[answered] Forum for teens and young adults

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:01 pm
I was just wondering, is it possible that on here you could make a forum for teens and young adults? It would be very helpful for the younger members on here because we would be able to help each other and know we're not alone. I think this would only be fair considering you have a forum for everything but that. Hope you consider it! Thanks.

~Gabby....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,861 • Replies: 23
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:17 pm
I don't know DC. If the forum was divided into teens, newlyweds, blue eyeds, middle ageds, retirees, singles, couples, Chinese, Afghanistan etc.. we'd be dividing people not uniting them.

I think the forum divides subjects not people. Just think of A2K as everyday life where you have to deal with your friends AND some that are not so much your friends. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:37 pm
panzade wrote:
... you have to deal with your friends AND some that are not so much your friends. Smile

Although some olders can be friendly as well Laughing

(I do understand, e.g., such youngsters like panzade, quite well and try to make him feel not being alone :wink: )
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:42 pm
And you do a great job of it Walter. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:47 pm
I know, my boy :wink: (but you are easily to guide through the hard parts of live Laughing ).

Nevertheless and seriously, I agree that a forum specially for teens and young adults could have some value.
But on the other hand I doubt (see panzade's reasons) that this can really happen here on A2K.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:08 am
panzade wrote:
If the forum was divided into teens, newlyweds, blue eyeds, middle ageds, retirees, singles, couples, Chinese, Afghanistan etc.. we'd be dividing people not uniting them.
I think the forum divides subjects not people.

exactly,

But DC you can actually also post here
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=30 Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:27 am
We probably won't be coding any new forums any time soon, but of course we'll take your suggestion under advisement. Thanks!
0 Replies

DC DarkAngel89

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:47 pm
It would benefit the site alot and while we are trying to bring people together, there's still alot of seperation on the site, groups of people teaming up and stuff and only commenting on their stuff. However if ther WAS a teen forum then the younger people would be able to disscuss and help each other with such problems we deal with in our daily lives. And yes while older people have gone through it to sometimes it's easier to talk to someone who is CURRENTLY going through it so you have someone to go through it with you in a sense.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:45 am
A large part of the energy of a2k comes out of people of very different ages from all over the world, many times with english not as a first language, talking with each other. Some keep their ages and gender and locations quiet just so they can be taken for their words and not from some presupposed image. Some of the sharpest people here on some of the most difficult categories are very young, including the fellow who founded the site.

If you had a teen forum, others would respond to it anyway.
0 Replies

DC DarkAngel89

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:11 pm
I guesso...I just thought it was a good idea but apparently not everyone is open to something new... :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:52 am
Quote:
However if ther WAS a teen forum then the younger people would be able to disscuss and help each other with such problems we deal with in our daily lives

One way that you can attract young people to certain threads is to couch them in terms that would be of interest primarily to young people.

Us old farts are going to respond anyway. One of the wonderful things about dealing with a diverse group of people is that you can get many points of view on an issue.

For instance, when I was young, I always had the feeling that I was the only one who was going through the particular problem that I was having at the moment. I felt very alone, except for the advice of a few friends, which I later realized was not always the best advice, 'cause they were in the same boat as I was.

I think that it is so great to get a perspective from someone who has "been there.....done that", and has moved on from the problem.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:44 am
DC Dark Angel--

Quote:
guesso...I just thought it was a good idea but apparently not everyone is open to something new...

Perhaps the A2k staff and owners have their own agendas for their own time?

If a youth forum is important to you, start a youth forum. Don't pout because an established forum is not going to put you in charge.

Good luck.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:51 am
This question has come up enough times since i've been here at a2k, that i'm surprised they havn't made one!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:20 am
In the spirit of youth, I say, start a youth-related thread, in general maybe, as it's clear a proper forum will not be made. However, if it's titled correctly, they will come. There are threads here that are thousands of pages long. Dream it, build it, and yes, as I said, they will come.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:23 am
I don't think it's clear, Cav, I think it's just not high on the priority list.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:53 am
A teen forum had actually been in discusssions I had with other companies we are prtnering with.

It's not a priority mainly because of the content typical to "teen forums".
0 Replies

DC DarkAngel89

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 04:40 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
A teen forum had actually been in discusssions I had with other companies we are prtnering with.

It's not a priority mainly because of the content typical to "teen forums".

I do beleive thats a stereo type...

The "content" would you look at some of the forums on here and say that content was completley acceptable? If YOU don't like it you don't have to read it, but for those people who do they can. It's called Free will. No one forces you to do anything... There's gonna be "questionable content" no matter what kind of forum you put. Especially in your relationship forum or whatever it is. I'm not saying I don't like talking to the older people cause I do but a teen and young adult forum would be good. Yeah we might not get the best advice all the time but you would be surprised how wise some of the younger people on this board are.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
That's the big Kahuna there Angel, be nice to him. Smile
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:34 pm
Then he's exactly the person she needs to talk to! Laughing
0 Replies

DC DarkAngel89

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:57 pm
I am being nice, I just asked for something and my reply was not answered, and it really wasn't answered cause there hasn't been a yay or nay just a big arguement, but it hasn't been answered cause I'm a teen asking for a teen forum. However, if it was one of the moderators ideas ofcourse they would do it cause they're older and in charge!Just because of that doesn't mean they can't put it on for a trial run and see how it does. I think that's a fair idea. And if it doesn't work then no one has lost anything but gained the knowledge that it really would be bad and not "oh well it might be bad..." blah blah blah, loosen up people, it would be good.
0 Replies