German soldiers allowed to have sex with each other

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 07:57 pm
German soldiers allowed to have sex with each other

Germany has introduced a new guideline allowing sex between members of its armed forces.

While sex during work hours will continue to be considered a "disruption of service operations", the new ruling is more liberal on what soldiers do during their free time.

Provided it involves two consenting adults, the new regulation permits "both heterosexual and homosexual relationships and activities", writes Bild daily.

Differences in rank are also considered no obstacle.

The new rules also apply to troops stationed in the Balkans and in Afghanistan.

They even call for commanders to use "organisationsal and other measures" to provide "room for personal development."

The new directive comes as a welcome change for the 253,000 men and 10,600 women serving in German forces.

But it still means they have to be discreet about what they do, making sure none of their activities violates their "soldier's duty to behave respectably".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,393 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Thok

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:45 am
Re: German soldiers allowed to have sex with each other
BumbleBeeBoogie's source wrote:
writes Bild daily.

not a good newspaper, because very frivolous.

As far as I know only men and women have this accreditation.

Do you have a link?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:18 am
If this is fact. They should might want to rename their living quarters from Barracks to Brothels. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:21 am
au1929 wrote:
If this is fact.

It is true and it is fact.

But:

au1929 wrote:

They should might want to rename their living quarters from Barracks to Brothels. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

But it still means they have to be discreet about what they do, making sure none of their activities violates their "soldier's duty to behave respectably".

So it is not like your description!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:59 am
Thok
That was only a tongue in cheek remark a pun if you will. However, since you mention it what are the bounds of respectability in the Barracks after hours?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:05 am
The new rule is relative ok. Anywhere freedom is necessary.
Let's wait, what the the parties involved will says.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:54 am
Thok
Thok, here's the link:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1060798.html?menu=news.quirkies.sexlife
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:03 am
I would love to hear the reaction from the religious groups. Pre-Marital sex, Homosexuality wow. Bush would be calling down the wrath of God. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:06 am
thanks for the link , BBB

au1929 wrote:
Bush would be calling down the wrath of God.

probably this should be a (bad) joke, but nevertheless:

What have Bush to do with the German Bundeswehr?
Nothing!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:10 am
Re: German soldiers allowed to have sex with each other
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Differences in rank are also considered no obstacle.

Most of it makes a lot of sense, but this one makes me a little nervous. Seems like there could be some bad power dynamics there, like with boss/employee, professor/student, etc.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:18 am
Thok

Quote:
What have Bush to do with the German Bundeswehr?

Nothing, that was just an idle thought.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
alright
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:24 am
phoenix
I think it is insanity. Discipline will go to hell. Imagine an officer trying to get into some privates pants. In addition I would imagine along with the order there should be funds for an expanded maternity ward. Embarrassed
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:10 am
Sozobe, I was going to post the same concern.

It seems to me the rules for the military should be, as much as possible, the same as any other place of employment.

My qualification is that the military is much more authoritarian and hierarchical (by necessity) than most other workplaces. An officer who has a relationship with a soldier under their command might cause real problems.

Maybe the chain of command should be the standard?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:49 am
I agree. I can see how there would be residual power issues if someone of lower rank was involved with someone of higher rank, even if they weren't within the same chain of command, but it would be the chain of command part that would really bother me. (Too easy for the higher-ranking person to exploit, too hard for the lower-ranking person to do something about it.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:51 am
Since it's already goin' on, why not take the stigma out?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:58 am
Within-the-chain-of-command affairs? I guess 'cause stigma aside I don't think it's something to be condoned within a workplace.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:59 am
(What's with the sig line? Where's here?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:02 am
Here.
Here.
It's jp's dream.
There's a thread with a June 2004 date on it. He wants to beat the previous record of people at the site.

There have been military affairs/relationships/partnerships going back decades. I grew up in a military town, with a significant U.S. presence at the military college. "Everyone" knew about the affairs - the early discharges - and the suspiciously high number of 9 pound preemies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:05 am
Again though I agree with most all of it -- the only thing I have reservations about is specifically allowing/ condoning relationships between people of different ranks, especially within the same chain of command.
0 Replies