I think prostitution is hot

ehBeth

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 03:37 pm
@tony5732,
You've got a very romantic view of the world.

The lord was right.

ciao
tony5732

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 03:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I take that as a compliment
0 Replies

roger

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 04:57 pm
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

1. Clean-up, start small, work your way up. I did it with 0 dicks blown. McDonald's hires everyone. Regular sales does too.

2. Listen to max, legalize it. Problem solved.

No, McDonald's does not hire everyone, and around here, at least, they don't pay minimum wage.
glitterbag

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 05:21 pm
@roger,
I think Tony should become a prostitute
maxdancona

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 05:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Would you be a customer, Glitterbag?
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 10:22 pm
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

... how is that all the sudden worse?

What's the name of your teacher in the AP English class?
saab

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 12:50 am
You think prostitution is hot
I think you are a cold fish
Babies are sold to pedophiles - is that hot?
Some are even screwed to death - is that hot?
Children are forced by parents to do blow jobs on pedophiles - is that hot?
Young girls and boys are talked into prostitution by a "Friend" and raped till they say yes - is that hot?
Women are beaten and raped and mistreated till they say yes - is that hot?
A prostitute is not allowed to kiss the customer as then feelings might develope - is that hot?
They are not allowed to enjoy sex as they could not manage to have up to 30 custumors a night or day - is that hot?
If all that is hot - then you are icecold
Setanta

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 03:27 am
The claim that decriminalization will solve everything is as naïve as the author's claims about prostitution being "hot." If prostitution is decriminalized, there needs to be fair labor standards legislation to protect sex workers and the environment in which they work. Sex workers need the right of refusal. All of that is meaningless without enforcement. The police do not have a good attitude toward sex workers, although that can be overcome in the long term.

More than that is the problem of the exploitation of young men and women--boys and girls, really. Even with legal prostitution, scum bags are still going to exploit adolescent runaways--be a good buddy, give them "cool" drugs, and then use drugs and addiction to keep them in line. These young people are among the most vulnerable people in society because they know nothing about life, are given to despair about their options and the freedom of their choices, and ultimately alone--alone with the exploiters. As has been pointed out, there's big money in this and that means organized crime is interested. People will entrap and then pimp the ignorant and unwary, and organized crime will give them a measure of security while they do so.

Saying decriminalize prostitution and all the problems go away is bullsh*t--it's not a magic wand one can wave to make everything better. Decriminalization must be accompanied by fair labor standards legislation, and none of it means squat without a high degree of enforcement and police oversight. Furthermore, there will always be adolescent runaways, and only widespread, intelligent policing can do anything about that problem. Our self-appointed "expert" on relations between the sexes and sexual issues is, as always, full of self-righteous blather, and short on any real grasp of how life actually works.
tony5732

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 05:15 am
@Setanta,
Your right, it wouldn't solve all of the problems. It would certainly help though. There will always be problems and nothing will ever be perfect, but that would be one less thing ran by black markets. I would also like to clarify one more time I was NEVER talking about legalizing street scum pimp sex trafficking type stuff. I was talking about a mutual agreement between consenting adults. I happen to find that hot. That was not a fact it was a personal opinion.
tony5732

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 05:18 am
@saab,
I will clarify AGAIN. Mutual agreement sex cash two adults. I said nothing about babies, forced sex, sex trafficking, blah blah blah.
tony5732

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 05:19 am
@Miller,
It's been a long time since high school for some of us....
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 05:33 am
@tony5732,
No, it won't help. Only a massive effort combining complex legislation and anticipating a generation or more of resistance on the part of the police and society will change anything--and a safe environment for sex workers can only be carried out with complex legislation and police cooperation. The exploitation of children and young adults will go on regardless of the legislative environment.

You think it's "hot" for personal reasons, and not because you know anything about prostitution and what it brings in its train, and because you're only thinking about getting your own nut off.
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:19 am
@Setanta,
The claim is not that decriminalization will solve everything.

