Does blue obsidian exist?

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 11:35 am
Some years ago I bought these blue unknown (for me) rocks or crystals, the man told me that they had been found in north of Mexico, in a mine, today I saw a post in "amazing geologist" with a identical piece, theres a discussion of wheter is a blue obsidian or a hand made glass I would like to know your opinion about it.
Thanks.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlq9kk6b68acr71/IMG_0607.JPG?dl=0

dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 11:47 am
@Emiliano0085,
Hell yes Emil, and thanks for that'n, beautiful
I'd say typical purple

It's not everyday I get to respond, but once in while an easy one...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 11:48 am
@Emiliano0085,
I'm pretty sure blue obsidian exists, but the piece I had didn't look like the one in your photo.

The one I had was a light blue, like baby blue, and it was opaque, not translucent.

The piece I had looked more like this:
http://www.alaskanartifacts.com/Eastern_Washington/BlueObsidian/042509_BlueTachylyte_Obsidian2.jpg
dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:00 pm
@rosborne979,
Ros that's also a beauty, but purple's more common
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:31 pm
@rosborne979,
yours is called "tachylite". Its found with basalt deposits in small globs.
Real opbsidian will have a tanslucency variation when you hold it up to the light in one direction, then f you turn it 90 degrees It will be almost opaque.
This "birefringence" is a giveaway for obsidian v glass.
Just from looking at the photo, Id say EMILIANO's blue one is manufactured glass and not obsidian.
Theres a lot of scroungy folks out there trying to sell stuff as authentic.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 01:57 pm
@farmerman,
Good'n, Man. How wish as a young rockhound I had broken more books
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 06:18 am
@dalehileman,
well, I just caught my own error. Im getting addled. The term for differeing colors when a crystal is viewed from different angles is called PLEOCHROISM , not birerefringence. Birefringence is the property of exhibiting "double refraction" (If you read a newspaper through a chunk of Iceland SPar, you see two lines of print for each one there).
Pleochroism is the ability for a crystal to absorb different wavelengths of the spectrum along different axes and thus exhibit different colors when viewed with transmitted light or under various wavelengths (like flourescent v incandescent)

Heres an example of a mineral with Strong pleochroic responses. Its clinozoisite (the variety is a gemstone called TAnzanite). You can see the different colors it exhibits in different wavelengths (not different axes in this case)

http://minerals.gps.caltech.edu/files/visible/zoisite/Zoisite2891_colors.jpg                                                         .
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 11:32 am
@farmerman,
Thanks Man, I'll try to remember that tho probably I won't. Still you're forgiven
0 Replies