Are all Finnish stereotypes true?

Sun 8 May, 2016 10:42 am
PLEASE DON'T BAN ME!!! I'm tired of hearing about Finnish stereotypes being true!

So Meko and Kira are still not learning English for stereotype breaking reasons. It's very hard to find the things they like (superhero comic books that are by Marvel and DC, R&B music in Finnish only, their favorite shows in Finnish, but success in finding the French versions because they know French.)

The stereotypes about Finland:
-They all speak English at a professional level.
-Males know more English and are more intelligent than females.
-They are very intelligent.
-They are good at coding.
-The only music they like are heavy metal and rock.
-They are all gamers.
-They all like Star Wars or Doctor Who.
-They all sound British.
-They are evil, racist and satanic.
-They hate America, Mexico, the Middle East and India, and favor Britain, Sweden, Germany, and China.
-No one in Finland believes in God.
-They all own Androids, which are set in the English (UK) language.
-They all have an Instagram.
-Hockey is the only sport they care about.
-They only eat reindeer, rye bread, and licorice.

Don't ask me how I know all these stereotypes. One word: Internet. All Finnish encounters on the Internet I've had all talk about this.

Lordyaswas

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:21 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
FFS!
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:36 am
Stereotypes are widely held misconceptions or generalisations held by a significant number of people. Those items in the list posted by the OP do not qualify as stereotypes because they are not widely held. They seem to have been made up, either in a silly person's imagination, or as the subject of an attention-trolling exercise similar to the first one alread running.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:42 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Hey, you cyberbully. I see a lot of Finnish people on Youtube and gaming forums, so the stereotypes are common. Also, I quit Quora because.of the constant bullying over what I try to figure out. I'm quitting Quora 2.0-I mean Able2know because of cyberbullies like you.

Or, I will never help my neighbors again. I wish SOMEONE WOULD HELP ME AND NOT BULLY ME OR ENFORCE STEREOTYPES.
saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:45 am
Quote:
No one in Finland believes in God.

That is strange as 72% are member of the Lutheran Church and church is a impotant part of Finnish cultur.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:46 am
@saab,
Lutheran is atheism right?
Lordyaswas

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:46 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
You quit Quora because the people there were basically challenging what you were posting.

You are getting angry with us here because we also challenge what you are posting.

Do you think that it could possibly be the case that the problem lies with you?
Tes yeux noirs

Sun 8 May, 2016 12:36 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Quote:
Lutheran is atheism right?

Lutherans exist exclusively on a diet of worms.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:47 pm
Gee, there arefinnish stereotypes? Who knew? Off hand, the only things I can recall offhand even ever being said about Finland are:
1. They like saunas.
2. They appreciate good design.
3. Finnish Lapps herd reindeer and supply Santa Claus's team.
4. Their forests have a lot of birches.
I'm not that sure about 4. If these offend you, I think maybe you're being oversensitive.
ehBeth

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:48 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
not at all
0 Replies

xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:49 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I am challenging you because not all Finnish people HAVE to know English. Just like other cultures have generalizations, Finland does too.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:52 pm
@MontereyJack,
Not offended by those. Of course Santa Claus would pop up.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:57 pm
@MontereyJack,
I know the sauna one... Our friend Veera, a Finnish pharmacist says

Finns hate Swedes (except the Swedish speaking ones).
They like 'wodka'.
They were all Nazis right up to nearly the end of the war when they switched sides.
The only music is "Finlandia" and only composer was Sibelius.
The only company is Nokia.
All of the men are called Sven
All of the women are called Helga (except Veera).

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:57 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
xxPhoebeMertensxx wrote:

I am challenging you because not all Finnish people HAVE to know English. Just like other cultures have generalizations, Finland does too.

Exactly what is your point, apart from stating the bleedin' obvious?

I would say that NO Finn HAS to learn English.

A very large portion of them CHOOSE to do so though.
0 Replies

saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 02:02 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
What language are the Finns supposed to speak when they have contact with
people outside of Finland? Latin ?
We Scandinavians think it is important that we do speak English and preferable also another foreign language so that we can travel, study, work, cooperate with others outside our own country.
We even use English speaking with one another as we do not all understand the language in the other Nordic countries.
How do you even dare to come and tell us what we have to teach in our scools and what languages we have to speak or not.
ENGLISH IS VERY IMPORTANT TO LEARN IN SCANDINAVIA
and do you know why - most people outside out countries do not speak our languages.

En puhu suomea hyvin opetat minua
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 31 May, 2016 03:21 pm
I had neighbors from Finland for a while - they were just darling. Their English impeccable and the kids spoke without accent. Great people, very friendly and helpful. I would have liked for them to stay longer, but they went back to Helsinki.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Tue 31 May, 2016 10:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
Their accents were British?!
Dont tell me they are gamers and/or metalheads also.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Tue 31 May, 2016 10:39 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
or possibly coders. Yeah, metalheads, gamers, and coders with blond hair and blue eyes.
0 Replies

saab

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:25 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
You are hooked up on British accent.
When we learn English in school we do not talk about British accent we are taught to try to speak BBC English. This is English or used to be a well spoken English without any form of dialect or accent.
Also we would say a Finn who speaks Swedish or any other language speaks with a Finnish accent. A person from GB who speaks French speaks it with Brittish accent. An American who speaks German does it with an American accent.
Stop being nasty to Finns and calling them names like stereoptypes, gamers and metalheads.
It sounds as if you have a fobia against everything Finnish and Finland and Fins.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:49 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
What? No, they've lived in the U.S. for a number of years, they spoke American English. No metalheads either, it was a nice family with 2 kids - as I said: the entire family was very friendly and just darling!

You, on the other hand, have some cruel blinders on your head.