Komodo Dragon dies in zoo love plunge

Col Man

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 01:38 pm
LONDON (Reuters) - Love could not conquer all for a rare, 10-year-old Komodo Dragon who plunged to her death at London Zoo after she scaled a dividing wall to reach her mate.

Six-foot-long (2-metre-long) Nina died from internal bleeding after she fell trying to reach Raja, who is still in good health and on display, a zoo spokesman said on Saturday.

"Immediate measures have been put in place to prevent a similar incident happening and we are carrying out a thorough investigation into what occurred," London Zoo's curator David Field said in a statement.

The Komodo Dragon is the largest flesh-eating lizard in the world and is found in the wild on only four small Indonesian islands. They number about 5,000 worldwide.

Nina arrived at the zoo last month and staff hoped she and Raja would mate and become a major attraction.

The dragons were being held in adjacent cages separated by an 8-foot-high wall with a gap at the top so they could gradually become accustomed to each other.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,331 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
Sad story. Though true love.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 04:40 pm
It's like Troilus and Cressida, or-- to a lesser extent-- Romeo and Juliet: the aviary version!

Poor dragons though.

0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
but they are such nasty things. They kill by the posion of the bacteria in their mouths. Then let their prey go and die a horrible death and then go eat them.

EWW!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:36 pm
They are horrid in some ways, I agree. I guess people have been too swept away with the romance of it... just like people forget that Romeo is a coward when they're reading R&J.

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:32 pm
Or that Juliet is a little idiot.

Still, I have a soft spot for anything called a dragon.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:35 pm
they were both idiots if you ask me killing themselseves over such foolishness why couldnt they have just run anyway like any other couple in love....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:37 pm
Yeah.... like the lovers in 'A Midsummer Night's dream,' or Rosalind, or... anyone with some cop-on.

I've always found R&J overrated. Especially when one compares it to The Tempest... or Winter's Tale... or Measure for Measure... or nearly anything.... apart from Merry Wives :@ and some of the Histories...

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:39 pm
I heartily agree. (I always get the giggles though when I hear someone deliver the dirty jokes in a serious tone because they know it's supposed to be a tragedy)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:43 pm
Very Happy... Hamlet is a huge culprit for that, isn't it!?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:46 pm
alas poor yodrik...
i knew him well Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:47 pm
Very Happy!

The question remains: How well did you know Yorick? Wink

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:49 pm
well enough to fondle his skull after he was dead Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:51 pm
Very Happy

*Insert bad imitation at one of those awful fifties 'uu-er' sounds, here*

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:53 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:56 pm
Laughing

I would say that Shakespeare's turning around, but he'd probably appreciate those jokes Wink.

Incidentally, don't those 'laughing' emoticons look evil and/or ridden with some awful motor-neurone disease/lockjaw when you stop the page?

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 03:58 pm
Hee hee! I never looked at 'em that way before! When you've got three in a row they look rather maniacal, don't they?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:11 pm
Yeah, they do: 3 in a row is like the emoticon world's equivalent of 'Here's Johnny,' minus the hair..

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:13 pm
Question is, do any of us have the shining?
0 Replies