Teacher Wins 3,100-Mile Race

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:19 am
A British school teacher has won one of the world's toughest endurance races. Bob Brown, 35, ran 50 miles a day for two months to win the 3,100-mile ultra-marathon.The primary school teacher from Stoke Climsland in Cornwall arrived in New York's Central Park in torrential rain - three days ahead of his nearest rival.

"It feels really strange to know that I won't be running again tomorrow," he said.

"I knew yesterday that I had won and that my rival could not catch me.

"My real finish will be when I dip a toe in the Atlantic tomorrow morning."

Mr Brown pounded his way through mountain ranges, deserts and forests to win the race, losing 2st on the way.

"I always knew I was going to complete the race," he said.

"There were low points and wonderful moments, but I knew I would finish."

And he revealed what kept him going.

"Today I'm going to get drunk. I had a bottle of wine every night on the road - it was my secret weapon."

Mr Brown was the lone Briton in an international field and finished more than 60 hours ahead of the French athlete Luc Dumont St Priest, 39.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,799 • Replies: 102
No top replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:17 pm
Remind me not to run anywhere, anytime soon.

LOL

That had to be grueling. The poor tootsies.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:12 pm
Wow... that's amazing. Was it across America or something? How do they know that people didn't cheat? They can hardly have coverage of everyone over such a long distance...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:14 pm
yes it is........

yes.....

i dont know.........

and i know WinkSmile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
I'd like to try to walk that distance some day, but not as a race. At a slowish pace, If I did 2 miles in 10 minutes, I'd be doing 12 miles an hour. So I could cover 60 miles a day in 5 hours, or just 48 in four hours, taking 19/20 hours out for rest and recuperation. If I slept 8 hours a night, that means that I'd be able to punctuate 4 or 5 hours of walking with 11 or 12 hours of stopping; which means I could afford to stop regularly.... hmm. This isn't really about endurance, but rather about tactics.

Alternatively, I could just try to get around on a scooter. That might be best. Laughing

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
hmm d 12 miles an hours really fast i run 6 miles and hour for 30 mins at the gym and after that im pretty pooped
if u could keep it up for 5 hours well id be mightily impressed
id go for the scooter option
ewan mcgregor just did that - round the world on a scooter - with a mate and it only took them a few months if you need a companion give us a shout im up for something like that...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:33 pm
Did he? How did he do it? Did he get ferries? Did they go through Africa? Did they have hôtel accomodation in the nights or something? -- I'm intrigued.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:36 pm
oh so many questions!!!! Very Happy

ill tell you what.....
ill go away and have a look for you and see if i can find anything on the net
all i know right here and now is that he finished safe and sound in new york about a month ago and he broke down somewhere in asia...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
what ive found so far.... :

Tired but relieved, film stars Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman have arrived in New York at the end of an epic 20,000 mile motorbike journey around the world.

The pair described suffering near-fatal crashes, being detained by border guards and finally crying tears of joy as they arrived in New York.

For three months the best friends travelled from London through Europe, Russia, Siberia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Alaska, and across North America.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:53 pm
and this

Monday, May 10
Ewan McGregor has arrived in Kazakhstan. Poor ******. Having travelled extensively around that ****-hole I don't envy his next 12 days. He's travelling with his boyfriend, Charley Boorman, (and an army of assistants no doubt) on motorbikes from London to Alaska via Europe, Russia, Kazakhstan and Mongolia. McGregor and Boorman have already signed a million pound TV deal about their unique journey. However, the actor clarified that they were not making this journey for the sake of money. Yeah right.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:56 pm
Kazakhstan Very Happy.. wonderful Very Happy... I'd be up for all of that... though I was actually joking and saying scooter as in the scooters that one has to motor oneself Very Happy..

I think that it would be better to get a big old schoolbus and take plenty of people, though

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:57 pm
(Incidentally, thanks for finding out Very Happy.)

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:59 pm
i never realised ewan mcgregor was gay...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 02:00 pm
and im still looking for more info
its harder to find than a snowball in a fire....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 02:01 pm
I thought that that was sarcastic... (seems like the writer is jealous Wink)

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 02:01 pm
hmm yeah you said this b4 but im not into the big crowd stuff
its real hard to organise all them peeps n keep em happy i prefer as few peeps as possible or a solo journey
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
oh Shocked ok hmm i never see the subtleties of writing.... Confused
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 02:13 pm
If you got trustworthy people-- like some of the folks from A2K-- then it could be cool (and definitely better than getting random people.) Still, if people are willing to pay to get around in such a mad way, I don't think that they'd be that grumpy.... and I doubt that there would be any children.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 02:14 pm
Col Man wrote:
oh Shocked ok hmm i never see the subtleties of writing.... Confused

Ah, I overanalyse everything, but in a scanning way... it must be from all those years of Practical Criticism.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 02:48 pm
I was a litle surprised to see that boyfriend bit too.

By the way, I'd love to go touring on a bus with you lot.
0 Replies