Emancipation, Other topics also

arcvile

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:48 pm
Hey all.

I am 16 years old, a Male. My girlfriend and I have a child on the way, and I am trying to do everything I can to support her and our soon to be child.
My parents will not allow me to move in with her and her mother, although this is the best situation, and everyone around me agrees (including other adults). My dad is overseas for 12-14 months serving the Army.
I am about to be making about 700-800$ a month, and am going to fully support my child. I want to do everything I can to be with my baby and the baby's mother. My parents won't allow me to do so, although I feel that I can no longer be under their control, as I am about to have a child to parent myself. Her mother will allow me to live there, as long as I help out with cleaning, utilities,etc. I feel the best thing for me to do is get out of my home. My parents both have extreme gambling issues, and my dad (although overseas) has had a history of gambling problems. I know it sounds like every other teenager's problems, but I feel my situation is a bit different, as I am about to be a Father.
Any advice on emancipation??
Next subject. My parents are Still currently involved in a bankruptcy. They filed 4-5 years ago, but it lasts for 7 years. The reason they went bankrupt in the first place is because of their gambling problems. Now, they gamble the same amount, and I am sure this violates their bankruptcies policy. I need to know if there is anything I can do to let their lawyors know they are still gambling and etc. I don't think they should get away with it, when it's the reason my family is so broke and never have money and had to file in the first place. Now we still have no money because of their gambling problems.
Thank you all for any advice given here.
Regards,
Kenneth
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 989 • Replies: 10
No top replies

apmom1266

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:25 am
I'm afraid that, as a minor male, you don't have any option other than to take this matter to court. However, even if you are successful, this can cause a rift between you and your parents.
Check with your nearest state university on how to contact legal aid in your area, to find out if suing for emancipation is feasible.
Since you won't be earning much until you've finished your education, you will need to make sure your girlfriend's mother really wants you in her home. Hopefully, you and your girlfriend will abstain until your ready for another child. If you and she really don't think you can abstain, then please do everything in your power to prevent another pregnancy for a few more years. Use condoms EVERY time, soak in a hot(as hot as you can stand it) bath every night until the water starts to cool(at least 30mins), encourage your girlfriend to breastfeed, and both of you become very familiar with her menstrual cycle. She might even try to get on a birth control that is conducive to breastfeeding.
You may think $700-$800 a month is a lot, but it isn't. Have you taken into account how much will be withheld in taxes, as well as the fact that there are certain child-labor laws; your work hours will be limited. Do not be too proud to take advantage of any assistance programs that you and your girlfriend may be eligible for. A great deal of the financial burden would be on your girlfriend's parent(s). So, work real hard on getting a good education. A college education is probably the best, but some people just aren't suited to that. If you aren't suited to college then complete a vo-tech program. Skilled laborers make a great deal more than unskilled laborers. To eventually have a place of your own, you will need to make at least $2000 a month just to scratch by. There are ways to cut those costs, but it's not easy and young people often find those ways to be too much trouble. So, PLEASE, don't sacrifice your education to work a few hard hours in a dead-end job; do work to help with the costs that having a child creates, but make your education a priority.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:23 am
I'll add a few things.
1) If you and your girlfriend really want to prevent another pregnancy, the most likely way to do that is for her to take birth control pills. They are more effective than just about anything, though not 100% effective. Used in conjunction with a condom, they are very close to being a complete prevention of pregnancy, plus you have the added bonus of protection against STDs.

2) You need not use your local state university as a go-between to getting legal aid. Instead, just look it up in the phone book. It'll most likely be listed with other government services. Or dial 411. Really, Legal Aid isn't hidden in some basement somewhere - they want to be found and utilized by someone such as yourself.

3) The idea of going to college is a good one (truly, you should try to do this, if it's at all possible, as it will make an enormous difference - to the tune of a good million [yes, I wrote million] dollars over the course of your working life), as is the fact that you just aren't going to be making the huge amount of money that you think you will. The best thing to do, in order to determine how much the cost of living really is in your area, is to grab the local paper or go online and look at apartment costs. What does $500/month get you? What about $1000/month? $2000/month?

Also, look at the prices in the grocery store the next time you go. Not every child and mother can breast-feed, so what's the cost of formula? And diapers? What about basics like milk, bread and eggs? Consider, every time you eat a meal, what went into that meal. A very simple meal of hot dogs and fries means buying hot dogs, rolls, mustard, potatoes and possibly relish. So you can start to see what things are really going to cost you, and I'm just talking about the barest of necessities. Your budget might not leave you room for things like clothes, sodas or going to the movies.

