Found a heavy metal-like rock today

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 04:03 pm
Hello everyone, today I was on a driveway composed of lava-rocks, and I found this metal rock sticking out from the dirt. It's very heavy, much heavier than a stone, the top is polished from being run over by cars. Any idea what kind of metal this might be? No signs of rust on it anywhere. Also, it's not magnetic.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah58/mnaganter/IMG_0632_zpsucsuh6za.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah58/mnaganter/IMG_0633_zpszirzltcp.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah58/mnaganter/IMG_0634_zpsjwtacwek.jpg

Thanks for any help.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 04:15 pm
@miner1426,
Miner are you sure it's a metal; does it conduct

Does it chip, is it at all glassy
miner1426

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 04:24 pm
@dalehileman,
Not glassy at all, it has a dull grey/blackish exterior, except the exposed part which is shiny silver. I dropped it in a pot of hot water, and it's still holding heat very well a few minutes later. No chipping at all, but when I dropped it in the ceramic pot it left a silver streak where it hit the bottom.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 04:33 pm
@miner1426,
Thanks Miner that might help
Oss, Man, where are you
miner1426

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 05:07 pm
@dalehileman,
Here are some clearer pictures if this helps at all.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah58/mnaganter/IMG_0637_zpseiqwdkni.jpg

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah58/mnaganter/IMG_0636_zps3moodtet.jpg
rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 06:46 pm
@miner1426,
Slag from a furnace somewhere maybe? Is it magnetic?
miner1426

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 06:54 pm
@rosborne979,
It's not magnetic, there were slag rocks mixed into the driveway though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:03 pm
It's black enough to be hematite, though hematite will normally display a metallic luster usually calle adamantine.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:15 pm
@roger,
no he said it left a silver "streak" on the porcelain.
Id do a specific gravity test (you can find instructions on the internet Im sure). Then, after that, if it has a specific gravity of , around 9,5 to 10. 5, its a mineraloid mix with silver in it. If its like 10.5 and up, its an amalgam with silver and probably something heavier.
The silverish streak was what caught my attention.
Roger-hematite gives a reddish streak. NOW, it could be a magnetite or titanite pebble. Magnetite gives a blackish streak.

Specific gravity will tell us. Dont go screwin around with any liquids on metals, all youll do is mess up what could be a nice specimen

RULE 1... Try not to screw up your specimen with very destructive tests.
You can hurt yourself or mess up a specimen. Be very very careful , it has some nice fetures.
I first thought it was a desert varnish bit the streak and the weight, changed my mind.

Good luck
roger

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Roger-hematite gives a reddish streak. NOW, it could be a magnetite or titanite pebble. Magnetite gives a blackish streak.

I forgot about that. I saw black, heavy, and metallic and went for the easy one.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:21 pm
@roger,
Ill ask him if he can make a mark on paper with it?
miner1426

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 07:38 pm
@farmerman,
I did the specific gravity test, 6.28 and 6.32 was the result of two different tests. I cannot mark on paper with the rock. Maybe it was just that bowl I used, but I tried rubbing it on another cup, and no mark came up.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 08:59 pm
@miner1426,
well, it could be the chromite group with iron OR, and that worries me. It could be uraninite cause the sp gr is right in the mid of a mixture with other U minerals and it looks more like pitchblende than chrome.
Get a UV light (short wave light which are usually found in those money testing lights that stores use). If its a uranium base itll flouresce a yellowish (weak but there).
If it is a uraninite. (and Id assume it is until we find out it isnt) Keep it wrappd in some aluminum foil (Two sheets of heavy duty will stop alpha and reduce
beta). Then your problem is what to do with it. Id give it to a mineralogy dept at a local University or a museum that has a geo curator. These people are familiar with handling and disposal protocols. I wouldnt keep it. If its chrome no biggy.

miner1426

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 10:07 pm
@farmerman,
I went to walmart and got a UV light, it's not glowing any that I can tell at all.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:14 am
I thought it might be a smoothed piece if anthracite, but the specific gravity seems too high for that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:49 am
I like some heavy metal, but a lot of it just sounds like undifferentiated noise to me. It certainly does qualify as rock music, though.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 12:41 pm
@miner1426,
Quote:
some clearer pictures
Thanks, sure does look metallic doesn't it Miner
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 12:43 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
it could be a magnetite
But Man isn't magnetite magnetic

I've forgotten so much
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:32 pm
@dalehileman,
your right, I didnt see that he said it wasnt magnetic until after I posted.
miner1426

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
So, basically this is iron and chromite mixed?

Thanks.