Looking for an external portable harddrive for my laptop

rufio

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:27 pm
The title says it all. I've decided that 20 gigs doesn't really cut it anymore with two operating systems and a small mp3 library. The idea is that it be connected through the PC card slot (PCMCIA, IDE, whatever other abbreviations apply) - as opposed to the USB port. I currently run Windows ME and (primarily) Suse linux 9.1 professional. I want both OS's to be able to see the drive. Any suggestions on where to find something like this that's reasonably priced? Well, relatively reasonably, anyway.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 993 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:06 am
I just finished shopping for this and buying one today. Here were my candidates:

Iomega 120 GB Desktop Hard Drive $171.04

Pros: Price, plug and play (like all the others I will link), Norton Ghost software

Cons: Fan noise, no power switch

Iomega 250 GB USB/Firewire Desktop $276.99

Same pros and cons as above, but a lot more space.

Seagate Technology 200 GB USB 2.0 and FireWire External Drive $269.99

This is what I bought, the main pro over the others being the power switch. The main con is that it comes with worse drive backup software.

The page says it's not available but that's not true. I just bought it.

Summary:

The software is not needed, if you have a recent OS (probably anything after 98) it will plug and play. I personally won't install any of the backup software and just use it as an additional drive to hold Able2Know backups and tote files between computers (work/home etc).

The fan noise/power switch issue is probably moot if the drive will not be near your bed when you sleep, or if you don't mind unplugging it.

Hope that helps.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
Thanks, but I was looking for something for my laptop, and all of those seem to be for desktop. And a mere 20 or 30 gigs will probably be just fine.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:22 pm
I purchased the Maxtor 80gig for $95.00 that is USB1.1 and USB2.0 it's ok but I was in a hurry and desperate.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:25 pm
I forgot now that I replaced my C Drive also - I really like it a lot. I did a lot of C&P to the maxtor due to errors in my OS that would not let me use other back-up programs.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:36 pm
rufio wrote:
Thanks, but I was looking for something for my laptop, and all of those seem to be for desktop.

I own (and purchased the drive for) a laptop. I've never heard of an external HD that is "for a desktop".
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:06 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
rufio wrote:
Thanks, but I was looking for something for my laptop, and all of those seem to be for desktop.

I own (and purchased the drive for) a laptop. I've never heard of an external HD that is "for a desktop".[/[/b]quote]

music recording guys I know do it a lot and I/S uses one in my company now - exact application I forgot but I think it was the graphics folks in marketing.
0 Replies