Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 05:38 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
This applies to any career politician. They don't do anything but take bribes.
Well, our two MEP's here have (had) proper jobs: the conservative is a paediatric, the Social-Democrat a foreign language correspondence and commercial clerk.
I'm rather sure, all the others have/had proper jobs as well. I've no knowledge about their bribes.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 06:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Among that what has been said by those who can read but despite the promises made by the leave campaign - British fishermen cannot expect to be granted greater catches after the UK leaves the European Union, and they may face increased economic turmoil.
The British fishing fleets will still be bound by international agreements on fish stocks. (And it wasn’t the EU that gave almost two-thirds of the entire fishing quota of England and Wales to just three companies - it was the British government.)

But to watch those two flotillas (Leave and Remain) on the Thames did look nice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 12:34 pm
@Builder,
The Guardian has listed the professions/jobs of some of the UK's MEPs: Is Nigel Farage right to say MEPs have not done 'proper jobs'? (there are some "career politicians", even a profeesional cricket player but "a restaurateur, an actor, a police officer, several farmers, a couple of teachers, an NHS medical scientist, the director of an umbrella business, a psychiatrist, an investment banker, a couple of accountants, a solid showing of lawyers, and a few academics" as well as a brigadier, a vice-president of J.P. Morgan, a dairy farmer ...

"From Farage’s own party come Julia Reid, who has a PhD in pharmacology and worked as a diabetes laboratory researcher, Steven Woolfe, a barrister, and Patrick O’Flynn, former political editor of the Daily Express. (It is uncertain, however, that journalism would be regarded by the Ukip leader as a proper job, either.)"

Personally and in opposition to Farage, I think those to be "proper jobs".

Farage's attendance as MEP perhaps is an indication that he is doing his own proper job instead of working in/for the EU-parliament or as an elected MEP:
http://i63.tinypic.com/2j66636.jpg
That is during four periods, between June 1999 and April 2016. (Source)
0 Replies

mark noble

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 01:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Joke.
An Englishman, Irishman, and Scotsman walked into a bar.
The Welshman was missing - Coz - He's still in France! Ha-ha.

Not gloating, nor patriotically-attached - Just smiled at the jest.
0 Replies

mark noble

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 01:45 am
@timur,
There's a petition trying to get England back in.
And another asking for a re-run of the Battle of Hastings, too.
mark noble

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 01:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I agree.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:30 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
And another asking for a re-run of the Battle of Hastings, too.

LOL! I hadn't heard about that one.
0 Replies

saab

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 03:00 am
William was a decendent of Vikings, so would that mean Norway would be involved sooner or later? Norway which is not even in EU.
England and Normandy goes to Norway in this mess....
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 03:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The next (logical) step for the UK could be leaving the Council of Europe - because there's the reason for many EU-laws: democracy, rule of law, human rights, economic development and of course the European Convention on Human Rights (> European Court of Human Rights).

Do you think they will have to substantially redraw this chart, or will they just be able to reposition the UK's flag in a different spot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Supranational_European_Bodies

I don't think there is much opposition to democracy and human rights. A lot of the people who wanted to leave were complaining about business regulations.

Well, 'Vote Leave' pointed to several rulings of the European Court of Justice, using this as an argument for the Brexit. (I gave several responses about this earlier.)

Based on the above chart, there are several degrees of separation that the UK could choose.

a) They could leave the European Union, but join the European Free Trade Association, thereby remaining part of the European Economic Area (some people are calling this the Norway option). Currently Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein have this status with the EU.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Free_Trade_Association
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area

It sounds to me like this would free the UK of the agricultural regulations that some of the British farmers were upset about, and would eliminate the taxes paid to the EU, but it would still allow for strong economic ties to the EU. It wouldn't make the anti-immigrant people happy though. I believe uncontrolled immigration would continue as before under this option. Stay campaigners will probably make this their first choice if they fail in their efforts to get a re-vote.

b) They could leave the European Union and the European Economic Area, but remain part of the European Union Customs Union. Currently Turkey, Monaco, Andorra, and San Marino have this status with the EU.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Customs_Union

It sounds to me like this would allow them to also block immigration, while still leaving strong trade ties to the EU. I think people from the UK would no longer have visa-free entry into the EU under this option though. I'm guessing this might be the option that Leave campaigners ultimately favor.

c) They could leave the European Union, the European Economic Area, and the European Union Customs Union, but remain part of the Council of Europe.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe

It sounds to me like this would cut most economic ties with the EU. Probably a lot more separation than most in the UK want.

d) They could leave all of the above.