4) You will also really need to know if it's going to be all right to live with your girlfriend's mother. And make sure that you all get along, because it's going to be the four of you under one roof and it will be hellish if you don't get along. So you need to make sure that this will really happen, and you'll need to do your part to make sure that things stay harmonious. That means taking out the trash and cutting the lawn and helping with the baby and doing whatever it takes to show that you are an active and participating member of that household. Don't just leave the childcare issues to your girlfriend and her mother. Do whatever you can to not be a burden. Offer to pay for what you can afford.

5) Emancipation probably is the way to go, simply because you are going to be making money and need to protect it from your folks. That's beyond the reason that you've already posited, to be with your girlfriend and baby. I do suggest that you explore it, but I also suggest that you speak with your parents and see if there is any way to work with them on this. If they didn't allow you to move in with your girlfriend last week, maybe they will this week. I don't mean to suggest that you become a pest; rather, I'm suggesting that you try to get what you need (to be with your girlfriend and baby, and to have enough money to care for your child as well as you possibly can) while doing as little damage as possible to your relationship with your folks. You should, at least, make an effort.

Finally, 6) the idea of contacting your parents' lawyer about their continuing spending may or may not be a great idea. Yes, you can - you can just pick up the phone and call this person if you wish. But what will that really help? I mean, it sounds like your folks need an intervention, not to have their bankruptcy protection yanked out from under them.
0 Replies

arcvile

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:32 am
This may make me sound like a bad person, bad child, or something else, but I do honestly do not care if this causes a rift between my paretns and myself. They have made my life hell for as long as I can remember, because of their gambling problems and my father drinking and everything else.

I am aware of birth control, and we DEFINITELY will use it in the future. She had recently gotten on birth control, but it obviously did not take effect in her system yet, because she got pregnant.

We are already looking for government aid, as she is on WIC and will be until our child is 5. This helps with formula, eggs, juice, etc. I am not aware of any other aid I can receive... any comments on what types of aid there are, aid i should be looking for??

My parents absolutely Will Not change their minds about this subject. My mother got pregnant at 15, and my dad was 23 at that time. So I figured that she would be a little bit more lenient about the issues at hand.

While over at my girlfriend's house, I currently help do dishes, take out the trash, cook sometimes, etc. She knows I am helpful and responsible. I also made the agreement that after work, I will take care of my baby so that my girlfriend can get a break for a few hours, as she will be doing it most of the day.

I am skilled with computers, and hope to further advance those skills in the future. I am 16 and already have my A+ and N+ certifications. I have plans on attending either a community college at night, or a Technical School in the future.
0 Replies

apmom1266

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:29 pm
Wow, it sounds as if you really are on the ball, and you seem very mature.
Ok, WIC is good; as you know your girlfriend gets eggs, milk, juice, and cereal. Your child will get the same as long as s/he is eligible. Howver, it's not likely that the child will be on it until s/he is 5yrs old, unless s/he isn't thriving; for my son it stopped when he was 3yrs old, but then he was quite a healthy little chunk. Your girlfriend will stop being on it when she either gives birth or stops breastfeeding. It's true that a very small percentage mothers can't lactate, and a small percentage of babies cannot tolerate certain components of mother's milk; but if a baby cannot tolerate mother's milk they won't be able to tolerate regular formulas(milk-based or soy-based), and those elemental formulas cost a great deal more.
When you are both ready for college or tech school you should check to see if you're eligible for financial aid; as minor neither of you may be, but when you reach 18 you should be if you're income falls below a certain amount.
How about medical insurance? Is your girlfriend covered by her parent's plan? Or does she qualify for state insurance?
As someone pointed out legal aid should be listed in your phone book. Unfortunately, in some areas it's not. My phone book has no mention of legal aid services, but there are tons of attournies, and a huge percentage of those are injury lawyers. I merely mentioned the state university because it's the quickest and simplest way; their legal department will likely have a webpage and an email address to contact someone.
I'm so sorry that you've got such problems with your parents, it's too bad they didn't seem to think it worth their time to provide a better example. Mine didn't either, but I still look on their terribly parenting as a positive lesson; on how not to be a parent. Still, eventually, your parents may be good grandparents; mine are.
On emancipation. Work together with your girlfriend on a budget, including all possible expenses. Put in writing exactly why you think you should be emancipated. Even if you can't get emancipated, look into finding a way to keep your money away from your parents; as long as they have custody of you they are required to provide you with all your needs, so some of your money should go to the care of your child, and if any is left over you should put it directly into a savings account.
Do you and your girlfriend have any plans on marriage? At this point in you and your girlfriends lives, I really don't see any benefit to marriage. For religious people it may be the moral thing to do, but there are more financial benefits for your child if you don't get married. It would also make getting financial aid for college for your girlfriend a bit easier if you aren't married. But this is a decision that you two will have to make.
It sounds like you are doing great, and it's wonderful that you have those good IT skills. I think a job in the IT field would be excellent while you're pursuing your education. Have you begun work on a resumé? Have you learned how to write a cover letter? These are also important skills in getting a job, and don't take long to learn. Keep up the good work, read a lot about pregnancy and parenting, and you'll do fine.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:39 pm
Check the Blue Pages in your telephone book. There are many categories of help available. Legal Aid is probably there as well as many other useful Social Services.
0 Replies

