Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

oralloy

Fri 17 Feb, 2017 03:20 pm

I hear that Tony Blair is going to try to rally support for the UK changing their mind and not leave after all.

I wish him luck.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 02:51 am
From the Guardian:
Quote:
While Britain’s dealbreakers are well known, we look at what they are for its negotiating partners. Not all are shared, yet all will play a part in any final deal

Monday 20 February 2017 07.00 GMT
The British government’s key Brexit red lines – controlling EU immigration, ending the jurisdiction of the European court of justice, calling time on further big EU budget contributions – are by now well known, set out first in speeches by Theresa May and later confirmed in a government white paper.

But what of the EU’s red lines? Here we map the concerns, priorities and demands of each of the UK’s 27 negotiating partners. Some are shared, more or less, by all; others are strictly national. All will play a part in the deal Britain gets – because Brexit also means what the EU27 want it to mean.

What the EU27 want: Brexit red lines from the other side of the table [Long report with a lot of graphs]
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:36 am
It appears the anti-globalist dominoes are falling. An interesting article about The Netherlands' bid to move away from EU immigration patterns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/anti-immigrant-anger-threatens-to-remake-the-liberal-netherlands/2017/03/10/ebdb3a8c-ff4d-11e6-9b78-824ccab94435_story.html?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_2_na&utm_term=.d0d263d6240c
Walter Hinteler

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:55 am
@Lash,
Well, to call the extreme right like Lash see them ... such a belittlement of the political situation has been seen before, in the 30's of last century. And the waking up years later was cruel.
georgeob1

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 12:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You appear to conflate the rising nationalist sentiments in Europe today with the rise of Hitler in Germany in the 1930s. It seems to me they are very different things and have very different motivations. Are you, for example suggesting the British are seeking the restoration of empire with added lebensraum for their people? ( I wouldn't put it past them however)

As we have discussed before, the remote but increasingly far reaching rule of the EU (in it's pursuit of "ever closer union") and through its largely bureaucratic operations has bypassed many elements of democratic process and the understandable desire of people for local government responsive to their situations. I find nothing either surprising or alarming in that. On the contrary, given the long history of nation states, and even smaller governing entities, in Europe I am rather amazed at the success the union has seen to date.

In any event neither Lash nor I had anything to do with the visible resentments that motivated Brexit or the disquiet observable among some of the Dutch, French, Polish, Hungarian people in Europe regarding their lost local autonomy on some issues. Your suggestion about the "extreme right" was both offensive and unwarranted.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 06:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The people with conservative beliefs who I admire and respect will tell you quickly that I have no place among them.

Your desperate desire to attempt to characterize me as extreme in my political perspective only serves to reveal you as unable to countenance opposing views.

Take a deep breath.

You are the extreme.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:18 am
@Lash,
I do think that an opposing view of Wilders and others from the extreme right shows that I'm able to see the dangers we've got here from 1933 onwards.
I really, really don't want those times, and I'll oppose as long as I'm able to do so
Lash

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 06:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Then call Wilders' views extreme right.

I oppose enormous lumbering bureaucratic elitism that is removed and unresponsive to average people. Calling me 'extreme right' is cheap and incorrect.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 08:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My impression is that the track record so far in the assimilation of North African and Middle Eastern immigrants in France Belgium, Holland and the UK has not been particularly easy or effective. In many ways the same can be said of the assimilation of Turks in Germany which started earlier. These are processes that can take generations to complete, and my impression is that they are quicker and more efficiently done in more open, unregulated economies than those in Europe. Some local reaction to such things is entirely normal and certainly not necessarily equivalent to the rise of the Fascist states of the 1930s.

The United States had a wide open, unregulated economy in the late 19th and early 20th centuries as we assimilated hordes of Irish, Italian and Eastern European immigrants. This facilitated a quick transition to small scale entrepreneurship on the part of the new arrivals. Even in those conditions it was a fairly rowdy, rough process, and there was indeed local resistance to the newcomers among established residents, and a concentration of crime among the newcomers. However, it was all accomplished in about a generation, and without bombings; mass murder or the rise of Fascism.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 10:45 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
... the assimilation of Turks in Germany which started earlier. These are processes that can take generations to complete ...
It certainly does.
The main reason, in my opinion, is that most of the first generation actually didn't want to stay here until death.

georgeob1 wrote:
Some local reaction to such things is entirely normal and certainly not necessarily equivalent to the rise of the Fascist states of the 1930s.generation, and without bombings; mass murder or the rise of Fascism.
They are, at least by many of that crowd.
And not just a few are calling to burn, hang, destroy ... them - and dozens have tried to it.

Some politicians (including state lawmakers) of the far right want to create concentration camps ... with the only difference that they label it slightly different.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:11 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
we assimilated hordes of Irish, Italian and Eastern European immigrants.

France too absorded millions of emigrants from Poland, Spain, Italy and Portugal (mainly) during the 20th century, without too much pain. But note the pattern: these are all Catholic European countries, and they were emigrating to a predominently Catholic European country (France). It was still pretty hard for them to get accepted, they were mocked for decades (called "rital", "polack", etc.).

