WHAT'S IT LIKE LIVING IN RUSSIA TODAY?

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:21 am
How does one explain the difference in the Chinese/Russian cultures? Anotherwords, why are the Chinese able to move towards more middle class living as opposed to the Russians?
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:54 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
SerSo, Russia's total integration into the world economy is only a matter of time; it's a given for most of the world's economies no matter how isolated they may seem today.[..]

CI, I am not an advocate of isolationism. I do sincerely believe that any kind of isolation only slows down progress because it puts barriers before all useful technical and social innovations. And the history of mankind has proved it. The more communication exists between people, the more development efforts (in all fields) they receive. Moreover, it is more beneficial economically to purchase certain goods than producing them locally at a higher cost. It is true both for a person and for a whole nation.

But integration into the globalised market cannot itself cure any unhealthy economy. On the contrary it only deepens the existing problems. I wish politicians had more common sense and could see all possible consequences before implementing certain measures in the name of ideological concepts for joining somebody’s banners, no matter how attractive these banners seem to be. (e.g. Eastern Germany is not a good sample of successful integration into Western Europe. Hope the realization of the united Europe project will gain more pros than contras).

Unfortunately in the international division of labour Russia took a role of raw materials supplier and a vast market for goods of foreign made, a role where Russian professionals are not needed any more.
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:01 am
Re: WHAT'S IT LIKE LIVING IN RUSSIA TODAY?
SerSo wrote:
Quote:
If you are Russian I am happy to see anybody here from my country. I am a bit tired to carry the can and answer all questions here Smile

I am sure you are tired by now, Smile , but please know we appreciate and enjoy your posts. I've noticed that Americans have many more questions for Russians than Russians do for Americans. Still, if we can reciprocate in any way you have only to ask the question.

Thank you again,

Virago
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:27 am
Mapleleaf wrote:
How does one explain the difference in the Chinese/Russian cultures? Anotherwords, why are the Chinese able to move towards more middle class living as opposed to the Russians?

Unfortunately I am no expert in Chinese culture and therefore not able to discuss features of Chinese character. It just seems to me that they are more merchants in nature than Russians.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:51 am
Einherjar wrote:
Sort of odd really, you'd think authocratic governments, which tend to be less concerned with privacy issues than western democracies, would have more luck controlling corruption.

To fight corruption, you need transparency.
Authoritarian regimes do not go well together with transparency.

When there's little sense of accountability to an electorate, as there would be in a well-functioning democracy, there's little inclination to - be held accountable for anything.

Authoritarian regimes also lend themselves well for extensive bureaucratic apparatuses that are based on loyalty rather than efficiency or public interest. Such apparatuses, short of direct, ruthless dictatorial control over them, lend themselves especially well to corruption. Just b/c of that alone, I'd say corruption goes most rampant in states that are autocratic enough to lack any sense of democratic accountability, but 'fall short' of the kind of tyrannical rule that would make an apparatchik too scared for graft.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:55 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's true that skyscrapers can and does hide many political and economic problems, but when one sees first hand how more Chinese are able to live the "middle class" lifestyle of buying designer clothes and eating at nice restaurants, the improvements are significant. More are driving MBZs and BMWs in China, and that shows the contrast between ten years ago and today.

True, but the shadow side is developing just as rapidly. Total impoverishment of a kind of proletariat we havent seen here since the 19th century. A recent report noted that there had been hundreds (!) of spontaneous rebellions across the country in one year alone.

Rapid economic growth profiting a small middle (and emerging top) class, while foisting workers with a combination of raw capitalism's exploitation with state communism's rightlessness could make for a volatile mix. Either China is going to be very big very soon and/or it's going to collapse in a very violent chaos, at some point in time. Is my take on it.
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:41 am
Virago wrote:
SerSo wrote:
Quote:
If you are Russian I am happy to see anybody here from my country. I am a bit tired to carry the can and answer all questions here Smile

I am sure you are tired by now, Smile , but please know we appreciate and enjoy your posts. I've noticed that Americans have many more questions for Russians than Russians do for Americans. Still, if we can reciprocate in any way you have only to ask the question.

