To Jes, no hurry to answer, take a week in Rome 1st - about FB

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 02:03 pm
I think I signed up years ago, a single time, thinking I had to, to see Walter's photos or Dag's photos, as I see I have a password to it on my endless written data re my signing up on the internet list. I keep that paper mess offline and soon I'll need a binder.

It amuses me to think I may have 1) no responses (fine), or 2) many responses, including to someone with my name but not me.

I once met a young woman in line in front of me with my same full first name. We were both completely stunned. The line was for applying for Immaculate Heart University: must have been 1959.
Still, the short version of my name is shared by many.

Snort. One of these days, I'll try it.

Meantime, does ever signing up make me viewable?

I'll add my actual concern in another post.

After I clean the house.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,139 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 02:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I've another question, which I realize is borne of blanket ignorance, about how to deal with stuff.

As anyone here knows, I tend to like a2k people and I have many I miss dearly, don't start me naming names.

But I also have friends in my lifetime that I need to look up and I don't want to waylay myself about it, while I'm still interested in ak friends.

I can hardly imagine how to handle it. Not that I am such a magnet but that I don't want to hurt anybody...

I get it there is a mechanism, and mechanisms scare me..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 02:55 pm
See what happens when I want to give a woman a rest in timing re answering, if at all.

You fools, I meant she should get to take a week in Rome or Paris or Rio first, or at home, that my post wasn't urgent.

Jespah probably faces untold numbers of stuff to deal with on a2k.

But she is also a writer and thinker aside from all of this.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 04:56 pm
There are privacy settings for FB but they are imperfect. For such a popular site, they really do a lousy job with privacy settings, although those are improving.

If you have an account you have never used, people can still (probably) see it under standard privacy settings. They may or may not be able to find you via Google (tighter privacy settings allegedly make it so an FB account is not visible outside of FB, but if you tighten the settings later, Google still could have grabbed the information and listed it).

As for other people contacting you - or contacting you in error, thinking they have found someone else, it happens. Usually you can figure out if they are the right person by checking either friends in common or where they lived, worked, or went to school, assuming that information is public.

I hope this helps!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:10 pm
@jespah,
That does help. Thank you for the elucidation..

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:19 pm
@jespah,
Thank you.
I may put a toe in.

Oh, and I owe you a trip.

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, you don't have to use your real name - I am Calamity Jane on the a2k facebook. Also, I opened an email account that is strictly for facebook.
I did not want my regular email associated with facebook either, so I have one email solely dedicated to facebook only.

So you can sign up with Osso Buco (first and last name) take an email with yahoo or gmail as ossobuco@whatever email and get a good password and you're in.

Once you've done this, PM us with your name and we'll get you into the a2k groove.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 06:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ah, and ah, but I have read up.

Jo
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 06:16 pm
@CalamityJane,
Excuse me, Calimity, I get you.
0 Replies