Muslim emigrants today meet with much greater challenges.
georgeob1

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:53 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
we assimilated hordes of Irish, Italian and Eastern European immigrants.

France too absorded millions of emigrants from Poland, Spain, Italy and Portugal (mainly) during the 20th century, without too much pain. But note the pattern: these are all Catholic European countries, and they were emigrating to a predominently Catholic European country (France). It was still pretty hard for them to get accepted, they were mocked for decades (called "rital", "polack", etc.).

Muslim emigrants today meet with much greater challenges.

As a boy in then very ethnic Detroit we had epithets for nearly every ethnic group including Poles, Jews, Slovenians, Slovaks, Italians and Irish. Very few of the kids I knew answered the question "What are you?" by saying "American". In most homes the parents or grandparents spoke another language, and Yiddish words were part of everyone's vocabulary.
I also knew that Northern Italians weren't very fond of Sicilians, just as Ashkenazi Jews weren't very fond of German Jews, though I didn't know (Or care) why. We also had lots of what we called "Syrians" and that they came in two varieties of both Christian and Moslem. It was much later that we learned that most were from Iraq.

All made serious efforts to adapt and become Americans, and the process was very rapid.

Moslem immigrants today experience more challenges only because the culture they are leaving (and in many or most cases bring with them) is itself highly intolerant of deviation. It seems to me that is their problem to solve - or, at least that only they can solve it.
Olivier5

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 12:35 pm
@georgeob1,
Muslims living in Western countries should indeed adapt to their environment but the environment must also make some room for them. E.g. mayors need to approve the construction of mosques, something which in France has often been a battle, but mosques cannot call for prayer (the azam) under present conditions. It would lead to trouble if they did, especially at 4:00 a.m., the time for the first prayer... but even at noon or at night. Yet our fiercely secular culture doesn't blink an eye when church bells ring, because church bells have always rung in the past...
cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 01:46 pm
@Olivier5,
The first idea that sprang to mind was Notre Dame and the hunchback.
centrox

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:38 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
All made serious efforts to adapt and become Americans, and the process was very rapid.

I work with a nominally "Muslim" guy who drinks beer, eats bacon, doesn't believe in God, and supports Bristol Rovers (soccer club). These things piss his father off, and he says the last one is the biggest thing they argue about.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 03:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The first idea that sprang to mind was Notre Dame and the hunchback.

I should change my avatar to this guy:

http://www.bedetheque.com/media/Couvertures/Cinemastock2a_05032005.jpg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 04:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Muslims living in Western countries should indeed adapt to their environment but the environment must also make some room for them. E.g. mayors need to approve the construction of mosques, something which in France has often been a battle, but mosques cannot call for prayer (the azam) under present conditions. It would lead to trouble if they did, especially at 4:00 a.m., the time for the first prayer... but even at noon or at night. Yet our fiercely secular culture doesn't blink an eye when church bells ring, because church bells have always rung in the past...

In view of the challenges currently faced by non- Muslims in Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Yemen, the Emirates, Kuwait, etc., I believe the problems you cite are truly trivial. We have no need to deny or suppress our own traditions or culture in order to satisfy the intolerance of those who come here, presumably to live peacefully among us, and become part of our culture. The (now mostly former) Christian and Jewish populations of these countries have long experienced severe forms of intolerance and persecution. We owe immigrants tolerance of their ways, but we don't owe them foreclosure on our own traditions.
Olivier5

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:25 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
In view of the challenges currently faced by non- Muslims in Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Yemen, the Emirates, Kuwait, etc., I believe the problems you cite are truly trivial.

Yes. That would be why millions of oriental Christians are emigrating from Syria, Iraq, etc. to Europe, Canada or the US, rather than vice versa.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 15 Mar, 2017 06:51 am
Rotterdam gripped in conflict over vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/mar/15/racism-rotterdam-diverse-city-infected-islamophobia?CMP=fb_gu
Walter Hinteler

Wed 15 Mar, 2017 07:12 am
@Lash,
It is your thread, Lash, and certainly you can post what you want.
But why don't you post such in the thread about the election in the Netherlands? Or do you think that the decade-old immigration to the Netherlands is connected to the Brexit in the UK?

But since you referred to an article in The Guardian - here's another from that source:
Theresa May is dragging the UK under. This time Scotland must cut the rope
Quote:
Britain is politically dead from the neck down. Leaving the union may be risky, but staying is worse

Here is the question the people of Scotland will face in the next independence referendum: when England falls out of the boat like a block of concrete, do you want your foot tied to it?

It would be foolish to deny that there are risks in leaving the United Kingdom. Scotland’s economy is weak, not least because it has failed to wean itself off North Sea oil. There are major questions, not yet resolved, about the currency it would use; its trading relationship with the rump of the UK; and its association with the European Union, which it’s likely to try to rejoin.

But the risks of staying are as great or greater. Ministers are already trying to reconcile us to the possibility of falling out of the EU without a deal. If this happens, Britain would be the only one of the G20 nations without special access to EU trade – “a very destructive outcome leading to mutually assured damage for the EU and the UK”, according to the Commons foreign affairs committee. As the government has a weak hand, an obsession with past glories and an apparent yearning for a heroic gesture of self-destruction, this is not an unlikely result.

... ... ...