Thank you again,

Virago

Sorry, Virago, for my not answering your questions. You are asking about things that cannot be described in just a couple of phrases what makes your questions very interesting to answer. I am still going to cover some of the topics you suggested and promise to keep writing.

I do not think that Russians are generally less curious about the US than Americans towards Russia. But there are reasons for such an impression: Hollywood movies are watched all over the globe and give some concept of what life in the USA looks like while Russia keeps to be unknown to the world. (Though, I am sure, if one forms his or her judgments only from feature films this view should be too simplistic). I really appreciate your readiness to answer my queries. I am reading many threads in this forum with much interest and am happy to be able to know various facts and opinions.

I think the best way to get to know another country is to go there and live the life of the locals for at least one or two years. But this method is not very easy to realize Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:41 am
I've been mostly quiet on this thread lately, because, since SerSo is from Russia himself, he has much to say of interest to all of us, and noone is waiting for a "Besserwessi", as they call them in post-unification Germany (a "better-knower from the West"). But now I feel I have to provide a counterpoint.

Adding emphases to SerSo's post:

SerSo wrote:
As to the trend that now exists in the Russian politics, my opinion is that all democracy in Russia ended up in 1993 when Yeltsin proclaimed the parliament an outlaw though he was not entitled to dissolve it according to the constitution. [..]

What surprises me, is that the west applauded Yeltsin's actions and declared his victory to be a victory of democracy over communism. He used to be "a good guy" then. I see absolutely no difference between him and Putin who was practically nominated by Yeltsin and enjoys all those "president-does-whatever-he wants" laws, which had been pushed by Yeltsin. Both of them are neither democratic nor liberal. What made Putin to be "a bad guy" now?

I wont argue the point of Yeltsin being neither a democrat nor a liberal. After 1991 he had the opportunity to build a genuiniely democratic movement, and he didnt, preferring instead to play divide and rule with many factions, each based on personal loyalty rather than coherent ideology, and enriching "The Family" through corruption.

I do personally think, however undemocratic a move it was, that the 1993 dissolution of parliament was unavoidable. Rutskoy and Khasbulatov were creating a positively parallel state structure, and when the point came that they started having their own armed militias in the streets, something had to be done. (Not to mention Rutskoy's dangerous revanchism, which focused on restoring the Soviet Union.)

Furthermore, I cant look up details right now, but I do think there are some glaring differences between the Yeltsin era of chaos and corruption and the Putin era of tightening authoritarianism.

For example, the media. Under Yeltsin, the media were not always professional, not always independent, but they were diverse. Though Yeltsin did momentarily bolster all propaganda means for his re-election ("Ne dai Bog!"), overall the national radio and newspaper landscape offered a place for every political current.

By now, there is not a single national broadcasting media that doesn't submit to the Putin line, with independent criticism restrained to the scope of local radio (Moscow Echo). And freedom of media is, beyond the basic litmus test of free elections, widely used as "measuring stick" for a country's democratic calibre in the West.

Secondly, administrative centralisation. For better or worse, Yeltsin implemented a wide-scale decentralisation of administrative power. District governors started wielding significant powers, and those of republics like Tatarstan basically had a carte blanche for a while. Yeltsin did start the process of limiting freedom by assigning gradually more power to the governors (who were easier to control), and less to the district parliaments, but still the system had independent-minded, empowered regional authorities in place for a while.

Putin, in his turn, started by recentralising administrative power incrementally, gradually emasculating district authorities. The crown on the process was spectacularly put just last month (?), when a new law was tabled that simply makes governors appointed, rather than elected, taking the electorate out of the equation altogether.

Parliament, which as you rightly point out was already made largely powerless after '93 by Yeltsin, nevertheless provided various opposition groups with a platform to organise and voice their demands. For sure, we may not have been glad with an opposition that consisted mostly of communists and fascists, but there was pluralism and there were liberal opposition groups too (notably Yabloko).

