I need some living advice

Joedoe6

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 12:39 am
@chai2,
Yup all of that. Im gonna be looking down at my little sisters telling the story of how i lived in the car before i get us our own place, straight up. Thanks man, this aint **** i cant handle!! Some kids my age would probably be too pussy to live in their cars ahaa. And yes, The Kid is the future.
0 Replies

Joedoe6

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 12:42 am
@Linkat,
Thank you, and ill save a lot of time as well. You said it.
0 Replies

Joedoe6

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 12:49 am
@chai2,
Haa i wasnt expecting anyone to be up whats up man.
But log the entire experience just on this single.thread??
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 07:57 am
@Joedoe6,
Sure. Or start another one with a title that indicates what you're doing.

I think it would be interesting to be able to see the ups and downs, what problems arise, discoveries made, good or funny things.

Yes, I love being up later at night. Usually go to bed at 2am or so.

This morning I had to get up at 7am and it was complete torture. Probably going back to bed now, because I can.

I had to deliver some paperwork last night, and was driving through the city at 1am. I was thinking how beautiful everything is at night. Quiet and serene. You don't have to speed because there's no traffic where you keep having to stop. I have a Prius, and I drove through almost the entire length from N. 55th St, to S. 22nd st. (not called 22nd, just indicating its block numbers) almost all in electric mode, so I was silent except for my tires turning. It was like flying through outer space, with the lit buildings and street lights the stars. Turned off the radio and just breathed the soft clear cool air.

I don't like to say I feel sorry for people, because I don't like people to say that to me, but people who function all in the day, and are never out and about at that time don't know what they are missing. The few other people out driving at that time? It's like there's a connection.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 09:50 am
First of all.. let me say that I have NOT read all the comments but the general idea I get is that most are telling you NOT to live in your car for a plethora of reasons.

hi Joe. Im a long time member.. and I used to live in my car. Well, I lived in a van. Smile And.. I would do it again. So let me give you some advice, ideas and some things to ponder before you make that decision.

Number one.
GET food stamps. While you still have an address and you can intercept the mail, get them now. And if it makes you feel wrong for collecting it, only use what you need and leave the rest on the card. it accumulates, and when you close your account, any unused portion is thrown back into the pool for another account. But get it.. if you ever lose your job or your income, it is a life saver . You dont even have to use it.. but do have it on hand. While you are at it, get medicad too. If something happens to you physically, you need a doctor. With this program, you get a free phone. GET that. You need a second phone number that is not yours to convince potential employers that you have a home. So get it and use it.

Dont think.. for one second you can skate by on about 800 a month and sock away enough money to make a difference in 2 or 3 months. Know NOW that this endeavor is going to be a minimum 6 months.. .and thats if you do it right.

Also know.. that NO, it is not a super dangerous thing, and in fact in most places it is not illegal. At all. If you can find a KOA camp ground near where you are, pay the 28 or so for a 2 week parking space and you will have a set up, routine spot to go to that will be relatively safe. I dont know what kind of security they have there anymore, but at least it is a community of people that will be around , and more eyes equal more peace.

Food. Is. A . Problem.
However, it is not expensive. learn to dumpster dive. I wont elaborate because I know the knee jerk response from most people is " oh **** that nasty mess" .. when, in all honesty, when done right, is a free buffet of safe, packaged CLEAN food. If you want to know more, send me a message. I was homeless for years.. I know what to do, and how to do it. And like I said, if done right, you will walk out of this with a good amount of cash and be able to jump right into the life you want . I think, reducing all your bills like this is a smart thing to do, so long as you stay on task and know your **** before you start. If things make you squeamish... dont do this.

Scout out now for 24 hour stores like Walmart. Walmart allows people to park in their lots over night so long as the store hours are 24hrs. If they close at night, you can not stay. Find several. You will need to change to a new place daily to not be harassed. Its a simple explanation of " my gf and I are fighting so I have to sleep in the car tonight" to an officer who finds you the first time in a spot... but not easy to explain away if they find you again, and again. Large public parks with high traffic are the best. ESPECIALLY if there is a river . If you live in a place where there are a lot of local fishing places, find a crappy pole some where for 5 bucks and put it in your back window at night. That way, if a cop wakes you ... all you have to do is say " im sleeping here so I can fish early" . These kinds of small lies save your ass. So start planning some out, and while scouting out places to park, rehearse them.

