Komodo Dragon dies in zoo love plunge

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:23 pm
fortune wrote:
My dictionary is telling me that these lizards are called 'monitor' for the reason that they are fancied to "give warning of the presence of a crocodile".

Since I've only ever seen goannas (an Australian variety of monitor lizard) in the zoo, I cannot respond as to the veracity of this supposition.

O, that would make sense Very Happy. I've never much liked zoos, for some reason; I prefer to be up close to the animals...

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
I agree; it was great. Do you notice that Human Interest always sparks up when it comes to either the telling of dreams or of a personal story?

(Little aside: Iced Gems rot one's teeth, but they are weirdly delicious..)

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
Have you ever been to the Melbourne zoo?
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:25 pm
What are iced gems?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:33 pm
I still think its a sad story ...
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:43 pm
Undoubtedly, nimh, but every time I think of big lizards I can't help but remember a video I once saw of some guys camping in the Aussie bush. Two of the three men were standing outside while the third slept on inside the tent.

All of a sudden a goanna walked into the camp....... and right ino the tent!

Of these two stellar friends one held the video camera while the other crept over to the tent and zipped up the flap.

Next thing you see is the tent start to shake violently and a very startled bloke come running out. Hilarious!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:43 pm
hehe i liked the multiple convo threads the other day too i was having trouble keeping up

iced gems are toxic waste made of chemicals...

i dont like zoos either and i got pretty clos to a hell of a lot of birds today
i didnt go fishing btw thats for barbarians and murderers
i went feeding bread to the birds
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:47 pm
iced gems link

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/wfi/notesandmiscellany/nostalgia/0002110.asp
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:50 pm
Drom, if you like being close to the critters you should try the butterfly house at the Melbourne zoo. You walk into a large greenhouse filled with tropical plants, the butterflys just come and land right on you. Some of them are huge!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
Yep, they're probably completely made of E-numbers.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:55 pm
fortune wrote:
Drom, if you like being close to the critters you should try the butterfly house at the Melbourne zoo. You walk into a large greenhouse filled with tropical plants, the butterflys just come and land right on you. Some of them are huge!

No, I haven't been to the Melbourne Zoo; do you like it there? I'll check it out, the next time that I'm down; especially the butterflies' house Very Happy. Is it open now (i.e. winter?), as I wouldn't want to come in the middle of the summer heat.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:56 pm
Col Man wrote:

i didnt go fishing btw thats for barbarians and murderers

I don't go fishing, either.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:56 pm
nimh wrote:
I still think its a sad story ...

What would cheer you up?

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 03:59 pm
I would have to check it but I believe the butterfly house is open all year, it's artificially heated you see.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:00 pm
we have a place in a park near us called tropical world its got stuff like that n its heated too it needs to be with english weather
the park is called roundhay park
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
Do you go often to places like that, you two? Warwick had nothing like it... we had a drive-through safari park, in which you're not allowed out of the car, where ruffians stole monkeys and ostriches shat on your windscreen. Good times.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:05 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
What would cheer you up?

Dragons reunited ...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:06 pm
i go to feed the birds often but i dont go to the tropical world place i havent been for ages
i go feed fish sometimes too in the same park i feed the birds but there are hundreds of birds and i buy them two loaves of bread as it is every time i go feed them and my mate has a loaf too and they polish it off and still want more so the poor fishes often miss out
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:11 pm
I don't go as much as I'd like, Drom. I'm afraid the most contact I get with animals most days is my dear doggie.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:13 pm
i make a habit of going often it helps break up the monotony of being inside all the time
i have a cat
im a cat person myself dogs always seemed to much responsibility
0 Replies