Armando and Fernando

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:27 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Life at Work to Original Writing

I believe it is time to introduce Armando and Fernando to the board. They were Cuban brothers whose paths crossed mine years ago. I'm not sure where they are now or if they're still alive, but I'll never forget them.

Armando was the bigger of the two, but he was more of the teddy bear type, while Fernando, slightly smaller, looked like he was chiseled out of granite.

Armando was a nice guy, but a pathological liar, while Fernando was not a very nice guy, and had already killed several people when I first met him. ( manslaughter charges, and he had already served his time before I met him )

But we won't discuss Fernando any further. That will come later. Today I will share an Armando anecdote with you.

Like I said, Armando was a pathological liar. He had been everywhere, had seen everything. If you had been to France, he had been there twice. If you once owned a sports car, he had a dozen or so.

One day I walked into the lunchroom at work and saw Armando wildly gesticulating as a young African-American stared at him, mouth open in amazement. Armando was telling him about his world travels and all the homes he had around the globe.

His audience was obviously buying it, hook, line, and sinker.

I sat down and said, "You ever been to Chad, Armando?"

"What is Chad?"

"A country".

"Where?"

"Africa."

"Oh yes", Armando said, "of course I have been to Africa"

At this point the young African-American stared at Armando and said in an awestruck voice, "You've been to Africa?"

Armando looked at him and said, "Yes, I have been to Africa, but I didn't like it. There are animals there that will eat you. There are people there that will eat you. I said fuc this place and left."

The young African-American ( let's call him Bob, so I don't have to keep typing African American ) said, "Did you ever see any of those people that ate other people?"

"One time" Armando began, "Me and a friend of mine were hunting in the bush. We were walking along slowly, looking for animals to shoot, when suddenly my friend stepped in one of those rope traps and was whisked into the air where he hung upside down from the tree branch. I started walking toward him to cut him down, but I was too late. They were all around me."

"Who was all around you?" asked Bob, his eyes now as wide as saucers.

"The men with spears" continued Armando. "They came from everywhere. I knew they were after my friend so I raised my rifle to begin to kill them. But before I could fire a single shot one of them snuck up from the side and before I could react I saw him raise a blowgun to his lips and the next thing I know there is a poison dart sticking in my neck. I don't know what was in that dart, but I could not move. I was paralyzed; frozen in position. Even my finger was paralyzed. I wanted to pull the trigger, but nothing on me worked. I could only watch."

"Watch what?" Bob said. "What did they do to your friend?"

Armando stared into his coffee for a second, seemingly deeply disturbed by recalling the demons of his past. After a few minutes agonizingly ticked by for Bob, who was now imploring Armando to continue with the story, to tell him what happened, Armando cleared his throat, and tears welled in his eyes as he said in a barely audible tone, "They took him. They cut him down. They cooked him..... and they ate him."

Armando's story, and the sincerity with which he told it, had me on the verge of busting a gut. My neck muscles were straining and I did everything in my power to control myself from breaking into uproarious laughter. Thus far, miraculously, I had restrained myself from laughing. But Bob's simple response to the conclusion of Armando's story proved to be too much.

He looked at Armando as he finished the story and said, "Damn!"

I lost it. I started laughing. I fell out of my chair and rolled on the floor. I was gasping for breath I was laughing so hard. Other people in the cafeteria, unaware of the solemn conversation which had just taken place, were a bit mystified as to why I was on the floor laughing, and Armando and Bob were staring at me as if I had just spit on the pope.

It took a few weeks for Armando to forgive me for laughing at his story. In his mind I was making light of the death of his friend. I finally convinced him that I was laughing at the look on Bob's face. Eventually we became friends again, and I was able to once again hear the stories of Armando's travels. Fascinating stuff, really.

Next installment: The Fury of Fernando
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 995 • Replies: 12
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:16 pm
I loved this, Gus; your stories are spell-binding Very Happy. I look forward to 'The Fury of Fernando.'

0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:31 pm
Why was this moved from the "Life at Work" forum?

The description of the forum contains the following sentence....

Join us at the water cooler to discuss rotten managers, subversive staff, cranky customers, workplace humor and pranks.

Seems to me, since this story is absolutely true, it should have remained in the "Life at Work" forum.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:29 am
Perhaps it scared people over there. Well, it's our gain. Autobiography can go in here, not just fiction ;D.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:04 pm
Tell us more, Gus! Tell us more!
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:15 am
Dear Gus-

Some people just cannot resist 'managing'.

(I appreciate a well-told story, thanks)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:20 am
Please continue, gus, if that's your real name and not just a nom de plume, gorgon. Either way, it's highly entertaining.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:28 am
Have you been fooled by the whole Gus/Gorgon thing? He told me that he was the 'Old' Bill Cosby; they've kept him concealed for thirteen years in an apartment in Ohio that used to belong to some obscure friend of Ringo Starr, while the new one vies to be running partner in the 2012 elections with Hilary Clinton.

Either way, I wish to hear more.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:34 am
Nothing about gus surprises me, and I am willing to buy into any conspiracy theory he/she presents, and any identity. Yes, it's just that funny.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:43 am
Do you know, there's a sect that worship Gus as the reincarnation of Elvis? They meet up regularly, and are sometimes graced with his presence, either as 'Yakman' or as 'Uncle Lucy.'

As you can see, they get rather boisterous when he visits:

http://www.coasttocoast.org.uk/crowd1.jpg

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:48 am
I'm not sure about 'boisterous'....it looks more like they are just biding their time until the great gus shows up.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:51 am
Would you not say that the guy with little hair in the front of the picture looks incredibly excited?

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:55 am
If I could put a caption to his demeanour it might be "Hi, I am Svend, and I have had much Jagermeister. You are Olga, yes? Want to hook up?"
0 Replies