Food pantries.
get your canned food there. Period. All you need is valid ID, sometimes not even that. Canned food, when put on a hot engine will warm it to about the same temp as a warm bath tub which beats cold. Do NOT put it on your carburetor though..get it as close as you can to the engine block itself and remember to remove the paper.

To open a can , if your can opener does not work, take the top of the can against rough concrete like stairs or a sidewalk. Push as HARD as you can down on the can and rub the top back and forth. The top will separate and quickly. Voila.. no need for a can opener.

invest in a large jug of vinegar, and a tiny , empty squirt bottle. The vinegar when put into a squirt bottle of 1/3 vinegar will help sanitize an area if need be. Trust me when I tell you... you need this.
You also need to get a small spray bottle and put about 2 tablespoons of downy or other fabric softner in it, spray it onto a rag and make it damp, then wipe the insides of your car windows once a week. This will stop the windows from steaming up on cool nights which is a dead giveaway that someone is sleeping in a car and can attract attention. If you can handle it, sleep with the windows cracked to help that even more.

bathing.. is never a problem. Dont worry about that. As you said a gym membership solves that problem.. so does a river.. so does a gas station bathroom. You will need to go to a dollar store and get about 5 wash cloths and keep a dry one on hand ALL the time for this.

Essentials..
Deodorant. A scented lotion. Mouthwash. vinegar. Sterno. Box of matches. Plastic bags ( you can use this to purify water if you ever get into some serious dire straights or get stranded away from the city) a paper map , a swiss army knife, tin foil .

When it comes to shopping for food, do not live on snacks. You will go broke, be hungry and get sick. You will need to eat as real of food as possible. nuts, fruits, berries, etc. No cereal, pop tars, saltines..etc. Educate yourself on food content and nutrient content. Even if you are enjoying yourself, just dealing with the stress of hiding, and constantly being on the move WILL cause a hard stress reaction to your body. WHAT YOU EAT will change that. Please.. if you take nothing else from what I say to heart.. please, please watch your food.

Store all of your belongings in the trunk. Leave nothing but a blanket or pillow in your car. The less you look like you LIVE in it, the easier this is going to be. not to mention, if you ever have an interview, OR if your aunt wants to see you... all traces of living in your car should be gone. So keep it tidy. This includes washing it. that part is critical.

learn basic mechanics. Youtube is your friend. A small wrench set , a flat head and phillps head screw driver, socket set.. keep it on hand. When your starter goes out, you dont have to pay someone several hundred for something you can do yourself. ( its usually just a few screws and can be done in under an hour for example) There is a book called Haynes. find one for your year and make of car and keep it. You will only spend about 15 bucks, but it gives you a step by step...exactly how to fix things in your car and you will need that.

DONT-
-buy food for a week at a time. 2 days at best. You dont need that clutter, or that smell. Make a minimum budget per week and stick to it. you should be able to eat enough on 20-30 a week.

-drink in your car. If you want to have a beer do it away from your car. legally, you face different and harsher punishments when you live in your car than when you are just sitting at a park bench. AND, if you are caught drinking, your car wont be towed because you can say you walked. See what i mean..

-worry about staying at homeless shelters. In fact, unless it is extreme weather, avoid them like the plague. You can , and I would recommend, finding soup kitchens. usually, you can shower for free during their meal times

-keep a pet. just.. dont.

- park at any upscale place. EVER. Not even a mall unless you are just there for a short time. The cheaper and lower quality the store is, the safer you are.

- take your car off road. I know this sounds silly, but if you hit a dirt road and have a flat, have a break down...etc.. I cant tell you how fucked youre gonna be so stay on pavement.

- pee outside of your car. If you are parking some where like a parking lot, or grassy area for a few days, the smell of human piss makes people think there is a homeless person in the area. human piss smells bad after just a few times. Always make the effort to go far away from where you are parked so that the smell is not near you. use old water bottles if its late at night and throw them away. This is a major, major point. Remember you can not leave a trace if you dont want to be bothered. Also, you dont want anyone to catch ON to your spot if you use it more than once.

- dont tell anyone. Not even your aunt. Just your friends who will help you.