arcvile

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:55 pm
If I cannot be emancipated, I have wondered about the possibilities of being considered a legal adult, if I am raising a child and paying to help the baby.
My girlfriend is fully covered for insurance, so there are no payments for the OB appointments, nor the child's birth.
Pretty soon here, I am going to go and apply for my emancipation through the city court. I am just making sure that I keep a job for long enough to prove that I am responsible and have no plans on quitting, or becoming a deadbeat father. I am going to write up a budget on my expenses for food, clothes, child's needs, car insurance, and the payments i will make to my girlfriend's mother for utilities and such. Then I am going to write a statement explaining my parent's gambling habits, and their effects on my life and my child's life. I will not be able to pay for my needs and child's needs, if my parents still act the same. I am also going to discuss why I feel that emancipation will be better for my life, and my child's life. I do not feel I can be under my parents control any longer, as I am about to parent a child myself. They are too crazy and money hungry for me to give my baby the life that he so deserves, the life I know I did not get because of my parents screw-ups.
I will be looking for a job in the IT field after I receive a few more certifications, as IT jobs pay pretty good and I am skilled enough to do do good at a job working with computers.

Also - What is "legal aid"? Meaning government funding, or legal meaning lawyers and such? I don't think I would qualift for any government funding, but then again, I do not know what types of funding there are and what I could get.

Regards,
Kenneth
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:01 pm
Kenneth, you're doing fine. Very responsible and mature.

Legal aid is free legal services from real-life lawyers. It is a government-run service and if you are qualifying for WIC and the like then you are going to also qualify for free legal services. It'll help you a great deal if you have professional help towards getting yourself emancipated.

I'm sorry things have gotten so bad with your parents but it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and are willing to work towards doing what's right.

As for IT work, consider posting your resume on www.monster.com as it is free and will be a small step towards finding a job that can be done while you are busy with other things.

And, as for college, it's highly likely that you will qualify for some sort of financial assistance. Shop around and ask questions. It will be easiest if you stay as local as possible. Since you already have some certifications, it's obvious that you're serious about computers, I assume as a career. So that will help you to get into a school and to be able to pitch your case for getting as complete a scholarship as possible. Colleges generally love helping out people with interesting backgrounds who have the drive to succed. You seem to fit the bill rather nicely. While you're finishing HS, grab some brochures for local schools and speak with your guidance counselor who should be able to help you work on getting an aid package.
0 Replies

arcvile

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 07:48 pm
My mom is also keeping me from going to OB appointments with my girlfriend. Tommorrow is the first day we will get to hear our baby's heartbeat and ultrasound and everything, and my mom will not let me go... I am wondering if she can call the cops and tell them I am at a doctors appointment... she is threatening to put me in Juve. for going to t.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:22 pm
Your mother can certainly call the police and say that you are disregarding her wishes. She can call the police about anything that she chooses.

I sincerely doubt that the cops would consider meeting your pregnant girlfriend for her OB appointment in daylight hours as dangerous to you or to society.

From your description of your home life, you and your parents are informally estranged and a meeting of the minds does not seem to be possible.

I suggest you follow your conscience.
0 Replies

apmom1266

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:26 pm
I agree with Noddy, follow your conscience. This first heartbeat is just one of the wonderful milestones that you will want to witness as a parent. She may be able to call the police, but it's doubtful that they're going to take the time to go pick you up at a dr's office; not when they've got real criminals to arrest. She may be able to try to put you in juvenile hall, but that would mean you get your day in court, and I think a judge would laugh her out of the courtroom. Especially, if you have somewhere else that you can live. Also, I think if you end up in court, you are supposed to get an attourney that represents you provided by the legal system. You could also ask for a guardian ad litem.
Good luck, and enjoy that first heartbeat; it really is so special.
0 Replies