Joy and meaning

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 03:04 pm
I realize that my other topics were too long winded. So I wish to discuss this topic. It is an issue I am having since I struggle with depression and anhedonia and it is just plain nonsense to me to say that a depressed and anhedonic person can still have joy and meaning in their lives. I will now begin to explain and we can continue our discussion from here. My other topics only offered different discussions. But this one gets to the very root and to the very point here:

My one and only reason for being a composer is to get pleasure highs off of my compositions since pleasure is the only experience that offers me a joyous and life filled meaningful experience in my life. My goal was to become famous one day and share my compositions exactly as I hear them in my mind. That would then boost my ego and allow me to get even more pleasure highs from being famous and from my music.

It's a good ego and not a bad ego since I am not harming, demeaning, or stealing from innocent people. It is just how I find joy and meaning in my personal life. You might tell me that there is far more joy and meaning that can be had in my life besides my pleasure (my good moods). But since I struggle with depression and a chronic 24/7 absence of pleasure due to a genetic defect, then how are my thoughts alone (mere words and phrases) supposed to give my life joy and meaning?

The thought that I did something in my life anyway and did something for the world contains no joyful meaningful energy without my good moods. These words and phrases are nothing more than lifeless vessels that contain no joyful, meaningful, or inspiring energy to them. They are all like lifeless zombies without a soul. Pleasure is like the soul that fills them all up and everything in my life with profound vigorous life force. This is what gives my life joy and meaning.

Therefore, I just don't understand how others say that a life of depression and an absence of pleasure can still have joy and meaning since thoughts alone are nothing more than an intellectual experience and are nothing more than lifeless words and phrases that contain no joyful meaningful energy to them. So they are nothing more than the words and phrases of joy and meaning. But do not offer any actual experience of joy and meaning in a depressed/anhedonic person's life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,881 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 03:26 pm
@MozartLink,
One thing about you I got to know already...you talk to much to others to be deeply deeply depressed. Not saying that you don't suffer from some existential vacuum all modern man suffer from and probably need to raise a tid bit your serotonin levels but don't worry you are not a serious case. As to your topic yes you are right joy and happiness cannot happen with words alone so what ?

1 - Get some freaking pills.
2 - Get an hobby or work that you really like after getting the pills. Occupy your time be productive.
3 - Stop feeling sorry for your unlucky sorry azz and use your brain power to do something about the problem before it gets worse to the point you wont even talk about it in forums any more. That's when you really get sick. Right now you come of as an attention seeker which is also another problem that can be sorted out.
4 - Have a nice day and profit from sensible good advise. Move on !
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:47 am
@MozartLink,
Hello, this is a truly important subject.

True, external things such as family, friends--even a favorite food--can to a limited extent bring a feeling of joy. (Acts 14:16, 17) Why, just anticipating something good can bring joy! (Compare Proverbs 10:28.) However, the joy a person derives from external circumstances or material things can be short-lived. On the other hand, external circumstances at times seem to rob us of joy. For example, a young man named Jim expresses how his secular job affected him: "I hated my job . . . I couldn't see spending my life just to advance some company that didn't seem to really care about me as a person. Plus, many of the people I worked with were backstabbing, insincere people."

Trying to induce joy artificially likewise proved a dead end. Recalls Jim: "I've been involved with drugs of all kinds since I was ten years old. But I became a very mixed-up person. I was sick of the life I was leading: drinking, taking drugs, and partying. Life had no meaning or purpose. I asked myself, `Where can I find something better?'"

Jim's experience in this regard reminds us of that of King Solomon. He, too, learned the futility of trying to find joy through self-indulgence:
Is there a way of life that is not vain, one that brings joy even under the direst of circumstances?

The Source of Real Joy
"The joy of Jehovah is your stronghold," said Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 8:10) Yes, joy emanates from Almighty God because, for one thing, he is the Creator of all good things that can bring true joy. "Strength and joy are at his place," says the Bible. (1 Chronicles 16:27) The real way to attain joy, therefore, is to have a friendship, a relationship, with the Creator himself such as Abraham enjoyed! (James 2:23) Can such a friendship bring joy? Consider what the psalmist said: "Your [God's] friendship is better than life." (Psalm 63:3, The Bible in Living English)

In passing let it be noted that Jim in time came to appreciate these facts. Today he is a joyful Christian. How could friendship with God bring joy? For one thing, God is "the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." (Hebrews 11:6) In serving God, one need not fear that one's efforts are in vain or go unnoticed. The smallest acts of devotion are deeply appreciated by him. (Compare Mark 12:41-44.) And when Jehovah blesses his faithful friends, his blessing "makes rich, and he adds no pain with it." (Proverbs 10:22) In fact, lovers of God look forward to enjoying the reward of eternal life in his New Order where "righteousness is to dwell." (2 Peter 3:13) Such a hope is a real cause of joy for Christians!

Another thing to consider is that "joy" is a fruit of God's spirit. Yet God generously gives his spirit to his friends upon request. (Galatians 5:22; Luke 11:13) What is the result? The psalmist proclaimed, "Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!"--Psalm 144:15.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 12:57 pm
I don't understand why this thread was tagged "atheism."
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 05:32 am
@Setanta,
I suppose those who live with the Lords grace and company are always happy was the point some idiot tried to make...it speaks wonders about most Christians mind set.
0 Replies

Briancrc

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 07:41 am
@MozartLink,
Quote:
It is an issue I am having since I struggle with depression and anhedonia and it is just plain nonsense to me to say that a depressed and anhedonic person can still have joy and meaning in their lives.

It's often a bit of a catch 22 when using diagnostic labels in discussions as many of the labels are simply descriptions of observed (or reported) symptoms. Brain studies of people with the diagnosis have focussed on certain areas that seem to operate differently than non-diagnosed. However, no one knows the level of joy felt by a person.

Maybe the neural effects (of dopamine release for example) for you and others with the diagnosis are less than other people, or maybe releases are not appreciably different across your experiences. Everyone's own descriptions of what they feel is fuzzy, and we don't know what another person is feeling when that person says that he feels happy or sad. And since you have found an activity that does lead to what you call joyful or meaningful, perhaps you can practice quietly telling yourself that your compositions bring joy to others and meaning to your existence; noting how many times you can tell this to yourself each day. There have been studies that describe the effects of positive and negative self talk. Good luck
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 09:47 am
@MozartLink,
Quote:
My one and only reason for being a composer is to get pleasure highs off of my compositions since pleasure is the only experience that offers me a joyous and life filled meaningful experience in my life.
I got no problem with that because if life isn't fun and includes sufficient pleasure highs, then - **** it all.

But aren't you being a bit limited in choosing where to get high? Not that composition isn't a worthy one, I like that one too, but for similar reasons my composing goals have been frustrated.

Open up a the field lot and don't be afraid to aim high.

And BTW, **** 'fame and fortune', it ain't all it's cracked up to be.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 09:23 am
@Leadfoot,
Fame n fortune or titles....hahaha, fools gold !
0 Replies