All thats gone now. The communists have become even more toothless tigers, all the more since Putin is largely implementing their program anyway. There are all of seven liberals left in the 450-member parliament. Zhirinovsky's clownesque fascists remain easily bought off. What is left is a parliament mostly dominated by Putin's personal party, "Unity", which has little in the way of political programme except for loyalty to his leadership; and its satellite party "Fatherland", founded as a regime stooge for the nationalist communists. (It's a classic post-Soviet strategy, used in the Ukraine too: found parties with the same kind of rhetorics as the main opposition parties - a communist-like party, a nationalist-like party - but controlled by people you trust, and ultimately loyal to your Presidency). The last elections were even boycotted by Yavlinsky's liberals because they saw no way to meaningfully compete in a political and media environment that had become so unfree.

Then there's the Chechen war. The fact that Putin started it up again in full violent force, where Yeltsin had eventually reached a ceasefire status quo, perhaps in itself does not fall in the category of his democratic credentials. Democratic countries violently deal with separatist movements too - just look at Northern Ireland. But the way in which the "rewind" of the Chechen war takes place speaks volumes.

Human rights organisations have practically all been forced out of the region. International observers get practically no chance to enter, let alone independently gather information anymore. Independent media coverage from Chechnya is now practically non-existent.

It's the difference, one could argue, between "Vietnam" and "Cambodia". In Vietnam, American soldiers committed many atrocities - but they were chronicled, brought out in the open, protested against. Compare Yeltsin's Chechnya war. In Pol Pot's Cambodia, the same and much worse horrors took place - but 99% of it noone even found out about until years later, since they'd been committed sealed in the secrecy of regime control. I'm not saying Chechnya equates with Pol Pot's Cambodia - but thats the difference between Yeltsin's war there and Putins war.

And yes, then there is the economic recentralisation. Of course we are aware that Khodorkovsky was a corrupted crook, like most all of the oligarchs that took over the reins of the Russian private economy in the 90s. And so its easy to imagine the public sympathy for Putin's clampdown on them.

But it's not a clampdown in the name of transparency, fairness or anti-corruption. Oligarchs who are loyal to Putin, no matter how fraudulent their past (or present, for that matter), can sleep safely, their business interests will not be harmed - let alone their personal safety. Its the odd oligarch that dared still fund an opposition newspaper or TV station, that dared still agitate against Putin's personal power, who is clamped down on, threatened with prison sentences. Whose businesses are basically, and rather unceremoniously, dispossessed by the state, if not one way (directly), then another (by having an obscure, never-heard-of-before, office-less "Baikal" company suddenly buy much of his entire conglomerate).

All the above is by heart, hence no stats or data. But I'd say just a simple run-down like this already shows clearly why one can see a distinct difference between the Yeltsin and Putin regimes even when one does fully acknowledge that Yeltsin was hardly a democrat either.

While under Yeltsin, Russia was hurtling forward into a corrupt, chaotic, unjust future without much vision whatsoever, Russia now is on a dangerous, and seemingly all too pre-planned track back into the past. I find that more scary, as do many here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 02:47 pm
nimh, Well written and thought out post. Thanks for sharing it with us.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:08 pm
nimh wrote:
Whose businesses are basically, and rather unceremoniously, dispossessed by the state, if not one way (directly), then another (by having an obscure, never-heard-of-before, office-less "Baikal" company suddenly buy much of his entire conglomerate).

I've read this before, but I still don't get how anyone can buy up a conglomerate without equipping the conglomerate owner with funds to buy a new one. I find it hard to comprehend that a conglomerate could even be bought without the consent of its owners.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 04:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
nimh, Well written and thought out post. Thanks for sharing it with us.

CI., I agree. Very readable. I would recommend it to newcomers.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 04:54 pm
Einherjar wrote:
I still don't get how anyone can buy up a conglomerate without equipping the conglomerate owner with funds to buy a new one. I find it hard to comprehend that a conglomerate could even be bought without the consent of its owners.

S far as I understand (but I'm notoriously weak on economic / business news), (most of) Yukos was sold last week, against the will of owner Khodorkovsky, at about 70% of the estimated value (but for still a good nine billion USD or so), to a surprise buyer called "Baikal".

