Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 12:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
According to media reports both in the UK and Germany, the director of the V&A, Martin Roth, is expected to resign this week and return to his native Germany in a decision fuelled by his disillusionment at the Brexit vote.
(Roth was appointed in 2011, becoming the first foreign director of the V&A since it was founded in 1852.)
saab

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 01:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I did not complain - I said EU did not even notice it.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 01:15 pm
@saab,
Well, there is the EU directive from 1993.
And before any EU-election, there has been the notice:
Quote:
You may not vote in more than one EU country in the same European elections

What is your suggestion that could be done more by "the EU"? (NB: each EU country decides on the procedures of its election!)

On the one side, you complain about the hundreds of EU-laws, now want the EU to react to national election rules and laws.
ossobucotemp

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 01:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I just read that in The Guardian - I take that as quite a loss for the V & A -- which I've never been to, not having been to England at all, but have read about for years and years). I can understand Roth's feelings though.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/sep/04/martin-roth-v-and-a-director-expected-to-resign-brexit-europe
saab

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 01:44 pm
@ossobucotemp,
It is a great loss for V&A and the art world in London. Roth has done so much for the museum.
Sad that he leaves because of Brexit.
The non Brexiter would benefit from some support by people like him.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 01:52 pm
@saab,
Roth had had expressed his opinion about the Brexit already some months ago:
June, 14: V&A director Martin Roth on Brexit: 'We could be ruining everything our parents achieved'

June, 24: Martin Roth on Brexit: 'Me-first mentality' spreading through Europe is 'brutal'
0 Replies

momoends

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 06:52 pm
@contrex,
Eropean Union was born 20 years later and i meant to say the were never a trully member of the European Union, they managed to have all the opt outs available to keep themselves from sacrifices demanded to the rest of the members to get the Union strong and remain a member with full legal rights and a priviledged one among the rest. They fucked up. Royally. I dont know why but i have the impresiĆ³n a power alliance has been broken and somebody powerful in the EU will Choose another country to give those priviledges now that their present ally has worldwidely announce they will be better with out them... ????
0 Replies

momoends

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 07:48 pm
@Setanta,
We vote for the political group that offers a better proyect or is closer to our ideology. They are given for years to fully developed those measures they promised they would be benefiting for the country and have some time left to experience the results.
They will have full power over certain aspects but will give partial or total power to the 52 "states" council/governors over some others that should be adapted to the different circumtances and needs in every community. With the only restriction that no state law or meassure or policy can get in conflict with national ones or constituniotal rights or values.
Those state governors are elected like national goverment is and could be of a completely opposite ideological position that the national one or a local politic group nationally unknown and not related to any of the main ideologic groups. If those state governors can ask for a popular referendum over someting in particular and see it as the best option citizens would vote on it, if governors dont want to do it they wont
0 Replies

Blickers

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 09:08 pm
@momoends,
Quote momoends:
Quote:
The y [the UK] were never a member of the European Union

The UK has been a member of the European Union for decades. They have never been part of the Euro Zone, the group of nations in the EU which uses the Euro for currency and has other economic bonds as well.
momoends

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 10:03 pm
@Blickers,

Ireland and the United Kingdom also do not participate in the Schengen Agreement, which eliminates internal EU barries.Denmark, Ireland and the UK have an opt-out on police and justice matters and Poland and the UK have an opt out from the Charter of Fundamental Rights.
Summing it up: uk do accept a common coin, nor open borders policy, nor accept its police a justice system to be under a common supervision organism as the rest, neither accept to be commited to a common minimal right agreement , it just about accepting common defense, finantial cooperation and.... Thats all.... I know its been a European Union member since its foundation but what ive exponed previoulsly its not what the rest of us have been asked to do to fullfill European Union project.....ok: one girl wants to be a part of the basketball team, but hey, she wont wake up that early on saturday to train the whole day... You can asked her to do that... Shell be up and ready to train at 1200, two hours are enough, she loves being part of the team really but trainning everyday and sacrificing some quality hours with her boyfriend, really? Ill train longer saturday morning instead ill be here at 1100....after a while she keep her spare time untouched, train two days per week to mantain her figure and get to befriend one or two friends......shes a basketball player and a member of the basketball team, yes.... But is she? No, shes not
We all knew that and i see nobody shocked or concerned about it. I was an exchange student in liverpool for a year in 2002 and you found anti european union propaganda and organitations everywhere anytime.... That was 14 years ago.... Yes, its an European Union member but .... No.... You know what i mean:
Walter Hinteler

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 11:00 pm
@momoends,
Someone told me already in the late 1960's: there's a reason God divided us with that ditch - called 'Channel' - from Europe. Wink
saab

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 11:26 pm
@Blickers,
They can hardly have been members for decades as the European Union is 23 years old.
momoends

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 11:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yep, you've seen "doomsday"? The movie clearly explains it all
0 Replies

Blickers

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 11:41 pm
@saab,
Somebody mentioned 1973, but even taking your number of the EU only being 23 years old, that's still decades. In this case, two.
0 Replies

saab

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 11:44 pm
@momoends,
How about the arrogant attitude towards British from the side of France and Germany? It is much older than the thought of EU.
momoends

Sun 4 Sep, 2016 11:47 pm
@saab,
As older as the arrogant attitude towards Spain from the side of france, britain and Germany......
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Sep, 2016 12:49 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
How about the arrogant attitude towards British from the side of France and Germany? It is much older than the thought of EU.
The British-French relation certainly dates back to the Hundred Years war. (Which, however, doesn't hinder tenthousands of UK-citizens to live in France - in Normandy and Brittany, inhabitants of some villages are more than 50% UK-citizens.)

I always wonder from where you got the idea of the "arrogant attitude towards British from the side of Germany".
You notice anti-German sentiments in parts of the British press (and with a few people that read those papers), but here in Germany that's just ... related with football matches between our national teams. (Nearly 300.000 Germans live in the UK)
momoends

Mon 5 Sep, 2016 12:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That took me by surprise too.
0 Replies

saab

Mon 5 Sep, 2016 01:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Where I have it from?
I have lived in Germany and I liked the people and the country, but noticed often in newpapers and daily talk the attitude regarding British and American people.
I have German relatives, I have British relatives or relatives living in GB and in USA and i Denmark. The Danes are more for GB than Germany.
I get it all both the bad and the good.
momoends

Mon 5 Sep, 2016 01:33 am
@saab,
Whats that attitude? I never knew or heard about this..... I heard they dont like that much french culture and of course well never forget merkel calling spain the bitch of europe..... If they dont like british people either..... They may be the one living the european union not the uk