WHAT'S IT LIKE LIVING IN RUSSIA TODAY?

SerSo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:56 am
Recent Events
Chubais, the man who sold Russia to the oligarchs, escapes assassins
Quote:

By Andrew Osborn in Moscow
The Independent, 18 March 2005

The Yeltsin-era politician, Anatoly Chubais, popularly known as the "Father of the Oligarchs", has survived a roadside assassination attempt.

Now head of the state-controlled electricity monopoly, Mr Chubais is often blamed for creating Russia's modern-day oligarchs because of his decision to place the country's fabulous wealth in the hands of just two dozen businessmen in the early 1990s.

He was on his way to work yesterday morning when his attackers struck. A powerful mine, packed with bolts and screws, exploded shortly after his armoured BMW had passed over it, forcing a second car carrying his bodyguards to halt on a quiet tree-lined avenue outside Moscow.

At least two attackers, clad in winter camouflage, opened fire on the convoy with Kalashnikov assault rifles from the roadside. Mr Chubais' bodyguards, former special forces troops, returned fire, but the attackers escaped in a stolen getaway car that was later recovered.

Russian TV showed images of Mr Chubais' car after the incident. Its windscreen was smashed, its bonnet and headlights sprayed with bullets.

Mr Chubais said afterwards that nobody was hurt and that he had "an idea" who had ordered the attempt on his life and would be co-operating with the Russian security service to catch the perpetrator.

"I need to catch him," he told a press conference he called later at the headquarters of Unified Energy System (UES), Russia's largest power firm, which he runs.

Mr Chubais, 49, said he would not be intimidated. "Everything that I have done - in reforming the country's power sector, and in uniting the country's democratic parties - I will continue doing, only with twice the strength," he vowed.

Mr Chubais is a controversial figure and is likely to have a long list of enemies. In an interview last year he revealed that he was aware of three separate contracts that had been taken out on him in a country where scores are still often settled in a hail of gunfire rather than in the courtroom.

He said at the time that the main reason people wanted to see him dead was because they thought he "had sold out Russia". In 1992 as Deputy Prime Minister in charge of privatisation in the first government of Boris Yeltsin, Mr Chubais unleashed Russia's biggest, fastest and boldest privatisation.

Within a matter of years 80 per cent of the economy was in private hands. His methods were crude. He allowed a handful of pushy, well-connected businessmen to snap up assets at auction for bargain prices in exchange for loaning the government money, promising to invest in the newly acquired assets and lending the Kremlin their political support.

Chubais argued that such methods were vital if the Communists were not to get back into power. But while he may have spawned a handful of super-rich oligarchs such as Roman Abramovich, ordinary Russians fared less well. They were given privatisation vouchers which later turned out to be worthless, and saw their living standards collapse.

As a result Chubais, who is himself worth several million dollars, became a figure of hate for the old dispossessed left.

One theory is that the attack was linked to Mr Chubais' attempts to streamline UES, a process that risks upsetting some of Russia's most powerful business interests.

Another is that it was a warning for him not to become too active in politics, an arena where he has positioned himself in staunch opposition to President Vladimir Putin.
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:00 am
Re: Recent Events
The police have declared they already have a suspect. This is some Mr.Kvachkov, 57, a retired colonel who lived next door to Mr.Chubais' country house. They say the incentive for this assassination attempt was "a personal distaste" for Mr.Chubais. Vladimir Kvachkov has been arrested because there are witnesses who claim they have remembered the car used by the attackers and the number on its plates. The car appeared to be owned by Mr.Kvachkov's spouse. A search in their apartment discovered explosives. The police also suspect Mr.Kvachkov's 30 years old son.

Vladimir Kvachkov is a 'hereditary' career officer. He served in the Soviet Chief-of-Staff's intelligence agency and used to command a SWAT brigade in Afghanistan where he was badly wounded. Subsequently he went through all the Soviet Union's 'hot spots' in the late 80's. He was awarded some military orders and many medals and retired in 1989. Then he worked as a consultant on security issues.

