Lost MY MSN

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:33 am
Yesterday afternoon I tried to access MSN, but got only a bright aqua window with the MSN initials on it. This does put me on the Internet, but not on My MSN. To access that I have to go to Internet Explorer and then to My MSN.

I don't like IE's layout and in particular, I dislike their version of Hotmail, and the way they show the Favorites list.

At the moment I have a jumble of My MSN for home page, including news, and stock reports, IE for Favorites and mail, and I can't access the MSN Help page that gives a choice of email, phone, or one-on-one assistance

I tried reinstalling MSN 9, but that was no help.

I know many of you dislike/disapprove of IE and MSN, but MSN is what I have, and it works well for me. Although MSN is based on IE there are differences, including the great advantage of MSN's one-on-one assistance.

So, can anyone here help me? Craven? Monger? Anyone else?

Sad Sad Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 746 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:33 pm
Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components > Enable MSN Explorer

And just out of curiosity, did you just get the SP2?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:18 pm
Lost MY MSN
Thanks, Craven; I'll try your instructions. And no, I didn't get SP2. I'm sure I will eventually, but you and others have convinced me that waiting a while is probably a Really Good Thing.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:31 pm
Lost MY MSN
OK, Craven, I tried to follow your instructions, but couldn't find an entry on the Add/Remove menu for "A/R Windows Components. The only Windows things are many, many patches, and nothing indicated how to enable MSN Explorer. Sad Sad Sad

Additional mess: I just tried removing the big aqua rectangle by right-clicking to close it; it went away, but I found myself in the middle of the MSN installation wizard for MSN 8. I got out of it, but perhaps I should have continued and let it install?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 04:59 pm
Re: Lost MY MSN
Tomkitten wrote:
OK, Craven, I tried to follow your instructions, but couldn't find an entry on the Add/Remove menu for "A/R Windows Components. The only Windows things are many, many patches, and nothing indicated how to enable MSN Explorer. Sad Sad Sad

Look to the left of the program list, not inside the program list. It should be a button to the left.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 05:40 pm
Lost MY MSN
Nope, still no go, even though I found the button. Sad Sad Confused Confused
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 05:42 pm
I should have been more explicit - MSN was enabled, that is, the box was checked . . .
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
Lost MY MSN
I'm really stumped. I have tried removing MSN9, installing MSN8, reinstalling MSN9 again, emailing MSN Help (no response), prayer and fasting. Is it possible that the problem lies in my computer rather than MSN? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 05:17 pm
Lost MY MSN
It turns out that the culprit is the EZ Armor Firewall! It's very fussy at times, so I'll have to contact them to see what setting permits the firewall to work properly while not interfering with MSN access.

Thanks again, Craven, for your help, though.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 05:20 pm
OK, now I've gone back to the Windows firewall, so I'm protected while I work on the EZ Armor problem.
0 Replies