gouged her face with his claws.

* Having previous experience,...

* smarter than her this time

although, this implies that she was smarter than it last time...and you might say it outsmarted her both times, so perhaps you should say, "smarter than her once again"

* ..., and somehow gouged...

Quote:
As the man of the house , her uncle decided that he must kill the rooster.And as a country girl who used to pluck chickens, he asked Heather to be his accomplish in this.

* we already know their status, so there is no need to say "as a man of the house" or "as a country girl"

* to be his accomplice

accomplish is a different word

Quote:
After along chase after the rooster, her uncle managed to catch it.Heather held the rooster down a stump,though she looked in another direction while her uncle was doing the job.

* after a long

2 words not 1 word

Quote:
As she closing her eyes,she heard a rather strange sound that she couldn't describe.But when she looked down,she found her uncle using a serrated bread knife.

* you have another tense error, try one of these:

"as she was closing" or "as she closed"

Quote:
She screamed,"what are you doing?"and let go off the rooster.Her uncle was confused and the rooster was runing around with a half head off.

* your way works, but it is better to read if you put the quote first,

"what are you doing?" she screamed.

* with half of it's head cut off

again, don't forget to leave what you're referencing out of the sentence

Quote:
Heather ran after him yelling,"catch that rooster".When she managed to cathch it , the rooster was already dead.Did I mention that her uncle was a doctor?.

in this case, it's better to have the quote after like you did it. I'm not sure why.

the last sentence is quite out of place

that was a lot of work, I need a break!
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:57 am
Thanks stuh.You are great .

I missed up this time.I really wanted to say accomplice lol.I thought it's fine to use a small letter after a comma.My previous post wasn't edited and it's ok believe me.I just don't want to be a pain in the butt Sad
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:05 pm
yes, a letter after a comma should not be capitalized...I meant to indicate that should be the start of a new sentence because "So, " was not needed. sorry for the confusion
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:41 pm
Thanks stuh, I'll write everyday untill I'll be just like you or like Debra or like fortune.But I won't give up friend.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:45 pm
Why not ? My teacher used to call me the professor Cool .He was an American and he was crazy like me.He used to put me alone away from others,so nobody would cheat.That what he thought at that time but I was smarter and everybody passed the exam Cool
0 Replies