The claim is that decriminalization will make life better for sex workers. It will empower them to speak for themselves. It will make it easier for sex workers to control their own working conditions and choose their clients. It will give pimps less power because sex workers will be able to go to police and work in safer conditions on their own.

The ridiculous claim is that criminalizing the buying or selling of sex is a good idea. We know what happens because we have tried it, and it pushes sex work underground where it is more dangerous and the sex workers have less control over their own lives.

We all agree that exploitation of young men and women should be illegal. As should rape, violence etc. etc. Sex work (where both sex worker and client are choosing to engage in prostitution) is not exploitation. By pretending that every sex worker is being exploited you put every sex worker into a faceless bucket where they lose their individuality and their right to speak for themselves.

Listen to the sex workers themselves. I posted the TED talk that makes their case in the voice of a former sex worker.

The best sex worker advocacy group, and one that works with Amnesty International to decriminalize prostitution and reduce exploitation is the Red Umbrella project.

If you care, you can hear their stories here.

http://redumbrellaproject.org/about/
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:21 am
@maxdancona,
This makes me very angry.

Police in several states are using the fact that a woman is carrying condoms as evidence that she is selling sex.

Think for a moment about why that is a bad thing....
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:36 am
@maxdancona,
I've heard plenty of accounts from sex workers and former sex workers. It is not a topic which is swept under the rug in Canada, and it is frequently discussed on the CBC.

I did not claim that "criminalizing" the buying or selling of sex is a good idea. Why don't you shove your typical idiotic straw man where the sun doesn't shine. That's what you've always done when you've trashed my threads about women--you trot out false claims about what i've said and "prove" that i am "wrong"--when i've not made the claims you allege.

Your happy horseshit claims about what decriminalization will accomplish are just that--horseshit. It won't do a damned thing without enabling legislation and a serious police effort involving a lot of time and money. The same is true for protecting exploited children and young adults on the street--a problem which will never go away whether nor not prostitution is legal. I don't think you've given much consideration to this topic at all--you just have decided to play the expert at this site for all matters concerning relations of men and women. I see no reason to believe that.

The Supreme Court of Canada struck down the prostitution laws of Canada more than two years ago. They then gave the Parliament one year to bring in new legislation--should the choose to do so. Stephen Harper did not choose to do so, and therefore, each province or municipality has struggled with this issue. It has been a topic for discussion and debate here, and as i've said, the CBC has given it a great deal of air play.

But good ol' Max is so eager to play the expert and to self-righteously lecture others on any topic to do with the relations between the sexes. You demonstrate time and again how little you know and how warped your view is. She must have really screwed with your head, huh?
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:42 am
@Setanta,
It always turns into personal attacks with you Setanta.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta, did you take the time watch the TED video I posted where a sex worker activist makes her case based on her own experience? Did you look at the web site I posted which advocates for sex workers (and supports both decriminalization and efforts to end exploitation)?

It is important to listen respectfully to both sides of an argument. I certainly think in this case the sex workers who want to continue working in safer conditions and with more control have a pretty powerful voice.

If you respond with a barrage of insults whenever anyone disagrees with you, it will be impossible to have an informed discussion.

I would ask you what claims I am making that you think are false... but I fear that this will just end up in another impressive chain of vulgarity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:54 am
Don't feed me some horseshit about respect, you hypocritical phony. You have trashed one thread of mine after another because of your pent-up resentments against women, and you always use straw man fallacies to make false accusations against me. So yeah, i consider it a personal matter, and personally, it think you're a twisted creep trying to project a phony persona.
saab

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:57 am
@tony5732,
About 5% or even less of all grown up prostituts do it on free will - please note - free will and mutual agreement. No pimps, no criminals just one person working on their own absolute free will. The rest ist what you call bla bla bla -
maxdancona

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:58 am
@saab,
Quote:
About 5% or even less of all grown up prostituts do it on free will

Can you provide a scientific and unbiased source of this statistic? Sex worker advocates certainly don't seem to think this is true.