The Russian police always keeps me surprised with a tendency to report details and publicly accuse suspects even before an official investigation is over. I think in the 'VIP' case with Chubais it must be the Federal Bureau for Security (so-called FSB) but not the police, but they did it the same.

As to the people's attitude towards this event, though I know some folks who are fascinated with Mr.Chubais (my boss' wife for example), most recall a joke from Stalin's era: "Old marshal Budenny, a 'Red' hero of the Civil War, enters the Kremlin and hears the news about an assassination attempt on 'the great comrade Stalin'. "How did they want to kill him? "- he asks and learns that somebody tried to shoot Stalin but missed. - "He ought to have used a sabre!"

The fact of who is accused of the assault upon Chubais' armoured car makes me think of some other events. Recently a group of air cavalry officers have been fully acquitted on the charge of killing a popular journalist. During the prejudicial inquiry they all 'confessed' but in the long run the jury released them for lack of evidence labelling the 'proofs' submitted by the investigators ''a mere speculation''. I wonder if it is a kind of 'war on the military'. Another fact: some time ago the police arrested a naval officer accusing him of rendering assistance to 'Chechen terrorists'. After a while he was claimed to have died of a heart attack. Then it became clear that he had been beaten to death in a police headquarters.

Nowadays there are few so miserable men in Russia like the military. I recently fell into talk with an officer (I forgot, was he a lieutenant or a captain?) in a Metro train (I was simply going home from work and he was a bit drunk and talkative). He grumbled about his life on the whole and his derisible salary in particular, which was, as he put it, in the region of $200 a month (while an average office worker in Moscow without any specific skills gets at least twice as much). And this is for all their nomadic life, living in remote parts of the country, having inadequate accommodation, obligation to obey orders whatever they are, constant risk to be engaged in hostilities and a restricted right to resign!

P.S. Sorry, Virago, I still owe you lots of answers to your questions. Hope I can turn to them this weekend.

Just wanted to update all those interested on the news from Russia and found myself straying from the point...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:00 pm
Serso, I remember reading many years ago, maybe about ten years ago, that many in the military did not get paid by the government.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:01 pm
With the low pay for the Russian military, it was feared that those that have access to nuclear weapons will sell them to the highest bidder - to terrorist groups. Is that still a fear?
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:02 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Serso, I remember reading many years ago, maybe about ten years ago, that many in the military did not get paid by the government.

That was really that way that time. But today Russia's budget has a huge surplus, caused of great economic grow (~50% for the past 7 years) and high oil prices.
But even by now salary in the military sector is still very low indeed. And recently all they benefits were cut of as well. The goverment has a lot of money, but they do not want to rise the budget spendings. They say that today's oil prices are high and we do not want to be used to the current trends. All extra money should be transfered to the special fund that insure in the case of low oil prices.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:53 pm
Glorius, There is some excuse for being cautious about the future price of oil, but the government should also balance that caution with opportunities afforded by a surplus to improve their economy. What the correct balance is is the difficult decision, but it's not a wise move to freeze all the surplus when there is opportunity.
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 06:34 am
Quote:
P.S. Sorry, Virago, I still owe you lots of answers to your questions. Hope I can turn to them this weekend.

Just wanted to update all those interested on the news from Russia and found myself straying from the point...

SerSo, whenever you can answer is terrific. I'm also interested in the news from Russia, and I always enjoy it when you "stray from the point". Smile

Virago
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 08:14 am
Chubais is in trouble again
Chubais is in trouble again. As a head of the Unified Energy Systems he is now responsible for the power cut that has paralysed Moscow today. The events are described here:
Moscow hit by major power outage
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:39 am
Thank you, SerSo. Please let us know how things continue there.

Virago
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:54 am
[hastily translated from Dutch]

Bomb attack on Day of Russia
2005-06-13

Chechen rebels have used a national holiday in Russia for a bomb attack on the train from Moscow to Grozni. There were dozens of injured.