It sounds to me like this would involve separating from the EU on matters like democracy and human rights. The Leave campaign may have complained about the European Court of Justice, but I really don't see many in the UK favoring this option.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 04:54 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Based on the above chart, there are several degrees of separation that the UK could choose.

a) They could leave the European Union, but join the European Free Trade Association, thereby remaining part of the European Economic Area (some people are calling this the Norway option). Currently Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein have this status with the EU.
That would mean: the EU's "four freedoms" are guarenteed: the free movement of goods, persons, services, and capital among the EEA countries.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 04:58 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
b) They could leave the European Union and the European Economic Area, but remain part of the European Union Customs Union. Currently Turkey, Monaco, Andorra, and San Marino have this status with the EU.
This customs union actually is part of the European Economic Community. And - quoting from your wiki-link: "Monaco and the British territories of Akrotiri and Dhekelia, Guernsey, Isle of Man and Jersey are integral parts of the EU's customs territory, while Andorra, San Marino and Turkey, a candidate for EU membership, are each in a customs union with the EU."

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 05:00 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
c) They could leave the European Union, the European Economic Area, and the European Union Customs Union, but remain part of the Council of Europe.
You correctly noted that the Council of Europe has nothing to do with the EU and thus wasn't questioned in said referendum
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 05:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
d) They could leave all of the above.
See my response to your c)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 05:46 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The Leave campaign may have complained about the European Court of Justice ...
They've compalined about the European Court of Justice (that's an EU-institution) as well.
On Monday, Boris Johnson said again that is no appeal from the European Court of Justice (Source. That's correct - this court is the court of appeal. ( all cases heard at first instance by the General Court may be subject to a right of appeal to the Court of Justice.) The EU has a judicial system based just on two levels of jurisdiction, most is done at national courts.
mark noble

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 07:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
"Hunt", yesterday (I listened to the 'actual' conversation - A la radio -Live) SAID "A second (NEW) referendum was needed to plot the 'way-ahead' (POST-BREXIT).
The BBC (ROTHMEDIA) excluded the POINT - AND RELAYED THUS - "2nd referendum inevitable".

Go to trough, and Drink.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 08:04 am
@mark noble,
In the Telegraph Hunt wrote the UK should negotiate a "Norway plus" option for the UK with Brussels, which would see "full access to the single market with a sensible compromise on free movement rules".

This would mean, not a "membership light" like Norway et. al. but a complete different new "free membership outside the essential EU-key rights".
Doubtful that could be the result, but who knows?
mark noble

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 08:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I heard him 'talking' LIVE.
The media quoted him, telegraph, guardian, BBC, et al, - Lucidly...

Miss a word/phrase, here and there - Context-dissolved.

The UK is leaving the EU.
Scotland contributes NOTHING but a haven for US interests, and can FK.....off to Antarctica-for all I care.

Goodbye yellow brix-road.

E. John.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 08:20 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
The media quoted him, telegraph, guardian, BBC, et al, - Lucidly...
So the Telegraph and Hunt were lying that it was an interview? Could really be so, looking at both of them ...
mark noble

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 09:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hunt spoke clearly (Not that anyone ever heard of him, or gives a dead pig for his opinion), but the media played the '2nd referendum-card'
HEADLINE:
HUNT: 2nd REFERENDUM 'INEVITABLE'!

Now, perceive this 'a la flock'.
What he said was 'ANOTHER REFERENDUM ON THE PATH AHEAD!'
NOT "A RE-RUN OF THE "BREXIT-BOLLUX".

'Follow-up vote' - NOT 'RE-VOTE'.

Misleading f-wads.
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 09:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote Walter:
Quote:
In the Telegraph Hunt wrote the UK should negotiate a "Norway plus" option for the UK with Brussels, which would see "full access to the single market with a sensible compromise on free movement rules".

This would mean, not a "membership light" like Norway et. al. but a complete different new "free membership outside the essential EU-key rights".
Doubtful that could be the result, but who knows?

Who knows is correct. One thing you seem to downplay is that as the country with the fifth largest economy, accommodations will very likely be made for the UK that you would not make for smaller countries. You seem to be caught up in saying, "Well the EU can't do this and the EU can't do that". The EU is a political/economic thing, and in those things money talks.