Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:52 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 970 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 02:26 pm
Well, have you spoken with your parents? To my mind, that would be Job One - just see what they'll say.

If you just leave, you will very likely be considered a runaway.
0 Replies

kkmauricio

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 02:38 pm
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 02:40 pm
Go to the phone book and look up Legal Services. If you can't find them, look up your local bar association. Explain to them what you've explained here.

But I caution you that there are no guarantees here and you won't necessarily get what you want, particularly if your grandmother is considered a competent and nonabusive parental figure. You're not going to get emancipation just because you feel like it.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 03:50 pm
Re: emancipation or something??
kkmauricio wrote:
i am a sixteen year old who is 31 weeks pregnant and i want to know if i can live with my boyfriends mother, legally. they live in n.c and i live in n.m and i want to live with them but dont know if it possible, my boyfriends mother says that since i am pregnant i can just leave?? well please help

Be aware that people often have ulterior motives.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 06:50 am
I agree with the others. Don't be too quick to jump the gun because it could cause you more trouble than you can handle.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 11:55 am
Taking a minor across state lines for immoral purposes (such as continuing to sleep with your boyfriend) is a federal offense. Your boyfriend's mother would wind up in very serious trouble if she encourages you to leave your family and live with her without your parents giving permission.

Exactly what are your Dad's objections to your boyfriend's family? Has he talked with your boyfriend's mother? With your boyfriend?

How old is your grandmother? How is her health? Is she willing to take the responsibility for you and for the baby?

Just who is going to be financially responsible for you? For the baby? Have you made any preparations for this baby? Child birth classes? A layette? A nursery?

How many years of high school do you have left? When will your boyfriend graduate? Has he ever held a job?

Right now you seem to be focused on yourself--understandable in a 16-year-old and disasterous for a teenage mother.

You are getting some excellent advice here--not the "advice" that you wanted, but facts and attitudes that you need.

Good luck.
0 Replies

apmom1266

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:46 am
Perhaps you could wait until your child is born. I'm pretty sure that, in most state, once an underage female gives birth they become an emancipated minor. Just to make sure, you should check out the laws in your state. You can look it up on-line, but just to be sure you should consult the legal department at your nearest state university.
On the other hand, you should do everything possible to keep a good relationship with your family. Think things through carefully, list all the reasons for wanting to move in with your boyfriend, consider all the pros and cons, and present your thoughts to your parent(s) in a rational and intelligent manner. I can see your pov of wanting to be with your boyfriend, though hopefully you two will be abstaining to prevent another baby while you both are still so young; after all, he should be just as much a part of your baby's life. On the other hand you should make some legal preparations, in the event that things don't work out between you two. Get an order from the court that you are, unless you and your boyfriend marry before the baby is born, the custodial parent.
Please please please continue with your education. You can continue with school(if you feel the need or you can also homeschool, but whatever you do work toward getting through college or vo-tech. I think college is best, though not everyone is suited to college. It's not as hard as some would like others to believe, and it's actually pretty fun(even if, as a parent, you can do the party thing). You will need to have more education, than just high school level general ed, to earn a decent income and provide for your family.
I hope you've been doing a lot of research on important infant care issues(breastfeeding, circumcision, positive parenting, etc).
0 Replies

ninabug16

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:49 am
there are no true answers
understandable that your going through alot.my cousin is 16 and she lives in nc. she just had her baby and is going through a hell of a time.be careful for your decisions knowing that the judges in nc don't take the runaway thing too lightly.if you try your best for emmancipation you would have to have proof of income and is the dad going 2 live with you>? you should be put on the wick program.keep in mind that if you take it to court please be serious because you will most likely be listened to-why is it your wanting to leave? if your grandmother will not support the child and you how is it that your going to be able to support yourself and the baby.make a wise decision because the baby is innocent by all means and if you create an unhealthy environment it may harm the baby. no matter how bad life may seem never jump in a situation to quickly without knowing the consequences.If there is a real need to leave home you can call dss and get a child advocate appointed to you with no charge and they will advise you in the best way possible.good luck to you no matter what this seems like a real troubling situation.
0 Replies