Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 05:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Britain 'could remain under direct control of European court for years'

Quote:
Britain could remain under the direct control of the European court of justice for years after Brexit, it has emerged, and still be forced to implement the court’s rulings on vexed issues such as immigration.

The expanding scale of the prime minister’s climbdown over her promise to “take back control of British law” was revealed as the government published its latest position paper on dispute resolution before the next round of Brexit
talks
0 Replies

lmur

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 08:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's like Schrodinger's Cat for dual-citizens!
0 Replies

centrox

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 04:50 am
At last! Labour (I am a member) has finally grown a pair:

Quote:
[under] a Labour government the UK would continue to abide by the EU’s free movement rules, accept the jurisdiction of the European court of justice on trade and economic issues, and pay into the EU budget for a period of years after Brexit, in the hope of lessening the shock of leaving to the UK economy. In a further move that will delight many pro-EU Labour backers, Jeremy Corbyn’s party will also leave open the option of the UK remaining a member of the customs union and single market for good, beyond the end of the transitional period.

Maybe even cancel Brexit, some commentators say, if it looks like producing a bad result for Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017/aug/26/labour-calls-for-lengthy-transitional-period-post-brexit

Quote:
Labour is not ruling out remaining in the customs union and the single market permanently if it can achieve the reforms it seeks. Put simply, a Labour government would try to keep the country inside the EU economic union during the transition period – while leaving the political union – and possibly beyond.

Quote:
Labour’s next move will be to seek support in the Commons from pro-EU Tory MPs and others for its new position, as it tries to amend the bill and stop hard Brexit in its tracks. The stage is set for an autumn of extraordinary Brexit battles in parliament, running in parallel with equally momentous ones in Brussels.

Bring it on!

Walter Hinteler

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:18 am
@centrox,
Somehow all the discussions, opinions and changing policies re Brexit remind me of (the "Live Sound" period of) TOTP: some really peculiar funny moments and some good performances, but finally it had be cancelled.
centrox

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
TOTP

Just don't mention Jimmy Savile.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 07:38 am
Quote:
Campaign groups representing EU citizens seeking to protect their right to remain in the UK after Brexit have warned they will reject any deal that gives the Home Office a say in their future.
Source/full report
Walter Hinteler

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 07:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Pro-Brexit Twitter account account with 100,000 followers could be part of Russian 'disinformation campaign'
Or someone living around the Solent really has tim to post every day on twitter between 5am and 5pm.
Blickers

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 04:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As the investigation of Trump and Russia goes on, people will see Brexit as part of the Russian cyberwar effort. If Europe doesn't want it and the UK doesn't want it, there's no reason Brexit has to happen.
Olivier5

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 06:27 am
@Blickers,
Europe wants it.
Blickers

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 09:39 am
@Olivier5,
Any recent evidence for that? Like in the last couple of months. As the Trump presidency, the weakening of NATO and Brexit increasingly are revealed as being part of Russia's cyber-aggression, I believe the Europeans might have second thoughts.
ehBeth

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 09:40 am
@Olivier5,
And Canadians want Europe to want it - many of us would prefer a hook-up with Europe instead of the US or the UK. There have recently been quite a few mmmm exploratory meetings.
Olivier5

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 09:45 am
@Blickers,
I was half-kidding. Not all Europeans have the same idea about Brexit. I support it, personally, on the ground that the UK has never been in the EU to support it, but to undermine it. This feeling is shared by many of my compatriots.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 10:41 am
@ehBeth,
It's funny what Canadians say about the US, but love to shop here. https://blog.mint.com/saving/canadians-love-to-shop-us-03292011/
centrox

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 10:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's funny what Canadians say about the US, but love to shop here. https://blog.mint.com/saving/canadians-love-to-shop-us-03292011/

I know lots of Brits who are very sneery about France and Europe who take their cars to France and fill them up with booze and cigarettes, and fly to Spain for vacations.
0 Replies

alphabeta

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 10:26 am
@Lash,
Because of the multiculti invasion. Because the EU is a stepping stone to a world government run by an evil elite.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 10:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Some do . Some don't .

Some love the Americans who come to shop here. Some don't.
cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:32 pm
@ehBeth,
I've done my share of world travel, and find it interesting when people of one country dislike another for any reason.
ehBeth

Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm fairly sure it's not people disliking other people. It's more of a political/macro-economics issue.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 02:30 pm
I'm just starting to read about the Catalonian bid for independence.

Looks a little Brexit-y.

I'll be back after some reading.
-------------------------------

Not yet. It is money and autonomy-related, but the only desired exit is from Spain at this point.
cicerone imposter

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 03:06 pm
@Lash,
I think I can see why there is division between Spain and Catalonians.