Floored By Flooring

Boca

Tue 23 Feb, 2016 06:29 am
We are buying a villa in Boca Raton, Florida. It is carpeted in all the living areas but we want to remove the carpeting. What type of flooring should we be looking at for an area of about 1,000 sq. ft?

tsarstepan

Tue 23 Feb, 2016 06:56 am
@Boca,
Soil from the Garden of Eden. Good luck locating it though.
Boca

Tue 23 Feb, 2016 09:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
I already have it in my present location. It's a bit difficult to look after, hence my search for an alternative flooring.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 23 Feb, 2016 09:54 pm
@Boca,
do you know what overall style you will be decorating in?

how about lifestyle plans? entertaining? pets? sports? etc
0 Replies

Boca

Wed 24 Feb, 2016 10:41 pm
We will not have pets and we will hopefully have guests, both very young and older, visiting occasionally.
We want to be able to walk around without shoes and not slip and fall. I totally refuse to spend hours scrubbing the floors so the material has to be very easy to maintain.
AlexEverette

Wed 23 Mar, 2016 07:49 am
@Boca,
If you want to be able to walk around without slipping and falling, then carpet, linoleum, a rougher variety of tile, or a textured laminate are probably your best bets. Hard floors are always easier to maintain because they don't require vacuuming or shampooing, and they last decades longer, which means fewer replacements. Any type of flooring with grout is going to be a little more high maintenance than a solid hardwood or marble floor, same goes with textured flooring. If I had to choose between grout and a little bit of texture, I'd definitely go with the little bit of texture. My best recommendation for you would be a textured laminate. There are several varieties that actually look pretty good, I really like the new ashy type colors that are becoming popular.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 01:05 pm
@Boca,
have you considered cork or bamboo? I hear very good things from friends who've gone those routes - and as a visitor I found both of them nice to walk on
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 01:14 pm
Florida? Hot, muggy, wet, sandy?

Textured surfaced ceramic tile with beige grout. Use rugs where you like.
0 Replies

Doughty12

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 04:54 am
@Boca,
I think you should go for concrete flooring but that depends on the environment and air. wooden flooring would also suit a villa.
anupama1

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:28 pm
@Doughty12,
You can go for hardwood flooring.
shwetasharma

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 03:23 am
@Boca,
I would suggest hardwood flooring. This will be best flooring for your new home.
0 Replies

HenryTGirardi

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 11:05 pm
You can try laminates for the flooring from a good contractor. There are number of options available for that.
0 Replies

ThomasWinfrey

Mon 26 Sep, 2016 04:58 am
@anupama1,
Yes. hardwood flooring will be better.
0 Replies

Ann-Klemetson

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 05:44 am
@Boca,
Granite is an excellent option when it comes to flooring, it is a hard surface and can be a good alternative to carpets if you are planning to remove it. Also, after you have floored you should get a slip and fall treatment done on it to avoid the possibility of any accidents.
0 Replies

Xu Lixing

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 05:19 am
@Boca,
For a natural stone look, go for stone panels. Hope it will help!!
0 Replies

ruthfra

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 10:32 pm
@Boca,
You can buy quartz, marble, granite, dekton, neolith for flooring of villa. If you will use these kind of flooring so you can remove carpeting. These kind of flooring will gives classic look for your villa.
0 Replies

cameronleon

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 10:42 pm
@Boca,
Quote:
We are buying a villa in Boca Raton, Florida. It is carpeted in all the living areas but we want to remove the carpeting. What type of flooring should we be looking at for an area of about 1,000 sq. ft?

I don't know much about the area, but I saw real state pictures in that place and houses are mostly one floor units.

When the house floor touches the ground, and by bad luck you have a water canal under the area, you can put any kind of floor but wood over the concrete.

If you decide to go with hardwood, be sure to use products which will installed first to impede humidity coming up from the ground and perturb the wood causing stain in several parts of the floor. I guess that most of the new houses over there have been prepared already for this inconvenience, but you better check, just in case.

Whatever is your choice when replacing the carpet, remember that this is a decision that can't be changed as changing the color of the paint on the walls.

Better to see lots of pictures of houses similar to yours, and see what it fits better for the different rooms of your new house.
0 Replies