Hero

dauer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:02 am
Has anyone heard anything about the film Hero? I'm hoping it will be amazing but I haven't heard much about it.

Dauer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,087 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:31 am
Depends if you're talking about the 1992 Stephen Frear's "Hero"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104412/

It's been making the rounds of cable so I watched it for the second time. Not a great film and not Frear's best film but very enjoyable with a great central performance.

Otherwise, here's all the films entitled "Hero!"

http://www.imdb.com/find?tt=on;mx=20;q=Hero
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:37 am
No, I'm talking about the movie just being released in the states directed by Yimou Zhang. This link has trailers.

http://www.empiremovies.com/movies/2003/hero.shtml

Quote:
Hero is the story of the soon-to-be First Emperor of China who is on the brink of conquering a war-torn land during the violent dawn of the Qin dynasty over two thousand years ago. Three opponents are determined to assassinate the King, and one loyal subject stands in their way.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:56 am
Quote:
Hero is the story of the soon-to-be First Emperor of China .

I hope it is not the first emporor (the one who gave China its name and started the great wall and was buried among the terracotta soldiers) who the 2hero2 in this film: he was a terrible and bloody despot who served as an example for, and was admired by, Mao.

The Xin emperor was notorious especially for his persecution of scientists and scholars having executed 200 of them on one occasion by burying them alive.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:31 am
Okay, this "Hero:"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/

(Empire gives little information).
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:28 pm
That's it, LW. Thanks.
0 Replies

roserosegungun

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:45 pm
i like this movie,the actor of Broken Sword is my favourite actor~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:14 am
Certainly has a the user rating -- 8.2. And the reviews are at 100% favorable on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1131781-hero/
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:40 am
My two favorite quotes:

"Ang Lee, you got served!"

-- Luke Y. Thompson of lytrules.com

"While action is the main attraction here, one also savors moments of sustained silence when stoic Li and his adversaries arrange their pre-combat thoughts in Zen-like concentration."
-- Jules Brenner, FILMCRITIC.COM
0 Replies

K-

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:08 pm
re
Yimou's "Hero" is a movie well worth seeing, but it does not paint the Emperor in a bad light. I know very little about the history involved, but it was politically controversial in Asia and lauded in the Chinese mainland.

This film has been around for years already and was initially supposed to be released in either 2001 or 2002, I forget which.

It's a highly visual, highly stylized, relatively artsy martial arts film a la Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's well-produced and many sequences are quite arresting. I don't think it's a great movie, but it's good, and has to be the best thing Jet Li has participated in in many years.

Yimou's newer martial arts movie, House of Flying Daggers (AKA "Lovers" in Japan) has already been theatrically released abroad, though it isn't generating as much buzz as HERO did upon its initial release.

K.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 05:57 pm
HEY!!!!!!
You are talking about Hero!
In China many people thought it was great of the visure and show in the chinese cultrue.
But some people said it was rabbish because of the poor content. I don't think so.

But when i have seen House of Flying Daggers i can said that if you want to see real rabbish you can buy you a ticket Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 06:12 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
Quote:
Hero is the story of the soon-to-be First Emperor of China .

I hope it is not the first emporor (the one who gave China its name and started the great wall and was buried among the terracotta soldiers) who the 2hero2 in this film: he was a terrible and bloody despot who served as an example for, and was admired by, Mao.

The Xin emperor was notorious especially for his persecution of scientists and scholars having executed 200 of them on one occasion by burying them alive.

