Pink Suit and Heels

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:11 am
"Governor Girlie Man Arnold"

Quote:
Arnold Schwarzenegger has settled a lawsuit against an Ohio firm that produces bobblehead dolls in his image. . . .

Under the new agreement, Ohio Discount can produce Schwarzenegger-the-politician dolls -- without the gun. . . .

The original Schwarzenegger bobblehead was part of a deal that included several Democratic presidential candidates, organized by Washington, D.C., lobbyist John Edgell, to raise money for two cancer and children's charities.

Bosley said he severed ties with Edgell when the former congressional staffer sought offers for a "Groping Arnold" bobblehead, after accusations surfaced that Schwarzenegger had groped several women during his years in Hollywood.

Edgell, who was also named in Schwarzenegger's suit, said he opposes the settlement and plans to seek an injunction.

He's now created a prototype for a "Governor Girlie Man Arnold" bobblehead featuring the governor in a pink suit and heels -- a reference to the governor's recent insult that some Democratic lawmakers were "girlie men."

If Edgell attempts to market the bobblehead doll featuring Arnold donned in a pink suit and heels, do you suppose Arnold will sue again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
Definitely. Don't they know Arnie's an autumn?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Jespah - How can they sue for such a thing? Doesn't this fall under freedom of speech / satire?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:38 am
Yeah, it's probably going to be covered under satire. Doesn't mean he can't try to make a stink about it, if he wants to, but it's doubtful that he'd win. He's a public figure and, as such, has to expect this sort of thing, particularly since he's in the political arena.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
Freedom of Speech
squinney wrote:
Doesn't this fall under freedom of speech / satire?

Will the First Amendment protect the "satirist" who is not only making an alleged political statement but who is also capitalizing on it through a money-making commercial enterprise?

The Courts tend to favor First Amendment protection.

See, e.g., Free Speech Trumps Mattel's Trademark Right in Plastic Doll (Barbie)

"The 9th Circuit defined commercial speech as that which does 'no more than propose a commercial transaction'; speech that does something else besides proposing a commercial transaction (such as parody, satire or editorial comment) is not 'purely commercial' and is entitled to full First Amendment protection."

BTW, California is located in the Ninth Circuit . . .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:31 pm
That's what I thought was the current stand. I'd be opposing a settlement, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:38 pm
The fellow who beat Mattel on this question is a friend of mine, and I had thought of that situation right away as I started reading this thread. The situations aren't identical, as this one regarding Arnold is a doll manufactured as satire, not an art work satirizing a doll's, er, persona. Still, it seems to me Arnold would not win the suit.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:55 pm
if i remember correctly (miracles do happen) Henry Ford sued the Chicago Tribune for libel requesting a penalty of $1 million, the Tribune was found libel and the jury awarded Ford 6 cents. I am guessing Mr Bobblehead Arhnold would get about 3 cents.
0 Replies