Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 08:23 pm
I have to wait 62 seconds before I can post. That's stupid! I quit a2k as of now. I even had to wait to post this last one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 4,295 • Replies: 102

roger

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I do hope you know the reason is those auto posted spam messages. They used to be able to post their stuff within seconds, leaving us with multiple pages of essentially the same poop.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 08:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Roger is right.

Meantime, you don't have to stay up at night monitoring and shutting off this spam ****.

It isn't about you or me.

The timing thing is a tool, as spammers load **** to the site very fast.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 08:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
http://able2know.org/topic/315079-1#post-6151899

Cousin Jespah tells it like it is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 08:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Would you rather six pages of incomprehensible gibberish?

I hope you stay on.
Blickers

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 09:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You've been here a long time. You're just going to walk away?
dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 07:33 am
@Blickers,
I think it's just a tantrum.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:22 am
@dlowan,
There are many ways to control spam. I have reported spam often to the monitors. They have responded in reasonable time. We just don't see spam often enough to delay the whole site. That just doesn't make any sense.

It seems there's no longer a delay in posting. I hope it stays that way.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think you are being unreasonable. The wait times are to preclude or ward off incessant spammers or spam bots (my tech vocabulary is not great) - not to ward you off. The timer (or whatever the mechanism is, I have no idea) doesn't know it's you trying to post, it is simply monitoring fast posting.

Every once in a while I double click by mistake, and get the wait X seconds message. Or, I will have been posting a lot.

Anyway, I hope you decide to stay.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
We just don't see spam often enough to delay the whole site.

there have been times when there has been 4 or more straight pages of nothing but spam

whatever the moderating team needs to make dealing with it manageable is ok by me - though it does bog down the word games a bit
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:48 am
@ehBeth,
I missed those four or more pages of spam. The spams I've seen are those that's repeated on different forums with the same post - usually to sell something or collect money for charity.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
Often CI, especially in the mornings (8am UK time) there can be four or five pages of spam suddenly arrive in a matter of a minute or so.

It's not often the case that I have time to report it all, but do so when I can.
At that time, the vast majority of a2k's members are still fast asleep (1am, 2am, 3am over there) and I often feel for poor old Jesp and the other unsung heroes, knowing that they will be waking up to a stack of repetetive deleting.

This is a good move if it will solve a lot of the problem, as I'm sure that the hamsters have real lives to get on with.

So.....

Three cheers for the long suffering hamsters.

Hip hip....
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 12:01 pm
@Lordyaswas,
HURRAY! I didn't think about the work the monitors do 24/7. They deserve the recognition due them. I've never seen those four-five pages of spam.
If any of them ever come to the San Francisco area, I'll treat them to a good meal and drinks.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 12:04 pm
@ossobuco,
It isn't about you or me, but as a participant, I will not participate if there are delays in posting. That's for me; not anybody else.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 12:19 pm
Does anyone really come up with something well thought out enough to justify posting more often than the time delay allows? I've never run into it as a limitation.

Is it me? Am I just 'Slow'?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 12:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It isn't about you or me, but as a participant, I will not participate if there are delays in posting. That's for me; not anybody else.

The irony is that the built-in antispamming feature doesn't actually delay mass spammer from mass spamming the board as evidenced by the mass spammer this past Friday morning posting dozens upon dozens of spam posts in a span of an hour (where if you look at the time the posts were made, they clearly got around the minimum time between postings condition to the board).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 12:29 pm
@Lordyaswas,
If you report it from the UK, and I report it from the West Coast of the US, we pretty much have it covered. I don't see spam that often, and when I do, I report it immediately. It's been working pretty well from my end, and don't see any need for delays.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 12:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Does anyone really come up with something well thought out enough to justify posting more often than the time delay allows? I've never run into it as a limitation.

Is it me? Am I just 'Slow'?

If you faithfully play in the word game boards, you can bump your noggin on the time per posts limits.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 01:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Didn't think of that, I guess you could hit the limit easy on those. Never played them myself.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 01:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Reporting doesn't remove it. A moderator still has to remove it. The workload is the same, the reporting makes it easier to find.

1. Forums
  2. » Goodbye to ak2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 02:50:50