Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The latest speculations are that Cameron will want to do one final PMQs, leading to May becoming PM on Thursday, and a reshuffle on Friday.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
... and within the next few hours, the House of Commons will be ask to debate the urgent question on legal process for leaving EU (article 50).

(The urgent question will be asked in the Commons at 15:30 BST)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

More than 1,000 lawyers have signed a letter addressed to Prime Minister David Cameron saying the EU referendum result is merely “advisory” and not legally binding. Full letter in this report here

Such an outcome would certainly add substantially to the growing record of EU- at-any -cost adherants for using anti democratic means to achieve their ends. The current stresses in the EU arguably derive from the lack of democratic procvess in its governance. Why add to it?

I believe such a move would create a backlash in the UK and in other parts of the EU as well.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:39 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe such a move would create a backlash in the UK and in other parts of the EU as well.
I don't know about referendums in the USA on federal basis, just about the situation here in Germany (and in Switzerland, because referendums there are part of the voting system).
So, on federal basis referendums in Germany are nearly impossible at least as long as we have our constitution ...
Quote:
Article 146
[Duration of the Basic Law]

This Basic Law, which since the achievement of the unity and freedom of Germany applies to the entire German people, shall cease to apply on the day on which a constitution freely adopted by the German people takes effect.

The second possibility for a referendum is, when the territory of states should be changed (like Berlin and Brandenburg, which didn't work; or the creation of Baden-Würtemberg, which worked)
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:05 am
Cameron said he will chair his last cabinet tomorrow. He will take PMQs on Wednesday.
And by Wednesday evening there will be a new PM, he said.

Quote:
We are not going to have a prolonged leadership election campaign. I think Andrea Leadsom made absolutely the right decision to stand aside. It is clear Theresa May has the overwhelming support of the Conservative parliamentary party.
I’m also delighted that Theresa May will be the next prime minister. She is strong, she is competent, she’s more than able to provide the leadership the country is going to need in the years ahead and she will have my full support.
Obviously with these changes we now don’t need to have a prolonged period of transition. And so tomorrow I will chair my last cabinet meeting. On Wednesday I will attend the House of Commons for prime minister’s questions. And then after that I expect to go to the Palace and offer my resignation, so we will have a new prime minister in that building behind me by Wednesday evening.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I agree with the points you make with respect to national law in Germany and Switzerland. However, in view of the several evasions of the results of national elections regarding th EU which have occurred in Europe over the past decade or more, and the stresses regarding EU goovernance which have subsequently arisen among many members, I believe that adding to that record now would be both unwise and imprudent for everyone involved. Better for the EU to face the core political iussues now than to allow them to fester and grow.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:36 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Better for the EU to face the core political iussues now than to allow them to fester and grow.
Certainly.
However, fortunately the EU has no say to national constitution, written or unwritten. And the question, if in order to trigger Article 50, there must first be primary legislation, that was posed by 1,054 UK lawyers, not the EU.
georgeob1

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I agree the EU has no say in the domestic issue currently before the people of the UK. However it (or at least the European adherants of an ever closer union) certainly do have both a say and an interest in addressing some fundamental questions now facing the Union and the symptoms that are now visible across Europe.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:56 am
@georgeob1,
I don't think that this interests the EU, at least not as much as the changes to Poland's legal and institutional framework (and they are [unfortunately, IMO] quiet about those now].)
georgeob1

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I don't think that this interests the EU, ...

Too bad.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 11:08 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
I am referring to your Merkel who said they cannot get back in. What if a new referendum would be different in five years?
As the new leader of the Conservatives and next PM siad today: "Brexit mean Brexit. And we are going to make a success of it."
saab

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 11:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I really hope it will work out well for UK.
I still think it is a shame that they left.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 01:53 pm
@saab,
Congratulating Theresa May, Sturgeon said: “As part of her pitch to her Conservative colleagues earlier today, Ms May made clear that she would be pressing ahead with plans to leave the EU – as such, it is vital that Scotland is involved and consulted at every step of the way.”

“But that involvement does not mean we accept that Scotland should leave the EU. On the contrary, I have made clear that I intend to pursue every possible avenue to secure Scotland’s continued place in Europe and in the world’s biggest single market, and that all options must be on the table in order to achieve that.

That is something I reiterate today to the incoming Prime Minister.” (Source: Politics live with Andrew Sparrow via The Guardian)
0 Replies

contrex

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 03:39 pm
Quote:
EU- at-any -cost adherants for using anti democratic means to achieve their ends.

Let's not forget about leave-the-EU-at-any-cost adherents* using anti democratic means (including racism and lies) to achieve a small majority, which is actually a tryanny. I want my bloody country back.

*Spelling lesson, no charge.
georgeob1

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 03:43 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Quote:
EU- at-any -cost adherants for using anti democratic means to achieve their ends.

Let's not forget about leave-the-EU-at-any-cost adherents* using anti democratic means (including racism and lies) to achieve a small majority, which is actually a tryanny. I want my bloody country back.

Would you say the same thing if the remain vote had prevailed by the same majority?
ossobucotemp

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 03:44 pm
@contrex,
Contrex, I haven't seen you lately, though maybe I've just missed posts. Good to read your take on all this.
0 Replies

contrex

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:54 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

contrex wrote:

Quote:

Would you say the same thing if the remain vote had prevailed by the same majority?

Yes, of course, I don't think there should have been a referendum anyway.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 05:10 am
Things are progressing so quickly. Leadsom didn't seem constitutionally equipped for PM, so good decision to back away.

Cheering the quoted section of May's speech and hope she means what she says.

Wishing Brits success.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/11/cameron-announces-he-will-step-down-after-pmqs-on-wednesday
Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 06:14 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Leadsom didn't seem constitutionally equipped for PM, so good decision to back away.
A lot of a blunders proving her inexperience at Westminster, having only joined parliament in 2010, was the main reason, I think. (Especially her status as a mother of three children that gave her "a very real stake".)

Lash

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 06:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm not knocking motherhood, but sheesh! LOL.
0 Replies