The explosion took place yesterday morning at about 150 miles from Moscow. The bomb crater caused the passenger train from Grozni to derail. The attack has not been claimed, but to all probability was the work of Chechen rebels. There were no deaths. Medical teams registered 42 injured, of whom eight seriously. The low speed of the train prevented worse.

The attack took place on the Day of Russia, a holiday that was initially established as Independence day, after the fall of the Soviet-Union in 1991. [..] The train connection between Moscow and the Chechen capital was reinstated last year with much ado, as proof of the stabilisation of the restive region.

[..] It is feared that the train derailment is the prelude of a 'summer offensive' of attacks in Russia. The last few years Chechen rebels have mostly been active in summer. Last year, amongst other things, two airplanes were blown up in August and hundreds of school children were taken hostage in Beslan in September.

The Russian eight o-clock news did not open with the attack, but with a festive reception at the Kremlin on the occasion of the Day of Russia. In a speech, Putin did not say a word about the explosion. He did praise the Russian constitution as "one of the most democratic in the world."

Meanwhile, two thousand demonstrators protested in Moscow against the government and Putin in front of the FSB headquarters.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:16 pm
nimh, thanks for the update.

Considering the interplay of China, Russia, US, EU and others, whom do you foresee as the dominant power in 2015?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:45 pm
Holland.

(Hi Mapleleaf!)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:45 pm
nimh, But you jest. They're just a peanut player in the world of politics and economics. Their main product is tulips. Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:31 am
Unhuh! You just wait. First we'll take over Belgium ... (thats been much overdue in any case). Then we ally ourselves with Denmark and Austria and buy the Czech Republic and then ... a four-pronged military attack will bring Germany to its knees. From there - world domination!

(Besides, everybody knows our main product isn't tulips .... Mr. Green)
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:40 am
Could any Russians here tell me whether comments like President Putin's in a recent interview about Africans ("they eat their political opponents instead of beating them at the polls") and the member of the Duma who said about the arrival of Secretary of State Rice ("can't the Americans keep their monkeys at home?") were at all commented on, or even reported, in the Russian press?

Thank you.
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:14 pm
HofT wrote:
Could any Russians here tell me whether comments like President Putin's in a recent interview about Africans ("they eat their political opponents instead of beating them at the polls") and the member of the Duma who said about the arrival of Secretary of State Rice ("can't the Americans keep their monkeys at home?") were at all commented on, or even reported, in the Russian press?

Thank you.

I am not a right person to ask if something is well covered or ignored by the Russian media because I very rarely watch TV or read newspapers (which is very typical for many Russians of my age). As to me, I only learnt about it from you, here at a2k. Quite possibly it was mentioned somewhere but it never caused any hot discussions, otherwise I would hear about it.

As for the statements you refer to, both of them are very usual examples of our political language. And I do not think it has something to do with deeply rooted racist ideology. We do not have that sort of commonly recognized political correctness that you have and what people say publicly depends only on whether they were well-bred or ill-bred and what they think they can allow themselves. Some of our politicians express themselves in such a manner that would expel them from public politics if they were in Western Europe or USA. Putin, who still seems to have received a good education, is famous (or infamous) for his 'strong language'. However many people here like it: strong language = strong man. I have to admit that in general we are a rude nation as far as our language is concerned.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:32 pm
Serso - thanks for your feedback. I have enough Russian to read mathematical papers and technical specs but anything more than the headlines in newspapers is unfortunately too taxing for my limited linguistic skills.

No fan of political correctness here, either Smile
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:42 pm
SerSo, I appreciate your sharing. It helps me understand your country.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:11 pm
nimh, "Tulips" was only symbolic of what they have in terms of "what they can successfully sell." Wink Military takeover of Germany, heh? Love to see that one - during my life time. LOL
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:53 pm
I can think of one word - cold. This is after watching the older version of Dr Zhivago.
0 Replies