How to be invisible when I log on to Fb

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 04:48 am
Hi!

My "problem" should be pretty simple but I can't find an answer anywhere! Basically, I want to be able to log on to fb and not be showing as "online" to anybody else. I can't see how to make myself invisible. I don't need to restrict access to my posts, friend lists, anything like that, I just want to be able to log on and read my news feed "under the radar". My facebook chat is set to off.

Basically there's one person that tends to message me as soon as I come online, most of the time it's fine but it really drains me having to make conversation when I don't have time to chat to him and I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop him seeing when I am accessing the site.

Blocking him isn't an option and would create more problems than it would solve, yes I could tell him I'm too busy to chat (which I've started to do) but seems like I must be overlooking a very simple setting.

jespah

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:10 am
@TobysPaw,
Start with settings>privacy settings>Who can see my stuff?>
Who can see your future posts?

Make sure it's everyone but this guy, so he gets fewer social signals from you.

Then unfollow him. This is not blocking, but you will see less of him. Again, fewer interactions will help.

Finally, on the side where you see him for chat, click on his name, hit the gear wheel and select Turn off chat for ___ (whatever his name is). You can always go back and turn it back on again. You can do this from a preexisting chat even if he is not online at the time.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:56 am
A Harry Potter cloak might help as well.
0 Replies

TobysPaw

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 09:15 am
@jespah,
Thanks jespah but that doesn't help address the issue. I'm not interested in seeing less of his posts, nor am i interested in him seeing less of mine (however for the record I unfollowed him about 6 months ago anyway).

As I said in my initial post, my Facebook chat IS set to off - for everyone. And yet, he can still see when I come online (because his facebook chat is NOT set to off). Therefore he sends me a chat, and it comes through as a message.
jespah

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 09:45 am
@TobysPaw,
Well, then you're either going to have to not answer him or block him, sorry.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 01:44 pm
@TobysPaw,
how about leaving yourself logged in all the time? that way you wouldn't show up as coming/going
0 Replies

bwampler

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 02:46 pm
@TobysPaw,
I think there is not really a solution.
The best I can think of is to reduce social interaction so the contact falls below other contacts in your chat, and will stop seeing you there. Deactivating the chat just turns the green "online" poiint always to grey, but still shows your timestamp. There is an extension for Google Chrome called "Facebook Unseen", which at least avoids that the contact can see when or if you read his messages.

I have a question regarding facebook too, maybe you know the answer?
A contact disappeared from my FB Messenger App list, this happens when the contact blocks me. But I can still see his timestamp with the computer in the chat bar, which can not happen if I am blocked. The contact is still using FB messenger app - Does anyone know what happened here?
jespah

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 04:46 pm
@bwampler,
How odd. But the messenger app seems to have some issues; I've noticed people don't always have perfect congruence between it and the full version of Facebook - we see people with complaints sometimes about the app not showing messages the same way that the full version does. Hmm.
0 Replies