An Embarassment to Science

Lilkanyon

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:14 pm
@Leadfoot,
I have two autistic kids, and tbh? i feel like evolution has "reset" their brains to concentrate on survival instead of social graces. Am I crazy to consider this?
farmerman

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
There is no logical reason why evolution could not go backwards since no one disputes that the vast majority of mutations are not 'forward'.
. Species can cease evolving (consider the horshoe crab or the coelacanth). Anything evolving "Backwards" has basically gone extinct as a species.
Dollo's Law actually addresses why things dont really "re-evolve".
Lilkanyon

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 07:31 pm
@farmerman,
Not sure we have proof of backwards evolution, just stalled evolution. Crocodiles, rats, and horseshoe crabs are a simple but perfect species. What about the rest? Humanity is a different factor altogether. We dont leave people to do or die.
Leadfoot

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 10:15 pm
@farmerman,
I didn't assume backwards in terms of following the same path. It might be completely new but less complex or developed in the direction it had been following but not necessarily less survivable.
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 10:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
Ive often wondered if evolution has gone a bit haywired. Considering we have evolved faster in the last 100 years or so then we have in the last 2000 years. Hollywood imagines Xmen...I have the reality...autistics, that their DNA says ENOUGH! I dont want to sound crazy, Im just trying to make sense of it all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 11:36 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Quote:
Not sure we have proof of backwards evolution
we dont. I just stated above what we have found.
Hyper adaptation , eg , is when free-living species become parasitic and thus, simpler forms that shed most all their free-living equipment. ( this occurs in dimorphic species where we see males becoming the parasites to their females).

Lilkanyon

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 11:56 pm
@farmerman,
And how does that relate to autism again?
farmerman

Fri 26 Feb, 2016 11:58 pm
@Lilkanyon,
I have no position on autism. I believe you are the one that posed the point, not I.

you said
I have two autistic kids, and tbh? i feel like evolution has "reset" their brains to concentrate on survival instead of social graces. Am I crazy to consider this?
Lilkanyon

Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:31 am
@farmerman,
leadfoot and I had a common thought you entered in to. I thought you were on same page. My apologizes.
Amoh5

Sat 27 Feb, 2016 01:33 am
@Lilkanyon,
Backward evolution? Pakicetus was a giant rat-like land animal which evolved back into the sea and became a Whale. They say all land animals evolved out of the sea...
Setanta

Sat 27 Feb, 2016 02:03 am
@Amoh5,
Your language is tendentious and ridiculous. You say "back into the sea," as though there were some cosmic "one way" sign which prohibited any land-based creatures from exploiting a pelagic environment. It is almost always the case that someone who writes "They say . . . " is preparing to shovel bull poop.
0 Replies

Briancrc

Sat 27 Feb, 2016 06:04 am
@Lilkanyon,
Quote:

I am unsure what is meant by concentrating on survival. As a species we have done well in social groups, imitating the actions of others, developing language, learning much about our environment through description instead of by experience (don't touch the stove. It's hot and you'll get burned). These are the very skills that have been impaired (to varying degrees) in people who carry the diagnosis of autism. Our species has little in the way of instinctual behavior (I.e., complex behaviors that do not require learning) (e.g., chicks imprinting on mother bird, baby kangaroos climbing into the mother's pouch) to help us survive, so we depend largely on various repertoires developing through socialization (I.e., feedback from people being important)
Lilkanyon

Sat 5 Mar, 2016 12:59 am
@Briancrc,
I agree with you. I did not mean that autistics have a better chance of survival. I didnt mean to imply that. I only meant that they have taken on the characteristics of animals more then humans. I am afraid to say that because I fear backlash. An autistic child does learn when he gets burned, not to touch again, just as acat will not run across a stove after its been burned.
What I meant to say, is autistics do not recognize the need of socializing to survive. They are more "leopard", in a way. Is that possible?
0 Replies

CVeigh

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 12:22 pm
@Leadfoot,
I won't divert my time to that but what he claims is being claimed this month by the Physicist Leo Smolin in his address to the C S Peirce Society. Unless physical laws represent something immaterial why do we exclude them from Evolution?

Personally, I don't see this as true but I do wonder why Evolutionists shrink so fiercely from considering it. I think it is because they see that it undermines their position and does not boost it.
cicerone imposter

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 12:32 pm
@Amoh5,
My wife and I went to see Star Trek Beyond yesterday, and Spock was not the same without Nimoy. The graphics were nice, but wasn't all that impressed with the story line.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 04:02 pm
@CVeigh,
what laws of physics do you assert that biology , especially evolution, dismiss? and , of what laws do you think Smolin is talking
0 Replies