It's a company noone ever heard of before, which did not enter into any previous transaction like this, and formally resides in the provincial town of (if memory serves me right) Tver. The enterprising journalists who went to look it up out there found a supermarket at the address; phone calls were not returned. It was assumed to be a, how would you call that, "trojan horse" for Gazprom, the (Putin-loyal) enterprise that has had its eye on Yukos for a long time. A Google News search on Baikal and Yukos should bring up lots.

<tries it out>

OK, seems that by now, as the Financial Times reports today - surprise, surprise - "Russian state oil firm Rosneft has bought a 100 per cent stake in the Baikal Finance Group from its owners, acquiring a 76.6 per cent stake in Yuganskneftegaz [..], the key asset of stricken Russian oil firm Yukos".

As for the how all of that is possible, as said - I'm notoriously weak on business news (as well as on legal affairs) - so perhaps Timber can help us out here, or something, instead ...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:16 pm
More info here.
Previously unknown Baikal gets Yukos
Baikal Finance Group wins bidding for Russian gas company after auction goes ahead.
December 19, 2004: 1:43 PM EST

MOSCOW, Dec 19 (Reuters) - Baikal Finance Group, an unknown company, won an auction for Russian oil company's Yukos's core asset on Sunday with a $9.4 billion bid and analysts said whomever was behind the bid enjoyed Kremlin favor.

Gazprom which had been favored to win but was outbid, declared it had no links to Baikal. Analysts still believed the state-controlled gas giant or other state interests may have had a hand in the winning bid for Yuganskneftegaz.

Yukos is widely seen by analysts as the victim of a Kremlin campaign to crush its politically ambitious owner, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, and seize control of strategic sectors of the economy sold off in the chaotic privatizations of the 1990s.

Khodorkovsky is now on trial for fraud and tax evasion and faces 10 years in jail if convicted.

Baikal, named after a huge Siberian freshwater lake in the heartland of Russia's oil industry, bid 260.75 billion rubles ($9.4 billion) for Yuganskneftegaz, said the sale's organizer, the Federal Property Fund.

Under Russian law the government can order a new auction or seize Yugansk in lieu of unpaid taxes if Baikal fails to pay the full amount it has bid within 14 days.

The sale of Yuganskneftegaz, which pumps more oil than OPEC member Qatar, went ahead despite a U.S. court order barring Gazprom and its foreign bankers from bidding, pending further proceedings in Yukos's application for U.S. Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Baikal, which was not one of three originally registered bidders including Gazprom, may have been a hastily assembled vehicle allowing Russian state interests to get around the U.S. court order, one analyst said.

"The political signal from the government on Friday was they would go ahead and they have found a way to go ahead that minimizes legal risk," said Chris Granville, a strategist for investment bank UFG.

"There were three registered bidders and all three were named in the restraining order. Now the surprise is that a new entity emerges. The Russian state was not named in the restraining order nor was this entity," he added.

Russian news agency Itar-Tass said one of its reporters had checked the address given by Baikal in the town of Tver, 200 km (125 miles) outside Moscow, and had found a building housing a mobile phone shop and a food store.

"I see no plausible explanation for the theory that Baikal was representing competing interests," said Paul Collison, a strategist with UBS in Moscow. He added that Yugansk was likely to end up with Gazprom or directly in the state's hands.

Gazprom had put in an opening offer for 76.79 percent of Yugansk representing 100 percent of voting interests at the minimum sale price of 246.8 billion rubles ($8.87 billion) but withdrew after Baikal made the winning bid.

The auction was ordered to raise funds to help pay Yukos's $27.5 billion back-tax bill, the result of a relentless assault by the authorities which analysts say is aimed at breaking up the company.

It leaves Yukos stripped of its main asset, which pumps about 1 million barrels of oil a day. The company may file for liquidation to protect its remaining assets from forced sale.

"$9 BILLION HEADACHE"

A Yukos spokesman said on Sunday that whoever was behind the winning bid would be pursued through the law courts.

