Out of State Trade Purchase of Firearm

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 11:50 am
As a resident of Colorado, I was thinking of driving to the Wannamaker Gun show in Tulsa, OK this weekend. If I should trade, sell or purchase a firearm at this show what are the legal requirements to personally carry the firearm across state lines back into the state of my residence for my own personal use?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 700 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 12:38 pm
@tgh97531,
I don't believe you will be able to cash 'n carry a gun if you are an out of state resident.

At least, that's what a Michigan resident was told when she wanted to purchase at a Tennessee gun show. Seller had to take all documentation, wait for screening, then mail the item.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 03:22 pm
@tgh97531,
So it appears you will have to check out the local laws as well as the OK laws. This link should help out:
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/oklahoma/
tgh97531

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 06:01 pm
@Baldimo,
Oklahoma gun laws allow the private sale of firearms without a background check. Colorado law private sales to be processed through a licensed dealer.
The federal law prohibiting resident from one state from buying handguns in another state was overturned last year by Judge Reed O'Connor in in North Texas district federal court in Mance verses Holder. I would imagine the DOJ is appealing the case but have been unable to find further information.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 01:03 pm
@tgh97531,
I know Colorado's laws, I live here. I was pointing out that some states allow out of state purchase and some don't.
0 Replies