REVIEW: CHICAGO

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:20 pm
CHICAGO is a triumph--a big, sardonic, stylish movie musical of the kind Hollywood hasn't made in decades. The cast is wickedly skillful, from Renee Zellweger as Roxie Hart the murderess who wants to be a star to Richard Gere as her mouthpiece Billy Flynn "who's never lost a case for a lady murderer." First-time director Rob Marshall does a superb job with both the dancing and the dialogue, getting terrific supporting performances from Queen Latifah and John C. Reilly. As much as I loathe Harvey Weinstein, the Chairman of Miramax, I have to salute him for making CHICAGO--his gamble on the allegedly defunct musical genre and an unknown director have paid off handsomely.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,722 • Replies: 11
No top replies

couzz

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 12:38 am
Larry:
I am glad you are giving Harvey Weinstein credit. At the recent Golden Globes Ceremony, at least three winners gave thanks to Harvey.

Just a few of the films produced by Harvey in addition to "Chicago":

Gangs of New York, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Chocolat,
The Cider House Rules, Shakespeare in Love, Little Voice,
Good Will Hunting, The English Patient, The City of Angels,
Emma, Restoration & Pulp Fiction.

By the way I enjoyed "Chicago" but the dancing was not up to par.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 09:45 am
MIRAMAX TRACK RECORD
Hi Couzz,

You are wrong about the Tolkien movies. Miramax had nothing to do with producing either the Lord of the Rings or The Two Towers. They were produced by Fine Line.

Miramax has done some good films and some real crap over the years. If people thanked Weinstein at the Golden Globes you can bet they were doling it for political reasons not because they like him, because the man is a pig and a monster with the worst temper in Hollywood.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:53 am
"The Lord of the Rings" started out at Miramax but when Peter Jackson, who wanted to make two films, was told to shrink it down to one film, he bailed on them and went to New Line. New Line suggested it was too difficult to make in two films and thus, for the first time in film history, three films were produced at once. Wise productions executives indeed!

I do agree that too much of the Miramax output is pretentious artiness that falls flat on its face (many directors blaming it on the studio's perchance to cut their films and Scorcese almost got into it with them on "Gangs"). They don't experiment -- they go with the slick dryness approach in an attempt to emulate of James Ivory.
I don't think anyone in their production department had the balls to cut "Chicago" as they had absolutely no idea how to cut a muscial comedy, Rob Morrow proving he could transfer a stage production to film and make it cinematic (outdoing Robert Wise in spades).

I was impressed by the comedic characterizations of Richard Gere and Zeta-Jones (we already knew Zellwegger and Queen Laifah had talents in that direction). I reviewed the film in the Chicago thread but I'd like it restate that this was one of the few films that brings the visceral excitement and joy of seeing a live staged musical.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:56 am
BTW, couzz, I don't think that Ebb and Kander relied that much on dancing any more than they did with "Cabaret." It is the story and the way the songs were integrated into the action that makes "Chicago" fun to watch and assimilate.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:17 pm
Lightwizard is right. CHICAGO is not a dance musical--it depends on the cleverness of the songs and the book. Also, none of the leads is a trained dancer, so you can hardly fault them for not being Gene Kelly or Cyd Charisse.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 05:59 pm
Zeta Jones with her svelt long legs was fine in "All That Jazz" as well as the rest of her numbers, Zellwegger was an aspiring stage entertainer so her dance numbers were the least important until the finale which was typical Twenties vaudville glitz (not too many important dancers came our of vaudville). Gere's easy, swinging tap dancing was just right interspersed with his "tap dancing" in court. A brilliant metaphor which comes off better in the film than on stage.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 10:48 pm
Larry<

I agree with you: "Chicago is a triumph."
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:10 pm
Zeta Jones' legs are NOT long and svelte but long and plump, Lightwizard. The woman is talented but she is a cow. Did you see her at the SAG awards? She could have knocked down the stage with her decolletage. I hope Michael Douglas doesn't let her get on top.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:22 pm
Larry<

I didn't see the SAG awards. If Zeta-Jones appeared "cow-like," perhaps it is caused by her pregnancy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 06:33 pm
larry's emulation of Cruella is quite funny. I thought Zeta-Jones while not as thin and pale as you-know-who (what do you think, Frazier?), she turned in a respectably good if not dynamite dance performance. I only wish larry could get pregnant (what a picture!)
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 09:13 pm
If I were a woman, Lightwizard, I could certainly never get pregnant by YOU. You lack the anatomical equipment required...
0 Replies