---
use what money you have and get these things -

4 clean white tshirts ( nothing says I HAVE A HOME like a white, clean shirt)
towels. 3 should be enough
sleeping bag
a roll of black plastic bags ( a lot of survival things can be done with those. use youtube and learn. You will save a lot of money)
defense. An old bayonet is great. no, im not advocating a gun.. in fact, having a gun while living in your car is kinda stupid unless you have a permit.
a tube of super glue. This will help seal foods in bags, cover cuts, repair shoes, clothes etc.. and it takes up minimal space.
a fingernail brush. KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN when you are around other people. I dont care how good your story is, if your hands are dirty a cop will not believe you, nor will a prospective employer.
get rid of excess junk. If you are an avid reader or movie watcher, get a kindle and have that be your only source of entertainment.
A smallmed kit with band aids, tape and ace bandages.
A cooler. The one that fits a 6 pack. Anything bigger screams " I live in my car" and wont help you talk your way out of problems if anyone comes to your car.
Keep your dashboard clean and clear. keep your floor board vacuumed. A small hand broom will work for that.
Sterno. I have said it already once.. so I have to repeat it. Sterno is a life saver, but you can not burn it in your car with out cracking your window. You only need one can. If you dont know what it is, or know how to handle it.. watch some videos and get familiar with it.
Keep your clothes wrinkle free! Lay them flat against your back seat and put your blanket over the top of them before you sleep. You can use the fabric softener spray and very lightly spray them before you put your sleeping bag on top of them. This will flatten them and put creases in your clothes that "look ironed". This is important. Wrinkled clothes are not your best friend when you are trying to hide what you are doing.
Keep your socks clean. If your feet or socks get wet, take them off immediately and change them. The biggest clothing need is socks. Dry , clean ones. I would honestly recommend you keep 10 pair. Walking wears them out, they keep your feet clean and keep your toes warm.

And finally, just keep up with your appearance. Always try to look like you might be filling out an application. This doesnt mean wearing a suit and tie.. but it does mean ditch band tshirts as daily wear. keep things pressed looking by sleeping on them, keep stains out of your clothes..etc.etc.

To keep your clothes cleaner longer, find a place where you can lay them in the sun. You DONT have to wash a pair of pants just because you wore them for a few hours. you can wear things more than once so long as they dont smell. Keep a fresh towel in the seat of your car to sit on. The sweat from your body, and possible mud and gunk is gonna create an old stale smell that will give you away to any one . Always sit on a fresh towel. Invest in a good folding chair so that when you do park some where, you can sit outside of your car and let it air out. At least every other day find a way to open your doors and windows completely for an hour or two. Cars do not have good circulation and you dont want your clean clothes to absorb that odor. Air tight plastic containers are going to be best. One for clean, one for dirty.

And finally.. never..ever.. ever keep money in the car. Thats a simple thing, but one people often forget.

im sorry if i sound preachy, or rude.. i definitely dont mean to. Ive been there, done that... and I had an absolute blast. I cant do it now because I have a daughter, and other responsibilities... but, if i were childless and bored, I would pack up and travel that way! In a heart beat.

I have MANY other things I can tell you, but Im going to stop here so that I dont sound like I am lecturing you Smile

Good luck to you! I hope you have fun.. and stay safe. its not too hard, but it does require a different level of thinking.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 11:07 am
@shewolfnm,
I've always admired your posts, and now even more. I like people who are independent, and can survive through hardships, because I was one in my younger years. I never had to sleep in my car (never had one to sleep in), and never on the streets. The worst one was a closet sized room with only my bed in it in Chicago. I survived on lots of hot dogs. Living from paycheck to paycheck was no fun, so I volunteered into the USAF. From then on, it was all up hill.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 01:03 pm
Kid, make this woman shewolf your sensei.

Do PM her if you have any questions, she meant it when she said that.

I'm proud to call her a personal friend, and if anyone thinks it's prayers or angels or whatknot that sent her here, I'm here to say it was this very demon that asked her.

Laughing Laughing
Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 01:44 pm
@shewolfnm,
You can also look up on this website freegans -- it gives details on how to live a freegan lifestyle. Now it doesn't seem like this is a lifestyle you are planning for long term, but maybe some of this could help you to begin with.

http://freegan.info/
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:48 pm
@Linkat,
I've looked at that website before linkie, and it does have food for thought, and points I agree with, there are parts that are a bit too subversive for me.

I too agree the massive amounts of food that is wasted, simply thrown out by stores when it is absolutely perfect, is unconscionable. Same with not just usable, but brand new clothes and many other items.

Just look at the trailer for the documentary "Just Eat It"

I listened to this couple interviewed on NPR. Jaw dropping. In that trailer, towards the end, did you see that dumpster full of humus? It had not even reached it's sell by date, let alone it's expiration date. A TON of it that could have fed how many people.

