Who can make us closer to God?

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 04:29 am
No one, even Jesus, can make us closer to God. Only we, ourselves, can make us closer to God.

mark noble

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 09:50 am
@peacecrusader888,
You cannot be closer to (or further from) God than you already are.
peacecrusader888

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 05:25 am
@mark noble,
The spirit of Ama said that if one is a believer, it will be very hard for him to believe otherwise. If one is a non-believer, it will be very hard to become a believer. It will be a big bold move for a non-believer to become a believer. I will look for the exact words of Ama.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 06:35 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
You cannot be closer to (or further from) God than you already are.
That's being pretty literal.

I was never very close to my first ex wife even when having sex.
mark noble

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 09:37 am
@Leadfoot,
But your ex-wife doesn't occupy every occupiable point in the matrix.
God "Nature" does.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:59 am
@mark noble,
Use your own analogy to illustrate my point.
Some people are 'close to nature'.
Some people are not.

I can't believe you don't understand the concept of 'being emotionally close or distant' regardless of physical proximity.
neologist

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:58 pm
@peacecrusader888,
So, ama fails to respect the sacrifice of Jesus, without which we cannot draw close to God. You should do as I do and reject this spirit.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:05 am
@Leadfoot,
Everything is Nature.
How can you get closer to you?
Are you not created, preserved and destroyed by the same presence/force as is everything?

Really!?
And you're studying, aspects of nature, at the ontological-level?

I am disappointed.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:39 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
How can you get closer to you?
Now I'm the disappointed one. You've never observed someone not in touch with themselves?
mark noble

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:02 am
@Leadfoot,
Yes, by the hundreds, daily (My occupation allows such observations) and I have (Fortunately) great observational-thinkers in my, surrounding, colleagues (And friends), who concur.

Yet - I am having a discussion with you, Leadfoot, not random stereotypes.

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:07 pm
@peacecrusader888,
Only Jesus can and you show why. If you had found a way to God without Jesus that is what you would say. But no, obviously your intent is only to say that HE is not the way.

One wonders what your personal life is like if you are so given to teaching others.

James 3:1
Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.
JehovahLoves

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 07:09 pm
James 4:8 states clearly what we need to do.
Miller

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 11:34 am
@peacecrusader888,
The angel of love...
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 01:01 pm
@JehovahLoves,
I don't disagree but why would one be motivated to read James or any other section? Let me answer on the Feast of St Dominic : It is to follow the greatest commandment which enjoins us to LOVE GOD WITH OUR WHOLE MIND
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 12:31 pm
@peacecrusader888,
But that is a false distinction.
We can only get closer to God because Jesus made this possible. But He didn't make it inevitable.
mark noble

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 11:10 am
@CVeigh,
You can't just make it up as you go along, mind.
God - Is a concept.

We are all one thing, separated only, by experience, because our (the) source (God, if you like) can only be all knowing if it experiences all knowledge - And all knowledge can only be acquired by perceiving every instance (Unbiasedly) from every perspective.

'EVERYTHING' in and of itself, is one thing.
Therefore - One thing is 'EVERYTHING'.

Apply any 'third-party' construct you like - But, ultimately, it's just you guiding you.
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 01:54 pm
@CVeigh,
CVeigh wrote:
But that is a false distinction.
We can only get closer to God because Jesus made this possible. But He didn't make it inevitable.

My reply:
Yes, Jesus demonstrated the way to the Father in Heaven. And what we have to do is emulate Jesus. He demonstrated how the bear sufferings, like when He was crucified and died on the cross. But He also demonstrated that we will become alive when He resurrected. So it depends on us if we will accept His demonstration.
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 02:02 pm
@AugustineBrother,
AugustineBrother wrote:
Only Jesus can and you show why. If you had found a way to God without Jesus that is what you would say. But no, obviously your intent is only to say that HE is not the way.

One wonders what your personal life is like if you are so given to teaching others.

James 3:1
Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

My reply:
Jesus said in John 14:6: "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." I believe Jesus when He boldly said this. Please read Revelation 22:16.
mark noble

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 09:06 am
@peacecrusader888,
How can something be closer to itself, than it already is?
peacecrusader888

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 05:52 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
How can something be closer to itself, than it already is?

My reply:
If I get your question correctly, you mean how can God be closer than God Himself. Is this correct?