Football (soccer) friendly games and quali. for WC 2006

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:46 am
so, still some additional information:

Spain-England 1:0 and NOT 0:1 Razz in a terribly rough game with Wayne Rooney in leading role - he was substituted during first half after numerous nasty tackles.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:45 am
I wrote that, although I'm rather a fan of Spain in this game ;-)
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
The Bernabau was also ringing to monkey chants "Ooh, Ooh, Ooh" etc. when the black English players were on the ball.

We are quite unused to this in England and the commentators on the BBC couldn't help but give additional commentary on how shocking it was...we could hear it on the TV at home.

The Spanish coach and press seem to have thought it unremarkable and think the English are making a fuss.

Yes - we are making a fuss, but because it is UNACCEPTABLE in this day and age. Spain should be kicked out of the World Cup qualifiers if it happens again in any of those games - the fans would soon wake up to the idea that racism is not tolerated.

Rant over!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 10:26 am
kitchenpete wrote:

The Spanish coach and press seem to have thought it unremarkable and think the English are making a fuss.

Yes,the coach not. Probably also not all of the press.

But the football association in Spain and actually also the foreign minister of Spain apologised.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 10:28 am
I read another thing about the reaction in Spain. It was widely critisized by the press. The Spanish government, the Spanish Royal Football Federation and the major of Madrid all condemned the racist remarks.

It was probably the "Ultra Sur" followers of Real Madrid, which are known for their extreme right political leanings (and an extra reason to hate the so-called "Galácticos").
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 02:46 am
kitchenpete wrote:
The Bernabau was also ringing to monkey chants "Ooh, Ooh, Ooh" etc. when the black English players were on the ball.

As Nick Hornby correctly puts it, writing about english fans though, funny thing is that people that are closest to monkeys as they can be are using this kind of chants to offend someone else Rolling Eyes

Quote:
We are quite unused to this in England and the commentators on the BBC couldn't help but give additional commentary on how shocking it was...

Well, well, now let's not get over excited Wink English fans INVENTED it.

Quote:
it is UNACCEPTABLE

You are completely right here.

Quote:
in this day and age.

but not here. It was equaly unacceptable when England was in leading role in football racism, as well as things English fans are doing today on most of international competitions are unacceptable

Quote:
Spain should be kicked out of the World Cup qualifiers if it happens again in any of those games - the fans would soon wake up to the idea that racism is not tolerated.

I agree. Problem is that Germany was not kicked out of World Cup 98 and England was not kicked out of....well...every competition they qualified for. OK; except Portugal Smile
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 02:50 am
btw, with last sentence I meant: racism and monkey chants are disgusting, but not really worse then destroying towns and beating everyone that doesn't support England.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:24 am
MOU

I can't condone the behaviour of the minority of England fans who destroy property and pick fights. I wouldn't really want to go to any overseas England games for the very reason that I may be associated with/caught in the reaction caused by such fans.

I was too young to recognise racism in English football when it was still prevalent. I didn't really follow football very much before the early 90s.

KP
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
Oh, I know. I never thought you were one of hooligans or that you would protect them in any way. I just thought that it's a bit wrong to say "we are quite unused to it in England" and that it's a bit out of line for BBC commentators to be shocked.

Generally, I think football hooliganism in Europe is huge problem. Some countries, England is good example actually, did a lot of things to make stadium secure, but none didn't solved problem of hooligans.
Problem is that among "fans" behaviour like this is accepted, even when it is not "pure racism" or "real racism". For example, in Croatia it's "normal" for basketball fans of few teams to give monkey chants for black players of other team. What is bizzare is that those teams also have black players and that they are their heroes.
So, same people will in one action chant like monkeys, and in other action chant name of "their" black player.
But, their attitude is that if someone is playing for opposing team you are allowed to do everything you want to offend him or distract him.

There is topic "Soccer wars" about same things, if you are interested Wink

Soccer Wars
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:02 pm
To lock "Soccer wars" and this WC 2006 qualyfication threads, let me say that here in Mexico we are very glad that the two participants of the real Soccer War, El Salvador and Honduras, were both eliminated from WC 2006. Their media sponsored raving nationalism makes it hellish for opponents to pay visit to those countries. For example, the people camp outside the visitors' hotel, play loud music, blast their claxons and shoot firecrakers all night before the game, with nothing but a wink from the local police. At the stadium, they are worse, specially if it's against Mexico, "the Colossus of the North". When they get beaten and eliminated -which is often- rioting often ensues.

Now we'll only have to visit the USA (fans are civil, plus they schedule the game as near to the Canadian border as they can: cold and apart from Mexicans living in the US), Costa Rica (very civil), Guatemala (Ok), Panama (they'll have a party) and Trinidad - Tobago (they always have a party, man).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:35 pm
Quote:
Two held over abuse allegations

Two men are being questioned over allegations footballer Dwight Yorke was racially abused during a match at Blackburn Rovers, police said.

The suspects went to Blackburn police station on Tuesday and were arrested on suspicion of committing a racially aggravated public order offence.

Yorke, a Birmingham City player, claimed he faced monkey chants and other racist abuse as he warmed up.

Blues boss Steve Bruce said the player will press charges.

Two detectives from Lancashire CID travelled to Birmingham on Tuesday to take statements from Yorke and others at the club.
The suspects were captured on television and pictured in newspapers hurling abuse at the player during Sunday's 3-3 draw at Ewood Park - where he left to join City.

Lancashire Police said the pair contacted police following the appeal and arranged to come to the station and were now being interviewed.

Last week, several black England players were subjected to similar chants and abuse during a friendly match against Spain in Madrid.

The manager of Birmingham City, Steve Bruce, said the club backed Yorke's decision to press charges.

"We're 100% behind Dwight and the action he took," Steve Bruce told Sky Sports News.

'Sad situation'

"There's no room for it, we've seen the ugly, horrible side of it last week in Spain, it obviously still exists and even though just one person out of 22,000, that's one person too many.

"We've all made huge efforts, especially Birmingham, a big, huge, multi-cultural city and the last thing we want is to be having someone of Dwight Yorke's ability being racially abused.

"He's done more than most, he's graced the game, he's lit up the game for 10 or 12 years.

"The whole situation is sad. We are right behind him."

And Bruce defended club co-owner David Sullivan, who had angered some by playing down the incident.

'Not leaving'

"One thing is a fact," said Bruce. "He's certainly not racist.

"We've got half the team here that we've bought and he's put the money together for the black players we've brought into the club.

"I don't think he's made the comments in the way that's been construed."

Birmingham City chairman David Gold said on Tuesday Yorke will not be leaving the club.

Gold told the BBC: "Dwight is absolutely committed, focused and anxious to do well for Birmingham.

"The club and the board are fully behind Dwight."

Source
0 Replies