One thing these people said that us, people walking through the produce aisle can do is stop examining every little thing on each piece of fruit or vegetable. You know that apple that you pick up and put back, not even because it has a bruise, but because you just didn't like the way it was shaped, or it was a quarter of an inch bigger or smaller than the others? As the title of the documentary says "just eat it" just pick up the first apple you touch and buy it. That one green pepper or turnip is no different from any other in the bin. (unless it's gone rotten of course).

If you grow food in a garden, don't you eat the cucumber that has a different curve in it, or the tomato that just has a funny bump to it?

Crazy, but you'll go to a farmers market and buy the same thing, but farmers are forced to just reject all these because they don't fit some generic mold.

Anyway, back to the freegan site. There are things in there I don't agree with. For instance, that the clerk that rings up your purchase of some item produced in a bad/questionable way, is just as responsible for it as the producer. Or that people have a right to squat on property that clearly belongs to you, because "you're not using it" or that it's decrepit anyway so they should be allowed to live there. It even goes so far on that website to say that the owners "don't deserve to own that building"

There's other pretty radical stuff there. This is more of a total lifestyle being a freegan, but it does give someone who would like to adopt or utilize parts of it some ideas.
Count of Banterbury

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:53 pm
@Joedoe6,
as a guy who is used to live in different shitholes (surprise A2K users! I am not just some posh douche!) 1 month is not much, but as people say, make sure you won't get robbed and try not to be too much on people's sight with is. Also take good care for hygiene - you will need someone with shower, washing machine and ironing board at least.

besides, I see no problem. enjoy outdoor life Wink
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 06:02 pm
A random thought, tying together the food waste/freegan/getting by on limited funds thing.

Check out supermarkets on Fridays, I would guess particularly in the morning.

Supermarkets are trying to get rid of prepared and/or near expiration fresh foods on that day, to make way for the busy weekend. They want to get the newest fresh stuff out on the floor.

If I stop by the store on Friday, I make a point to cruise the produce aisle. Fresh salads that are already prepared, a container of fancy lettuce, like field greens and/or romaine, party vegetable and fruit trays often have stickers on them saying they are 50% off.
I'm not saying that makes them super cheap, but it's nice to get a green salad that's got some chicken, mexican or thai style, with some pasta product and a container of dressing for 2 bucks. Nice for a change. The fancy lettuce clamshell contain might be $4 or $5, and has a ton of lettuce in it. Enough for a salad for 4 or 5 people. It might be something you could pick up if you happened to be going to a friends house that night, like as a thank you or contribution to the meal.

If you go through the meat department, you might see a similar deal of some raw chicken, but of course that needs to be cooked and eaten right away.

Showing up at a friends house "Here, I have brought you the gift of lettuce and raw chicken." Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 07:37 pm
@chai2,
Yeah I agree .... but you can use some of the ideas. Really don't like parts that are on the illegal side like moving into condemned properties or simikar. But more there using of goods thrown away or listed as give aways or trades.
Joedoe6

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 08:49 pm
@shewolfnm,
Thank you Sinsei, very wise indeed. But yesss im gonna get some food stamps for now, and i have health insurance thanks man. But yeah ive got about 10 spots to rotate from, im chillin at one of them right now aha.
Im pretty sure i just landed a job with a liveable pay rate, ill know for sure on Friday!
And exactly its all about the budget. i have a list of bills nd income etc.

man im even going to bother with a cooler, just a container for perishables, and yeah im very health conscience, i eat a ton of almonds, cashews and a lot of fruit too. But lets not get carried away i need my honey bunches of oats man!! But yup i live close to a few markets soo ill be all loaded up.

Very true on all the wardrobe advice.

Um ill just get some febreeze, and a hand vacuum for car, roger that on the vinegar, and i have tints all around bro

I dont really understand the water purifying bit..

And im a mechanic by the way, another small source of income.

But things that im NOT going to do, im sorry but im not dumpster diving, or sleeping in shelters, ive done enough of those as a kid, lol. I wouldnt drink.in my car, thats asking for trouble. Aaand im defintely not going off road, no need for that!! And over everything im not telling anyone **** about where i sleep except my significant, and my best friend.

But yeah youre right though its all about appearance and presentation, gotta seem middle class or better.

Bottom line its all about being, clean, healthy, and looking like youve got youre **** together. That just sounds like me already..

& Nah man you dont sound preachy or rude thanks for the help, seriously. A daughter is a blessing and a half bro, good for you!!!!

With thorough strategy, planning, and thinking on my feet ill survive out here, then get my own place,thats all.