"The company (Yukos) considers that the victor of today's auction has bought itself a serious $9 billion-dollar headache," Yukos spokesman Alexander Shadrin said.

"Those who stand behind the winner ... have subjected their business to considerable legal risks. We declare that the sale of Yugansk is illegal," he told Reuters.

Before the auction, lawyers for Menatep, a group through which Khodorkovsky and his associates control Yukos, pledged to extend their fight against the sell-off to other countries.

They told a news conference in Moscow they would seek injunctions in foreign courts seizing Russian oil and gas exports.

Menatep head Tim Osborne said after the auction that Yugansk's new owners were "on notice that this is an illegal expropriation and I'm sure we'll be in touch with them."

Yukos's troubles have already helped push oil prices to peak levels over the past few months and concerns over supplies from the world's second-biggest oil exporter could grow after Sunday's threat of legal action from Menatep's lawyers.

Investor confidence shaken
The assault on Yukos has also shaken investment confidence in President Vladimir Putin's Russia, where the economy is showing signs of slowing despite high oil prices.

The U.S. bankruptcy action appeared to have sunk plans for the already heavily indebted Gazprom to get funding for its bid from a consortium including Deutsche Bank and JP Morgan.

Gazprom, the world's largest natural gas company is at the center of plans to create a huge state energy holding company, but the fact that it supplies a quarter of Europe's gas makes it vulnerable to international court rulings.
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:43 pm
Hi, I am back to Moscow, my translation of year-end schedules to be submitted to the company head office in London is over, so I hope I can resume posting to A2K Smile In late December I took a short leave and my wife and myself went to her home city of Saratov to pass there the New Year and Christmas holidays with her father and aunt. BTW, in case you do not know, here in Russia we celebrate Christmas on January 7 because the Russian Orthodox Church still uses the old Julian calendar instead of the modern Gregorian style.

I still owe a number of answers to Virago and Nimh has touched upon an important and interesting subject. I am willing to share my opinion on it in my next posts. Here I just would like to share some of my impressions from our trip.

Though Saratov is a big city with a population of around 1 mln. people, unlike Moscow it does not look like a big megalopolis at all. The very pace of life seems slower. When I was back home I noticed that in Moscow the speed of cars was noticeably higher and even pedestrians moved visibly quicker. Moscow's crazy tempo of living is in fact a price we here have to pay for the opportunities the capital can offer (better jobs etc).

I noticed that since my previous visit there appeared a lot of construction sites downtown Saratov. People keep saying that a half of the city has been "bought up" by "muscovites" as well as some riverbank strips and islands on Volga (I am a muscovite, so where is my share?), and these areas are very likely to become closed areas where locals will be no longer allowed. Interrelationships between Moscow and other Russian territories are really a very specific subject. On the one hand, for example, when I was going there I had doubts for some reason whether it would be possible in Saratov to withdraw money from my bank card, and in reality there were ATM's on almost every corner. A very typical muscovite's attitude that civilization ends up on Moscow boundaries... On the other hand, Moscow inhabitants are viewed by many Russians as bad-mannered snoots who have much money, always think they know everything better, and always make the whole country to work for Moscow. Once we were told that Russia is at war and the border of Moscow is the frontline, though this statement never prevented those people from being very hospitable to us.

Russia has always been a multi-ethnic nation. Though Tatars constitute a significant portion of the region's population (like in most areas along Volga river) and the regional governor is an ethnic Tatar, one cannot hear their language in the streets of the city very often. My father-in-law says that he personally knows some Tatars who do not speak their language.

In Saratov one can also feel the huge wave of immigration from the South. I have not noticed immigrants from the Ukraine or Moldavia, who are rather numerous in the capital. Most petty shopkeepers (like in Moscow) and drivers of public transport (unlike Moscow) are from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Dagestan and other Caucasian regions of the former Soviet Union and the present-day Russia. The locals are a bit suspicious of them (because of the threat of crime, terrorism etc.) but I never heard of any serious conflicts there. In the capital they are able to earn more but also have to spend more and face cruelty from both the police and the "skinheads". Saratov seems to be somewhat friendlier to the newcomers.

