Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Wed 15 Jun, 2016 02:55 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
If there is Brexit, I'm going to Spain. Or France. Possibly if there is a Scottish independence referendum, and they leave the UK, I could move to Edinburgh. if there is Brexit, it means complete shits like Boris, absolute tossers like Farage, and white-van-men Sun reading ignorant yahoos have taken over, and I don't want to be part of such a country.
Pas de panique! From today's Guardian: A Brexit survival guide: freeze your cheese and holiday in Albania
Lash

Wed 15 Jun, 2016 06:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That article is hilarious. Thanks for sharing. I plastered it on Facebook. Looks like the polling predicts the Leave. Good luck, Europeans! Hope it shakes out to your favor.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 08:24 am
There are rumours that a member of Britain First tried to kill Labour MP Jo Cox (she's a strong remain supporter). She was stabbed and shot twice this afternoon, is in serious condition. All campaigns have been stopped
Lash

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 08:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Good grief! Quite closely-held hopes pinned on this issue.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:22 am
@Lash,
The Labour MP Jo Cox died after the attack.
RIP.

The inquiry is at an early stage, and an individual is under arrest. The police are not able to discuss motives at this time, it has been said by a spokeswoman.
ehBeth

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Absolutely dreadful.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Horrible.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Thu 16 Jun, 2016 12:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
a member of Britain First

He actually shouted 'Britain first!' as he carried out the attack, according to witnesses. He cannot have helped the Leave effort, if that is what he was doing. Quite the reverse. A large number of Nigel Farage's UKIP supporters and party members have links to far-right parties like Britain First. I shudder for my country.

0 Replies

Lash

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:55 am
I click on one of my morning news sources, and the headlines scream "Britain gripped by frightening nationalism" and just as scary subheadings. The neo-Nazis seem to be capitalizing on the Brexit movement, and the media/ opposition appears to be broad brushing the entire movement.

I see Brexit as a pushback against creeping neoliberalism, but it's easy to see how it can be used by nationalist interests. Did the MP's assassination change the argument significantly?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5762ea96e4b09c926cfe81da
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:03 am
FYI Eurpoean readers, MSNBC had no mention of any Brexit-related stories; CNN just had this:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/19/europe/uk-brexit-campaigns-resume/index.html
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:07 am
As usual, The Guardian does it much better.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/18/england-eu-referendum-brexit
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 02:13 pm
I see the referendum campaign is entering its baroque phase... an Israeli pro-settlement group called Regavim is campaigning for Britain to leave the EU to punish it for what it says is its pro-Palestinian stance. Its campaign includes a mock video of a masked Palestinian militant purportedly from the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip urging UK citizens to remain in the European Union because it supports the Palestinians. Yet another reason to vote Remain.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 04:57 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
The Conservative peer, Baroness Warsi (a former cabinet minister) said the 'hate and xenophobia' of Leave had gone 'too far' - thus, she changed from Brexit to Remain.
Immediately afterwards she was subjected to Islamophobic abuse by Brexit supporters.
Lash

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 06:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Another way to put this is that those Europeans who stand to profit from Britain remaining are attempting to make the decent Brits who want to leave for realistic reasons feel lumped in with the xenophobes.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 06:48 am
@Lash,
Baroness Warsi is a member of the (UK) Conservative Party and former Cabinet Minister of the UK.
Lash

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 06:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The thing that bothers me is she seems to have been a rational woman of conscience who changed her mind solely because of the low character of some of the more vocal racists on the leave side.

She shouldn't be swayed by that.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 07:09 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The thing that bothers me is she seems to have been a rational woman of conscience who changed her mind solely because of the low character of some of the more vocal racists on the leave side.
She 'wouldn't get on a night bus' with Michael Gove (the Lord Chancellor. Secretary of State for Justice, MP) as she accuses him of 'complete lies' in Brexit campaign.
http://i68.tinypic.com/2hrdg7t.jpg
She said that she had switched her allegiances from the Leave campaign to that of Remain because of the Justice Secretary's claims that Turkey would be given EU membership imminently.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 08:47 am
https://www.google.com/amp/order-order.com/2016/06/20/warsi-wanted-europe-declined-join-leave-campaign/amp/?client=safari#

This is becoming a Seinfeld episode. Was she or wasn't she ever even a part of Leave?

Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 09:14 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
This is becoming a Seinfeld episode. Was she or wasn't she ever even a part of Leave?
Actually she had been one of the first (if not THE first) leading Conservatives ... she had started campaigning for Brexit as early as summer last year.
Quote:
http://i66.tinypic.com/50mqvl.jpg

(In the early days the Brexit coalition was known as Business for Britain.)
Lash

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 09:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Lots of conflicting narratives. I think that's probably going to crescendo through to the vote. I'm reading with great interest. Please continue to bring any articles you find interesting or informative.
0 Replies