Eat fish to remember Jesus

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 04:48 pm
Why do we have to eat fish during the crucifixion, death, and resurrection of Jesus? The spirit of Ama said that this is to remember the death of Jesus Christ. Ichthys is a Greek word meaning fish. It is a Christian symbol "interpreted as an acrostic in which the Greek letters are initials of the words Iesous Christos theou hyios soter meaning Jesus Christ Son of God Savior" (Webster's Third New International Dictionary).

farmerman

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 05:07 pm
@peacecrusader888,
what about shrimp? can I subtitute a shrimp scampi for the fish?
farmerman

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 05:25 pm
@farmerman,
actually , when I eat fish, I recall the wife of the Apostle Paul, Mrs Paul.
ehBeth

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
http://www.cruisingdaytona.com/ebimage/LAT/1229.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 06:37 pm
https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/05138eef71c6ad48109a9f8951975e6ab79f7-wm.jpg
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 07:48 pm
@peacecrusader888,
peacecrusader888 wrote:
Why do we have to eat fish during the crucifixion, death, and resurrection of Jesus? . . .
We don't
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 09:38 pm
Sorry, Charlie.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 12:49 am
I'll have the fish, please . . .

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3f/0f/e6/3f0fe66a68d7b05adc96d9250a184ad2.jpg
0 Replies

saab

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 01:08 am
The Spirit of Ama is as usual not well informed.
We do not eat fish on God Friday only, but on fridays because we fast on fridays.
In the first century, Jews fasted on Mondays and Thursdays. The original Christians were all Jewish and were used to the fasting as a spiritual discipline. They moved the fast days to Wednesdays and Fridays, because Judas engineered Jesus' arrest on a Wednesday and Jesus was crucified on a Friday. Most often that fast took the form of avoiding meat in the diet. In those days, meat was a luxury food. . So meat was rich people's food and fish was poor people's food. That is why the most common form of fasting was to omit meat and eat fish.
Blickers

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 08:24 am
@saab,
+1. Wondered where that tradition came from. I still observe it. Haven't been to church in decades, but I still don't eat meat on Fridays.....
saab

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 10:06 am
@Blickers,
When I grew up - guess many still do - had fish on fridays. Sweden has been Lutheran for centuries.
Also as a tradition since Catholic days soup is served thursdays as a beginning of the fasting. And we do not fast at all - the food tradition stayed
Walter Hinteler

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 11:08 am
@saab,
In the deepest Catholic part here, where I live, since more than 1000 years, the traditional dish on Good Friday is "Struwen" (a fried yeast pancake with raisins) served after a beer soup, which is the first course of the menu.
(Struwen was ordered by the bishop in 1090 to be the Friday meal on the lent days before Christmas, Easter and Pentecost in abbeys and monasteries. The word's origin is Old Saxon, the bishop emntions in his document that it has been cook by ordinary people since ages.)
saab

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 12:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
To morrow is Annuntiatio Mariæ, in Swedish called Vår Fru Dag = Our Lady´s Day . Spoken fast it comes out Våfruda which sounds something like våffeldag = Waffel Day. So tomorrow it will difficult fish or waffels or both.

In Sweden the traditioal thursday dinner is yellow pea suop and pancakes afterwards.
Blickers

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 12:26 pm
@saab,
Quote saab:
Quote:
In Sweden the traditioal thursday dinner is yellow pea suop and pancakes afterwards.

Thursday before Good Friday or every Thursday?
Walter Hinteler

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 12:36 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
To morrow is Annuntiatio Mariæ, in Swedish called Vår Fru Dag = Our Lady´s Day .
That day is moved in the Catholic, Anglican and Lutheran Church when that it falls during the Holy Week or Easter Week or on a Sunday - this years, it's on April 4 Wink
saab

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 01:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It used to be a Holy Day with schools and shops closed.
Since 1953 it is celebrated between the 22 and 28th of March depending on which Sunday is closest to the 25th.
In the calender it is still Annuntiatio Mariæ
0 Replies

George

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 01:47 pm
Interesting to read about all these traditions.

I'm a Mackerel Snapper (Roman Catholic) and still practice abstinence from
meat on Fridays in Lent.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 24 Mar, 2016 02:36 pm
@George,
Which reminds of a kind of tradition we had as youth: we cycled on bicycles to a neighbouring town, where they have a 'Good Friday processions' (an anonymous persons is still carrying the cross). The procession is in the tradition of the Jesuits - thus still Jesuits are "masters of the ceromy".)
As travellers, we were allowed to get a proper meal (the above mentioned Struwen - instead of the beer soup, we had a bottle of it (or two or so).
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:42 am
When i was a kid, and we had to confess our sins, but didn't really want to tell the priest what we considered not to be his business, we'd just say we'd eaten a hot dog last Friday.
0 Replies

saab

Fri 25 Mar, 2016 04:05 am
@Blickers,
Every thursday as it was the day before fasting.
It is still served for lunch in many restaurants.
It has been served since back in the 1200 hundreds.
0 Replies