Building a website on a Mac

Tarah

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 05:09 am
I want to build a website and rather like annifa (down the page) I don't know how to go about it.

Do you know of any good web template sites that would be suitable for a Mac? As I don't have any knowledge, would that be enough to help me create a website?

Do I then have to pay someone every month to host the site?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,013 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 05:25 am
Re: Building a website on a Mac
Tarah wrote:

Do you know of any good web template sites that would be suitable for a Mac?

The web is based on cross-platform technologies and as such all templates should be suitable for Macs.

Template sites usually charge for the templates and you can find the top sites for this here: website templates.

Free templates usually aren't great quality, and usually are low on graphics.

You can find free templates here: Open Source Web Design.

Quote:
As I don't have any knowledge, would that be enough to help me create a website?

You should know basic HTML, or at least know how to use a WYSIWYG editor. An easy one to learn is Microsoft's Frontpage and it used to be included in Office Suites.

Quote:
Do I then have to pay someone every month to host the site?

You can use free hosting (that's a list of the main ones) if you don't mind their ads and restrictions. They vary from host to host but some of the concerns are limitations on file types, bandwidth (how much traffic you can use), space (how much file space you can use), content ownership (some dictate that they can use the content you upload to them) and proffessionalism (if you are selling anything avoid free hosting, as it's kinda seen as a teenybopper thing).

If you are serious about your site you should probably get paid hosting (another list of the top hosts) and for shared hosting (sharing a server with other sites, which should be fine for 99+% of websites) you should pay about 10 dollars a month.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 06:39 pm
Many thanks, Craven.

That's certainly given me plenty to think about.

I gather the first thing I have to do is work out what I want the site to achieve and go from there.
0 Replies