Is Music a Language?

rufio

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 03:48 pm
I just thought of something, Letty - what happens to that song if it is used in the middle of a comedy with comedic effects? I never thought of it as sad, because I'd only seen it as used in Sylvia.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:27 pm
folks, Just a quick moment to let you know that the entire state of Florida is under attack.

Hey, rufio. Not certain about Sylvia...Thunder and lightning is dissonant.

Later all.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:45 pm
Incidentally, rufio. Thanks for the acknowledgement.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:50 pm
Better button down the hatches Letty, Bonnie Charlie is headin our wayyyyy!!!! Woooohooooo!!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:09 pm
I know, Panz. It is so odd. One moment all hell broke loose, then full sunlight and clear skies. Think I'll have to ride this one out. No other choice.

(loved your pictures in the gallery, Panz, you and comet and Biscayne Bay. Also the multi-colored stripes of beauty that seemed to be waving, goodbye and hello.)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:24 pm
Thanks Letty. I was shy about posting them but I'm very proud of the stripey one I call Satin. I'm getting the hang of digital...after 30 years of getting the hang of 35 mm...lol
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:39 pm
Knights in white satin. So many things that I would like to be but guess I'm simply stuck with me.

I am always taken by what I cannot do, Panz.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:43 pm
So, Letty, the worst is over?

Panzade - thanks for posting pix. Never abandon the 35 mm!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:52 pm
LittleK. We've only just begun, I'm afraid. UhOh...Just remembered another song.

We've Only Just Begun
Carpenters
(Paul Williams & Roger Nichols)

We've only just begun to live,
White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we're on our way.
And yes, We've just begun.

Before the rising sun we fly,
So many roads to choose
We start our walking and learn to run.

Sharing horizons that are new to us,
Watching the signs along the way,
Talking it over just the two of us,
Working together day to day
Together.

And when the evening comes we smile,
So much of life ahead
We'll find a place where there's room to grow,

Karen, perfect pitch, and I sounded much like her when I sang. Sweet remembrances.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:52 pm
This thread turned into a hurricane watch all of a sudden.

Is music a language? One definition in the dictionary is "a systematic means of communicating ideas or feelings...."

Music conveys feeling bettter than words do. Ideas? Yes, vaguely. Programmatic music tells a story that can be followed, though there is always a hint or guide to the story line in, at least, the title of the piece.

Non-programmatic music is absract and like abstract painting doesn't transmit definite ideas or images. However, they transmitt mood and feeling.

Animals have an array of sounds they make to convey feelings and ideas. A certain sound in a social group, for instance, meaning that there's a predator in their midst, transmits a definite idea. Now, that's not music, but one could extrapolate from there.

Poetry uses the language of words to transcend the words; music starts at that point. So, poetry is a sort of music using words. I'm not sure that is germane to this theme though.

At any rate, great thread, Rosborne.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:47 pm
Great thread Sorry to hijack it for the Herricane watch but we Floridians will be using A2K to stay in touch in the next 2 days.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:55 pm
Come to think of it, most animal sounds are pre-verbal communication and not pre-musical, with the exception of bird songs. If you accept that bird songs are true music, then music is language. The brid song conveys much information to the female bird about the suitability of the male singer to be the father of the potential offspring. Either the female accepts or rejects the singer based largely on the song.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:29 pm
Bookmark, good morning everyone.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:30 pm
Morning lad
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:39 pm
Morning Pan, to you and your bass guitar.

How are things in Florida now, storm-wise? Best wishes from us here, by the way.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:23 am
coluber2001 wrote:
Come to think of it, most animal sounds are pre-verbal communication and not pre-musical, with the exception of bird songs. If you accept that bird songs are true music, then music is language. The brid song conveys much information to the female bird about the suitability of the male singer to be the father of the potential offspring. Either the female accepts or rejects the singer based largely on the song.

I don't think of birdsong as music. It has pretty notes, but it doesn't flow together like what I call "music".

Come to think of it, what is Music? As opposed to a collection of notes. Does it have to have beat and melody and all that. If so, then I don't think birdsong would be music, but just pure language, or rather, a language distinct from music... ?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:36 am
Ros, music is anything that the ear desires it to be. I wonder how many composers have been inspired by onomatopoeias?

Hey, McTag. Happy Friday the 13th. Smile
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:44 am
"All musical activity is the outcome of a balance between vivid, colorful and exact tone imagination and skillful tone production." --Sigurd Rascher

Notes are not music. I can have my computer play a song, but it not music, it is only notes. Music exists only when a conscious human hears in his mind what he wants to play, then shapes and impresses the notes with his consciousness. Singing birds are not music. They are doing what nature has instilled them with. But when humans hear the birds and make from the notes they are singing a melody that is beautiful, it becomes music to the listener. A conscious being is the only thing that is capable of creating meaningful notes, or music. It is a language and one of the greatest expressions of man's deepest thoughts and desires.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:45 am
Rather deep...but agreeable
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:46 am
Thanks McTag. It's rather like being a skittles pin. Have Skittles in UK?
0 Replies