InfraBlue

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 02:37 am
Great post, Loislane.

Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:38 am
Thanks, Infrablue!

I signed up initially a couple of years ago and then got swamped in preparing a festival, dealing with a producing partner who embezzled $$ from us, and a host of other equally unpleasant and pleasant items.
Now that I'm breathing on a regular basis, I see what Osso, bree et al were all raving about!
It's great to be here!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:27 pm
Hey, loislane, thanks for the info about the italian cinema classes. Sounds interesting! I will check into that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:42 pm
Yes, welcome back loislane -- we missed your adept commentary. Have fun! (Good list).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:33 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Has anyone seen "We All Loved Each Other So Much"? It is a great story about four friends and contains homages to De Sica and Fellini. It was made in 1975 and starred Vittorio Gassman and Stefania Sandrelli.

Reviving this thread. That was one of my favorite movies, and I have a videotape of it, yea....

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for a movie just about no one liked, but I did...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:39 pm
Also, amusing to me how my last post before this recent one was totally ignored.

Foo.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
Has anyone seen "We All Loved Each Other So Much"? It is a great story about four friends and contains homages to De Sica and Fellini. It was made in 1975 and starred Vittorio Gassman and Stefania Sandrelli.

Reviving this thread. That was one of my favorite movies, and I have a videotape of it, yea....

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for a movie just about no one liked, but I did...

Thanks, osso. That was my very first post on A2K. At the time (November 2004), I was reading only the film forum, looking for answers to trivia questions. I decided to become an A2K member and participate in discussions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:33 pm
Hey, Wandel, well, we have a movie in common and now friends in common, and have met at the whatsis cafe. Was that an Au Bon Pain or not, I forget.

Yeaaaaaaah, for your first post.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:37 pm
Wandeljw, I was going to offer you my copy, but right now all I can find is Three Brothers, Besieged, and Love & Anarchy. Wish I had a vcr to dvd machine. Oh well.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:46 pm
Thanks, osso. "We All Loved Each Other So Much" sometimes shows up on PBS stations. It is one of those movies where the characters seem like people I actually know.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:59 pm
loislane17 wrote:
Ciao. Loislane17 weighing in on the films and best and favorite.

I always think of cinema in several categories: Films (great works of art); movies (good shows, scripts and/or characters but maybe not all those things together) and flicks--purely fun entertainment that may just scare me or make me smile. I love them all for what they give me, even if those reactions are different. Of course I react differently to "great art" than a fun film, but both may make me happy and want to see them again and I hold both comfortably as favorites.

So, for my favorites--well many were mentioned here; I too am "guilty" of enjoying We all Loved Each Other. Also: The Leopard (the new dvd is awesome), Finzi-Contini, Christ Stopped @ Eboli, Riso Amaro, Malena, Night of the Shooting Stars, Roma: Citta' Aperta, Bicycle Thief, Mediterraneo, Rocco & his Brothers, I Vitelloni, La Strada, Amarcord, La Dolce Vita, Nights of Cabiria (maybe my favorite of the Maestro); I just saw and adored the whacky And the Ship Sails On by Fellini.

And what about the brilliant caper flick poking fun of the French film Rififi: Big Deal on Madonna Street (I Soliti Ignoti). Hilarious. I think it was remade with an American cast as Welcome to Collinwood--just because I saw the last 10 minutes of it and it was the same!

For newer ones, I like Nanni Moretti, so I enjoyed Caro Diario, especially the last segment on the health system. I haven't seen La Stanza del Figlio, but I think it's supposed to be excellent.

Of the Benigni, La Vita e' Bella and Johnny Stecchino are my favorites. The former partly because I spent some time in Arezzo, where the early part of the film takes place.

If I were guilty, it would probably be that I adored the sweet and oddball romantic comedy of Pane e Tulipani, Bread and Tulips. And I've seem some amazing animated films that unfortunately I can't recall the name of...

Kickycan, Italingua, my favorite Italian language school here in SF had a class on Italian films in English taught by a Roman filmmaker. I'll bet you might be able to track down a similar thing in New York! Check the Italian cultural centers and maybe you can find something similar.

Good viewing.

LoisLane is so sharp I can hardly bear to argue. Well, there was one point I could pick on in the last set of paragraphs, but basically she knows much more than I do.

I don't really give a **** about what folks through the ages have said about various movies, especially if the folks are recent - well, that's not true, I would like to see the varying views. But first I'd rather react myself. Then see what people had to say. Then to deal with it all.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 06:56 pm
Happiest of cinematic New Years!
Osso, Wandeljw. kickycan & Lightwizard! Good to see you all here!

I chose the end of the year to finally straggle back to a2k and I see one of my favorite topics being revived!

It's exciting that so many Italian movies are being manufactured into DVD form in our region! Noshame has a host of films to their credit--many of the classic Italian films. Also, many new films are just being turned into Region 1 dvds. La Meglio Gioventu has been released, so we're girding our proverbial loins to take in all 6 hours tomorrow!

Happiest of New Year's and Peace on Earth!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:13 pm
Ai, chihuahua, good to see Loislane.

I'm way behind, don't even get netflix, but listening.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:38 pm
Happy New Year
HEY, Osso--where the heck are you these days? Good to be back in the a2k world!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:15 pm
Happy New Year to you too, loislane. Great to see you again!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:24 pm
Loislane, I moved to Albuquerque about a year ago. Like it here a lot, but also miss California. Oh, to be more peripatetic..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:04 pm
Responding to a post a few years later, LoisLane, Big Deal on Madonna Street is the film I was talking about --- oops, on a more recent thread - with the guys going through the glass roof...

Jolly to read this thread again, though I'd caught up to the end of it more recently.

Hope you're well and having fun.
0 Replies