How can a good God allow suffering

steven bill

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 02:16 am
@rosborne979,
nothing can hurt you--not even pain.If you learn to control your emotions, you will learn to think the way God does.
rosborne979

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 05:08 am
@steven bill,
I already control my emotions. I think the way a healthy human does. No Gods required. Thanks.
cicerone imposter

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:14 am
@rosborne979,
There are so many gods, just picking one would be a task unless one is born in a country where religions are dominated by just a few. I have always maintained that religion is an accident of birth. In other words, the individual usually follows the religion of his country of birth or of his or her parents.
Proof #28 - Notice how many gods you reject
There are literally thousands of religions being practiced today. Here are 20 of the most popular, along with an estimate of the number of followers:

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand
[Source: Encyclopedia Britannica]

Isn't that enough proof that religions and gods are man-made?
0 Replies

steven bill

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 07:29 am
@DannyR634,
if there is no no GOD thre is no 'cause'. And if there isnt any cause for the earth existance, there is no you.
steven bill

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 07:34 am
@edgarblythe,
God does not exist to help you In your situation. he exists to give you joy in that situation. This earth no longer belongs to him...He gave you the dominion to rule it [according to the bible], now see how badly we rule.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 04:27 pm
@steven bill,
steven bill, You don't exist either, so what are you doing here?
0 Replies

Aetherian

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 06:29 am
A rational explanation for creation has been that something was responsible, and whatever it was then everything is a part of it.
I like the idea promoted by Liebnitz, he called IT the MONAD and every bit created is a monad.
This fits in with the New Age thought, as the Source or the Absolute.
cicerone imposter

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 11:06 am
@Aetherian,
Creation is natural evolution. There is no god. Study the evolution of Homo sapiens. Better yet, study how life forms started on this planet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_history_of_life
Leadfoot

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 11:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
You study it CI.

From your Wiki link:
Quote:

Research on how life might have emerged from non-living chemicals focuses on three possible starting points: self-replication, an organism's ability to produce offspring that are very similar to itself; metabolism, its ability to feed and repair itself; and external cell membranes, which allow food to enter and waste products to leave, but exclude unwanted substances.[72] Research on abiogenesis still has a long way to go, since theoretical and empirical approaches are only beginning to make contact with each other.[73][74]

This is a wordy way of saying - “We have no ******* idea how life started.”
farmerman

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 12:20 pm
@Leadfoot,
no its not .You are trying to read into it (as usual without the relevant knowledge).
Pre biotic REPLICATING chemicals are already a 'Check"

cell containment polymers from organic COOH's a "Check"

AMP-ADP-ATP compounding and phosphorylation "Check"
Theres a lot more that we do not know how to do in the lab but we do understand how its done in nature.

cicerone imposter

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
I'm not an expert like farmerman, but I try to follow what scientists tell us about most subjects, and have some idea about our planet and environment. I disregard religious' teachings about this subject. Your conclusion about the wiki article I posted proves to me you have no idea what you're talking about.
KingReef

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:05 pm
@SawyerMentink,
God warned Adam and Eve about eating from that particular tree, they did it anyway, and we suffer. God is not ruling over this planet currently. When Jesus returns he will establish his rule over the Earth.

So until then, why does man allow suffering?
Leadfoot

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:19 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Theres a lot more that we do not know how to do in the lab but we do understand how its done in nature.

Riiiiight, nature has that magic stuff that we can’t duplicate in the lab. Nature is Sooooo Much smarter than science.

And does your statement make any sense? We know how nature does it but we can’t reproduce it? WTF ever happened to experimental evidence.

As for the other stuff you said, sure, we see it now, but we're talking about where the information came from. I suppose you are referring to RNA/catalyzing agents. There is no agreement in science about that originating in nature.
0 Replies

camlok

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
but I try to follow what scientists tell us about most subjects,

cicerone imposter catching himself in a bald faced lie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 12:04 pm
@KingReef,
That cannot be true. Homo sapiens have been around for 200,000 years. A savior that arrives 2000 years ago has no logic nor meaning.
KingReef

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 01:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I thought it a conundrum as well, until I saw that God is not hampered by things like Time.
cicerone imposter

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 02:46 pm
@KingReef,
But humans are, and it's about "us." Don't feel offended by what I say. All my siblings are Christians, and I'm the only atheist - married to a Buddhist.
I rely on science to learn about "us" and the environment. Why humans have a need to believe in one religion or another is self-explanatory; it's in the human DNA.
KingReef

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 03:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
@KingReef,
But humans are, and it's about "us." Don't feel offended by what I say. All my siblings are Christians, and I'm the only atheist - married to a Buddhist.
I rely on science to learn about "us" and the environment. Why humans have a need to believe in one religion or another is self-explanatory; it's in the human DNA.

Being subject to time is not something I would argue. Neither would I argue about the most poignant state of being as human. I see God as having the more important point of view. Whether it is genetic or not, what is anyone supposed to do with that? That doesn't make me wrong, or you wrong. It doesn't make me right or you right. your faith is in science. My faith is in God. I'm fine with that assessment, though I'm not dismissing science where science has convinced me. Science is not counter to God, unless someone can show me where I am wrong about that.
cicerone imposter

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 03:26 pm
@KingReef,
Nobody has a right to tell you what to believe or not to believe. All humans have what we call subjective perceptions about what life is all about. Some of us are fortunate to lived in a country where we have the freedom to choose any religion or not while many suffer from restrictions on politics and religion. I feel fortunate to have lived at a time when our country was in the Great Recession until today. I have traveled to some 128 countries, all 7 continents, flew to Mt Everest, dipped my feet in the Dead Sea, and have visited the northernmost and southernmost cities of the world. I have met many interesting people during my lifetime including Bob Brodsky the rocket scientist. We met on the Mexican Riviera cruise many years ago, and kept in touch until his passing last year. I have friends in Moscow, Singapore, Germany, France, England, Mexico, Canada, Cuba, and all across the US. I know I have lived a privileged life, and many of my family and friends tell me to write about my experiences, but that will never happen; too lazy. Chou.
Leadfoot

Fri 21 Sep, 2018 04:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
it's in the human DNA.

You've said more than you actually know..
0 Replies