Soon, im going to plan my move out day and finally leave the nest and its all going to be logged on this here thread!

Soooooo thanks a ton, but Master Sinsei Nomad Guru.. WTF DO I TELL MY AUNT????...

Remember in school when you had to take a test and make sure you actually answered the question???? This is one of those moments... You knew the answer to "living in your car advice", soo well that you didnt get around to answering my Aunt question. lol, thanks again man, nice meetin ya.
0 Replies

Joedoe6

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 08:56 pm
@chai2,
Lol yup i.just did...She seems extremely informative, and.willing to help. Thanks
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 09:11 pm
@Linkat,
ok yeah, I totally agree.

I don't think some people realize there is a whole other economy going on that doesn't involve this quite frankly high standard most of have as far as living.

People barter and trade with each other, share information on where to go at a certain time to get something, sleep in their cars and vans or find someplace safe enough.

I knew this guy 25 years ago, that to look at him he had the life. Always was immaculately groomed, cologned, dressed not in a suit, but really nice pants, jeans and shirts. He had a job. He also kept his belongings and sometimes lived in a self storage unit. He tried to avoid sleeping there, as he knew he'd eventually get caught. But that was his home base for all his good stuff until he could work out whatever had hit him badly financially.

We were not exactly dating, if you know what I mean, and I didn't mind him having a sleepover at my place once every week or 2. He didn't wear out his welcome. He not exactly dated another girl or 2. He wasn't a dog or anything, he was actually very nice. Between staying a day or 2 here or there, and at a friends, and some aunt once in awhile, he made due. I ran into him a few years after that, and he had a nice place, kept all his stuff, and was just as nice as before (although we didn't have another sleepover. Don't think my husband would have liked that) Cool

When I was working I had a nice private office. If I had wanted to, I could have easily have slept there and no one ever would have known. I'm sure there's a significant amount of people that do that for awhile. You're in a safe environment, safer than a car, certainly safer than a shelter.

I always thought if I had a little store, I would just convert part of the back room to a bed area, and just stay back there cozy as a bug in a rug after business hours.

That office building I stop by to get the paperwork I do at home for them? Any one of them could double, or be a tiny bedroom if that's all you need, as well as your office. There is no housekeeping service even, so no one would ever bust in on you. There's a bathroom down the hall, wi-fi, and the rent has to be incredibly cheap. They are like these 12 by 12 foot nooks. I'm in and out of there all the time, day and night. I've never seen bugs or other vermin. It would be no worse than living in a college dorm room. The space the company I bill for wouldn't work, because it's basically a pick up and drop off space for about 20-30 people, so people coming in and out. But I've gone there, especially after hours, practically wearing my pajamas and bunny slippers.

There's a Gold's gym within walking distance, and I just looked and an annual membership to one club would only set you back $20 to $25 a month. There's a grocery store one block past that.

For all I know, someone does live in one of the other little spaces. No one would ever know if you were quiet about it. You could die there and know one would know until there was a funny odor. lol.

I love my house, and the quality of it, because we rebuilt it. But to be honest, and maybe this is a little different for a female type person that I am, it wouldn't bother me living in a tiny room for however long, as long as it was private and safe. The safe part leaves out (to me) boarding houses, government housing, shelters. I like the way I've decorated my home, but I really wouldn't be bothered by blank walls or sleeping on a comfortable roll up mattress type deal.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 10:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
thank you CI.
Coming from you, that is a real compliment.
I hope your life is going well for you Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 10:38 pm
Also, bus station lockers are your friend.

Keep valuables that you dont use every day in one of those. They cost about 2 bucks for a day. Of course only use it when necessary, but they can save your behind.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 10:41 pm
I dont know your aunt so I cant help you there Smile
Maybe just tell her you are going to be a room mate with someone else.

if she ever comes to visit.. you moved in another person so you have to use the couch for now ... (?)
I really cant help you with that one. Laughing
Joedoe6

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 11:04 pm
@shewolfnm,
That helps, i can have a friend vouch for me, say im living with him... i dont see why not, im sure i could find someone who wouldnt mind backing up my lie lol
chai2

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 11:44 pm
@Joedoe6,
hmmm.

I'd try to avoid making your story to her more complicated than it has to be, and getting friends involved.

What if you just said you were renting a room in someone's house, and they don't want visitors.
Simple.

Hey, google, "safe parking program conneticut".

Information not really new, but there might be places you can register to park at overnight, if you sleep in your car.
0 Replies