Guy i want to remind you the time of him is 2200 years ago.
yeah, he have killed many scholars. But those scholars had intervened the politics and didn't want china to be united.
(if you want to see a terrible Qin Emeror you can see a anther movie directed by Kaige Chen called Emperor and the Assassin
Emperor and the Assassin)
I think Qin Emperor was better than many tyrants.
At least he like sex too much unlike many other emperors in china(some had thousands of wives) and he had never enjoyed in playing and entertaiment.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:02 pm
It is an amazing film, the cinematography is remarkable, and the use of colours was breathtaking. This is one of Jet Lee's few good films others include Once Upon A Time in China. It is certainly worth watching.
0 Replies

K-

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:43 am
re
Locke15 wrote:
It is an amazing film, the cinematography is remarkable, and the use of colours was breathtaking. This is one of Jet Lee's few good films others include Once Upon A Time in China. It is certainly worth watching.

I thought the use of color - while visually appealing - was just a little much.

For those who haven't seen it, essentially, HERO tells a Rashomon-"3 sides (or more in this case) to every story" -style tale. And each individual thread of the movie is represented by a different color. Red, blue, green ... it's literally color-coded. And then when you get to the "truth," it's white, all the different shades of prior truth combined.

It's sorta clever but ... eh ... I don't know. I found it a bit too precious for its own good, especially with all the endless slow-motion and melodrama.

Still, it's a pretty cool movie in ways, and certainly is richly atmospheric. I do recommend seeing it. I think I liked it better than CTHD.

Once Upon a Time in China is an *excellent* Jet Li movie! My personal favorite. Most of the sequels are reasonably decent, too.

K.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:51 am
I heard about the sequels K but I haven't watched them yet, I'll watch them some time.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:12 am
Quote:

At least he (didn't (my insertion)) like sex too much unlike many other emperors in China(some had thousands of wives) and he had never enjoyed in playing and entertaiment.

Hello Bush,

I can't claim to be an expert on Chinese history. I have read about the Qin emperor with regard to the influence his example may have had on Mao.

I read that he was not too interested in sex because he considered that ejaculation drains a man's life force (nice resemblance to the "precious bodily fluids" idea of Gen. Jack D. Ripper in Dr Strangelove), while he strove for immortality.

I also read that he sent children to their death on the sea on a quest to find mythical islands which were rumoured to have the secret to everlasting youth. (It is known now that tales of these islands, seen off the coast, are based on a mirage which appears under certain weather conditions). The immortality ideal was also reflected in the splendor and grandeur of his mausoleum, which should rank as one of the unlisted wonders of the world.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:08 pm
I was just reading about this movie, can't wait to see it..... hope it plays somewhere closer to home than downtown boston (I don't cross the river much).
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:42 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
Quote:

At least he (didn't (my insertion)) like sex too much unlike many other emperors in China(some had thousands of wives) and he had never enjoyed in playing and entertaiment.

Hello Bush,

I can't claim to be an expert on Chinese history. I have read about the Qin emperor with regard to the influence his example may have had on Mao.

I read that he was not too interested in sex because he considered that ejaculation drains a man's life force (nice resemblance to the "precious bodily fluids" idea of Gen. Jack D. Ripper in Dr Strangelove), while he strove for immortality.

I also read that he sent children to their death on the sea on a quest to find mythical islands which were rumoured to have the secret to everlasting youth. (It is known now that tales of these islands, seen off the coast, are based on a mirage which appears under certain weather conditions). The immortality ideal was also reflected in the splendor and grandeur of his mausoleum, which should rank as one of the unlisted wonders of the world.

As you said the mausoleum. Yeah, very mysterious. Now many Chinese archaeologists are participating into the debate about discovering the mausoleum or not. It has many reasons that cause the existence of debate. Here i present one:according to Shiji and many other famous history record, the mausoleum are surrouded with mercury( this is also proved by scientific exploration) I believe all of you know the power of mecury and i have to tell you this might be a kilometers-mercury-field Exclamation and how to avoid the destruction caused by it will be a tough question.
Also after the fall of Qin dynasty the King of Chu----Yu Xiang destroyed all the ground structures in 206 B.C. according to Shiji. But the question is had Yu Xiang also destroyed the unsergraund structure Question As you know that is the most improtant part of the mausoleum.
0 Replies