Letter received about arrears owed

mcopolo

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 11:42 am
I received a letter from the child support office stating that I owe almost $10,000 in arrears last Saturday. I've been paying child support on time for at least 10 years and no arrears ever showed up. I was on child support for my 3 kids. The oldest graduated in 2014 and the second oldest graduated in 2015. I've been paying for my youngest who turned 18 in the beginning of December. The child support office told me that I don't owe any current child support, but I owe these arrears. They won't tell me where these arrears are coming from. What do I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 02:24 pm
@mcopolo,
Time to consult a lawyer. Contact legal services in your area if you feel you can't afford one.
mcopolo

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 02:46 pm
@jespah,
@jespah thanks for responding. Getting a lawyer was my next move, just was wondering if anyone had been through this.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 02:54 pm
@mcopolo,
I agree with Jespah and now you, re getting an attorney. I'd be particular about the attorney, so consider looking up the local or state bar association people. They probably don't recommend anyone, but as in my old business, architecture, we would list three people whose work was repeatedly satisfactory to date. Or at least they could point you to a list of people dealing with this sort of stuff.

Perhaps I'm wrong, haven't tried that myself, but it might be better than the phone book.
mcopolo

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 03:30 pm
@ossobuco,
@ossobuco thanks for your input. I will look into the local or state bar association people.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 03:32 pm
@mcopolo,
Let us know how it goes. I've a soft spot for these kind of troubles, one way or another.
0 Replies