I think prostitution is hot

maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:11 am
@Setanta,
I love you too Setanta. You always make me smile.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/76/7678/N3G1300Z/posters/h-armstrong-roberts-portrait-man-close-up-head-eyes-closed-smiling-big-sweet-smile.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:12 am
I think that's another of your lies. I also doubt that you're that good looking.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:18 am
@maxdancona,
"Have you listened to them Lordy?"

Not long ago I retired from over 20 years as a Court Probation Officer.

What do you think?
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:28 am
@Lordyaswas,
That's interesting Lordy. I didn't know that you worked in the court.

I would like to know your opinion of the stories in the Red Umbrella project. Do they match up with your perspective as an officer of the court?
0 Replies

saab

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:33 am
@maxdancona,
I cannot prove anything as it is something I have read in European paper(s) over the years.
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:37 am
@saab,
There is a term for something you read in the papers for which there is no proof.

It is called propaganda.
saab

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:48 am
@maxdancona,
That was really not very smart.
Things we cannot prove, that we have read long ago is propaganda.
So if I have read in a paper - forgotten which - there was more rain in june 1950 than any other sommer after that - that should be called propaganda.
May I asked for what. Tourism?
saab

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:53 am
@saab,
Went into google and here is the very first paper I fell over. It says;
Prostitution is i 99 cases of 100 not voluntary
"Prostitution är i 99 fall av 100 inte frivillig"
0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:57 am
@saab,
Anyone can pull random statistics out of context. They are meaningless without a source and a context.

Sex workers are real people. They are individuals and they have a right to their own voices. Some of them were exploited. Some of them chose the profession on their own and want to continue working. Each person has their own story.

You should take a look at the Red Umbrella Project website I posted. The represent sex workers and tell their stories. There are similar groups in other countries including sex worker collectives in Canada and New Zealand.

Only accepting "facts" that support your preconceived beliefs, and accepting them without any understanding of where these facts come from, is not a good way to have a balanced understanding of an issue.

Many sex workers are making a very good case that their profession should be decriminalized for both sellers and buyers. They believe that this will allow them to have more control over their lives and will make their work conditions safer.

saab

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 09:30 am
@maxdancona,
Here is the whole article -
http://nyheter24.se/nyheter/752857-prostitution-ar-i-99-fall-av-100-inte-frivillig
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 09:36 am
@saab,
Judging from the google translation. That is a prime example of propaganda. They pull a number out of thin air with no source, not even a study. Real journalism provides sources.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 09:40 am
@saab,
The so-called "Swedish model" where buying sex is illegal and selling it is legal has been been a failure as far as social policy (but a great victory in propaganda). If you listen to sex worker advocacy groups what this has done is made the lives of sex workers in Sweden far more dangerous.

It used to be that a sex worker could get a clients phone number and meet them in public before deciding whether to accept his business or not. Now sex workers are complaining that they can no longer do this. The Swedish policy is driving their business underground and making their work riskier.

This isn't just my opinion.

You should listen to the civil rights groups that advocate for sex workers.
saab

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 09:44 am
@maxdancona,
bis zu 95 Prozent der rund 2.250 Prostituierten in Hamburg nicht freiwillig arbeiten.
till around 95% of the 2,250 prostituts in Hamburg do not work volontary
Really nobody works volontary
Here is the whole article
"Wirklich freiwillig ist niemand Prostituierte"
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 09:52 am
@saab,
The groups who advocate for sex workers are saying that a significant number of them choose sex work as a profession. I think sex workers have the right to speak for themselves.

Is that number you keep throwing around anything more than a random statistic that anti-sex worker groups made up for propaganda? How about a link to an actual study.
saab

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 11:05 am
@maxdancona,
Damn it!!!
I am not against sexworkers. I am against the men who thinks it is so wonderful to be able to pay for any kind of sex they want no matter how absurd it is. As long as they give the woman or man money.
They do not care about the criminality, the drugs, the trafficking, the illnesses
nothing as long as they can get their desires fullfilled.
The day when all criminality, drugs, trafficking etc are gone it will be a different thing.
Yes there are women doing it completely volontary - no taxes, no health insurance, no security what so ever - some do prefer adventure.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 11:08 am
@maxdancona,
In my experience, people who actually choose to be a sex worker very rarely have a stable home life. Their lifestyle is usually chaotic, to say the least.

They usually 'choose' to be a sex worker because they have a significant monetary crisis going on. Usually drug dependency.

Of the 50 or so local prostitutes that I have either interviewed or spoken to over the years, I cannot recall a single one who was not dependant on either drugs or alcohol in some way.
It has already been mentioned how girls (and boys) will be introduced to drugs, purely to turn them into an efficient, money making prostitute who has to work hard every day in order to keep her supply of drugs flowing.

I have never once met a single prostitute who was totally self employed and free of drugs and/or serious debt.

On the other hand I have seen countless spotty, bruised, jittery, chainsmoking, thin, unhsppy young women who have no choice but to keep their boss happy, or run the risk of cold turkey and a beating.

I know I am wasting my time writing this, as both you and romantic Tony are looking at all this in a very simplistic and rose tinted way.

Nothing anyone can say will even put the merest hint of doubt in your minds regarding the sorry plight of the vast majority of these women, and you will no doubt continue to feed the trade and contribute your bit towards the economy of your local organised crime syndicate.

Oh, and if either of you actually think that the lady you're with really means what she says about her job being great and that life couldn't be better, just try giving her only half the money she asked for, and then see how much she loves your company.

maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 11:17 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordy, you were an officer of the court. You saw a certain sub-population of sex-workers. Your experience is no doubt valid, but it isn't a whole picture of the population of sex workers.

Anyone who comes before the court has already lost their voice. They are already being labeled as either a victim or a criminal rather than as an individual.

Listen to what the sex workers in advocacy groups are saying. These groups, that treat sex workers like people (rather than as criminals or victims) understand the problems of drug dependency. They also point out that they are individuals with different wants and different needs and that it isn't fair to lump all of them together.

The case they are making for the decriminalization of their profession answers your points. The fact that law enforcement is involved makes it harder for people dealing with addiction to get help. And making buying or selling of sex illegal puts sex workers in the hands of organized crime.

Did you watch the video yet? I have looked at the arguments on both side of this issue. Have you?

Lordyaswas

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 11:30 am
@maxdancona,
I thought I was wasting my time.

Ne'er mind.
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 11:48 am
@Lordyaswas,
If you are not willing to look rationally at both sides of the issue being discussed, then you are wasting both of our times.
0 Replies

tony5732

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 12:47 pm
@saab,
I don't really buy into that. Any woman who works in a place like a Las Vegas Brothel is what I consider free will. Any woman who is trying to sell herself on back page.com or Craigslist is free will. Actually even girls that turn to pimps are doing it under their own free will. I can't see how a lot of the problem would not be solved by simply allowing brothels in more places or even having sex worker licenses that would help monitor the girls. That would self enforce, I know I would not
0 Replies