Here are some views of the city:

http://www.saratov.ru/gallery/normal/048.jpg
Saratov conservatoire

http://www.saratov.ru/gallery/normal/023.jpg
"Soothe My Sadnesses" church, where my wife and I were baptized in 2002.

http://www.saratov.ru/gallery/normal/074.jpg
A bridge across Volga river

http://www.saratov.ru/gallery/normal/008.jpg
New 10-th block of Saratov university

http://www.saratov.ru/gallery/normal/083.jpg
View of the city from the river: riverside station and "Slovakia" hotel
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 08:51 pm
Welcome back, SerSo. I hope you enjoyed your visit with your wife's family and your New Year! So, now you are fully rested and are prepared to spend all your free time answering an onslaught of questions? Just kidding, just kidding.

Thank you for sharing your impression of your trip with us. I completely enjoyed reading it, especially the parts about differences in people.

Quote:
A very typical muscovite's attitude that civilization ends up on Moscow boundaries... On the other hand, Moscow inhabitants are viewed by many Russians as bad-mannered snoots...
Laughing

And this:

Quote:
The locals are a bit suspicious of them (because of the threat of crime, terrorism etc.) but I never heard of any serious conflicts there. In the capital they are able to earn more but also have to spend more and face cruelty from both the police and the "skinheads". Saratov seems to be somewhat friendlier to the newcomers.

Interesting...

The pictures are absolutely excellent. Thanks for taking the time to post them!

Virago
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:19 pm
Re: Russian Police
This scandalous story has recently received extensive coverage in the Russian media. This can be a sort of answer to the question earlier on this thread about Russian police. I think the problem with the police here is not so much than corruption as abuse and impunity, and it is especially true for the riot police subdivision who always behave in the streets like foreign invaders.

Quote:

Russian authorities have launched an inquiry into a police operation, during which hundreds of young men were allegedly detained and beaten.
The "preventive" operation in Blagoveshchensk took place on 10 December, but details are only just starting to emerge.
The authorities are playing down the scale of the alleged abuses.
But human rights activists say riot police swarmed the town and began arresting men aged between 15 and 30.
More than 1,000 men, in a town with a population of 30,000, were reportedly taken to police stations, where many were beaten and humiliated.
Police spokesmen say the number of detained in what they describe as a "crime prevention operation" was "only 381".

'Mopping-up'
The events prompted the Bashkortostan autonomy, where the town is located, to set up a public human rights council.
Similar operations are reported to have taken place in at least one adjacent village where police arrested all the men present at a local disco.
Local hospitals are said to have dealt with hundreds of people with various injuries after the Blahoveshchensk incident.
The authorities say 35 people have officially complained against the way they were treated by the police.
Police said the clampdown, which Russian observers now compare to the infamous "mopping-up" operations in Chechnya, was prompted by an incident when police officers were allegedly beaten by local businessmen.
The businessmen told the Izvestia newspaper they were beaten by the police.

Rights record
On Tuesday, the Bashkir prosecutor's office launched an investigation into the conduct of the police operation.
On the same day, the newly-created public council for human rights held its first session in the Bashkir capital, Ufa, to discuss the Blagoveshchensk events.
But although the council included human rights activists, Russian newspapers note that a Bashkir deputy interior minister was appointed its head.
Bashkortostan, a predominantly Muslim autonomy in the Volga-Urals region of Russia, has a poor human rights record, even by Russian standards.
But police abuses are widespread across the country. Human Rights Watch reported last year on the "massive and systematic" use of torture by police in Russia.
Travel guides warn tourists travelling to Russia that they are more likely to get mugged or beaten by policemen than by ordinary criminals.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/4168565.stm

Published: 2005/01/12 16:52:17 GMT

© BBC MMV

Source:
Russia town shaken by police raid
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 12:09 pm
SerSo, thanks for the article.

