Installing Word 2000 and Word 97

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:46 pm
I just purchased a new computer, so I have to reinstall all my programs. I want to install Office 2000, which will include Word 2000, but I also have to reinstall the old Word 97. Can both programs be installed and operate without Word 2000 upgrading 97? I'd like to have both Word 2000 and 97 as separate programs.

(I know that Word 2000 can be saved down to Word 97, but that won't work for me because I have to run an Almost Paper conversion program on some documents. It was created for Word 97 and doesn't it work with Word 2000.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,821 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:53 am
If you have Windows NT/2000/XP you should be able to create seperate "profiles" (i.e. "User accounts") on the machine and log in as 2 different user names - once you do that you could install Word 2000 as one user and Word 97 as another.

If you try to install them both as the same user Word 2000 will want to overwrite Word 97 all the time.

You'd have to log off and back in again (as the other user..) each time you want to change between the programs but I don't know of any other way to do it easily.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:59 am
I just looked real quick at Almost Paper's WWW site. Which version are you running? The latest (v2.1) supports Word 2000 directly (as well as maintaining support for Word 97). Darn expensive though.. ($300/license) no "upgrade version" either... Sad
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 11:49 am
Thanks, fishin', for the advice. That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to have to log in as two different users. Drat!

I never even thought to look for a website for Almost Paper. I know the product is copyrighted, but I didn't know he had marketed it. It was developed for use in the court system in Mb. I have an older version on my computer now and an updated version to install on the new computer. Fortunately, I don't have to pay for it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 01:30 pm
I just installed Office XP on a puter that needed to keep some old Office programs.

I did the advanced install and it gave me the option of uninstalling old components.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:40 pm
I asked around today and spoke to someone who's in the same position as I am. When she upgraded, her system came pre-loaded with Windows XP and Office 2000. She loaded her Office 97 CD using a "typical" installation, not a "custom" and it's it's fine. Wondering if the key is in loading 97 after 2000 is installed.

Hubby asked the tech people at the office if that would work, and aside from the fact that they think I'm nuts to want to install 97, they think it might work. I guess I'll soon find out ...
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:17 pm
fishin' and Craven, I'm about to bash the machine into little pieces, but got everything loaded. I loaded Office 2000 first and then Word 97 ('cause that's all I need) in a different directory. Both work!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:40 pm
Ain't computers fun? lol

Glad to hear you got things working. Put the hammer away now before you hurt someone/something! Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 07:45 pm
"To err is human. To do so reliably, repeatedly, and in precisely the same fashion every time, requires a computer"

timber (who didn't originate that saying)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 08:21 pm
fishin', too late ... Very Happy

No kidding, timber!
0 Replies