Quote:
But police abuses are widespread across the country. Human Rights Watch reported last year on the "massive and systematic" use of torture by police in Russia.
Travel guides warn tourists travelling to Russia that they are more likely to get mugged or beaten by policemen than by ordinary criminals.

So, a citizen would likely not call the police if they were mugged or beaten by another citizen? If they did call, would the police expect the victim to offer them money? What about more serious crimes such as child abuse or child abduction? Domestic violence?

Virago
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:22 pm
Quote:
Anti-Semitism alarms Russian Jews

By Steve Rosenberg
BBC News, Moscow

A Moscow synagogue echoes to the sound of morning worship.
Cocooned in black and white prayer shawls, the 300-strong congregation sways to the rhythm of Jewish prayer.

In Soviet times, Jews caught coming to synagogue risked losing their jobs or being expelled from university, such was the level of state-sponsored anti-Semitism.

Today, Russian Jews enjoy freedom of worship - but they are worried by what they see as a new wave of anti-Jewish sentiment emanating from the Duma, the lower house of the Russian parliament.

Last month, 19 members of the Duma threw their support behind a letter to the country's prosecutor general.

Claiming that a centuries-old Hebrew text incites violence, the letter compared Judaism to Satanism and accused Jews of ritual murder. It also called for all Jewish organisations in Russia to be investigated and banned.

"This is inciting anti-Semitism, it's against the law and these people should be banned from parliament," Russia's Chief Rabbi, Berl Lazar told me.

"The idea that even one member of parliament could sign a letter trying to expel the Jewish community completely from Russia, this is unheard of. Especially in recent years when, in general, we've felt that anti-Semitism from government officials has almost died out."

Public support

The Russian Jewish Congress says it is seeking legal advice and plans to take the MPs to court. But the parliamentarians are unrepentant. They've withdrawn the letter for now, but Communist MP Sergei Sobko says it will be re-drafted and re-submitted.

"Do they really think that by taking us to court the whole country will suddenly stop being anti-Semitic?" Mr Sobko said. "When our voters find out that their members of parliament are being threatened like this, the situation will grow worse."

Anti-Semitism has deep roots in Russia. Under the tsar, Jewish people were banned from living in huge swathes of the Russian empire. Anti-Semitism remained a government policy in the Soviet Union.

More recently, Russia's Jewish community has been enjoying a renaissance - with new freedoms, new schools and new synagogues opening up across the country.

President Vladimir Putin himself attended the opening of a Jewish community centre in Moscow four and a half years ago.

But anti-Jewish feelings remain widespread. When one of the MPs who signed the letter appeared on TV and blamed all of Russia's problems on the Jews, more than half of the 100,000 viewers who called in agreed with him.

Embarrassingly for Mr Putin, the letter appeared just days before his recent visit to Auschwitz, marking the 60th anniversary of the concentration camp's liberation. There, Mr Putin expressed his shame at anti-Semitism.

Scapegoat

But Tankred Golenpolsky, editor of Russia's Jewish Gazette, believes words aren't sufficient.

"Mr President, standing in front of the burial places in Auschwitz you said you were ashamed. Are you as ashamed today so as to get those members of the parliament who signed that Nazi letter out of the parliament?" [..]
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
Quote:
In Soviet times, Jews caught coming to synagogue risked losing their jobs or being expelled from university, such was the level of state-sponsored anti-Semitism.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 02:56 pm
SerSo, Excellent posts and pictures. Thank you. As for your quote, "Unfortunately there is a bad tradition in Russia, mostly among uneducated people, to blame Jews for all major economic problems, instead of analysing what is really happening and why." This happens to be a world-wide problem where the populace do not bother with education or to learn what is really happening and why. My criticism of US citizens is the same as your criticism of Russian citizens. Most do not go beyond what their politicans say, and accept them to be all true and wise. Please continue to post your opinions, your observations, and pictures of your country. I look forward to more of your posts. btw, I have visited Russia once on a boat cruise on the Volga from Moscow to St Petersburg. It was some years ago, so I'm sure there are many changes now. Maybe some time in the next few years, I'll be able to visit Russia again.
0 Replies